Quantcast

Fort William World Cup DH 2012- official?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No, that is not what I was "suggesting".
Ok, I guess I wasn't sure what you were trying to say with this:

Maybe that statement was an excuse for being beaten so badly
If you accept that he really did have a mechanical issue (e.g. a janked up chain guide), then I can easily see how it could slow him down and cost him some time, rather than him "playing it safe" with a tactical 6th place.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I should have made it more clear. I was refering to his performance and interview after VDS.
My point was; If you back off at all, or ride in fear of crashing, at one race banking on a better performance/outcome at the next (as implied in his interview), that can bite you in the ass.

Was it probable that he could have made up the deficit at VDS between himself and Gwin from qualis to race day? Maybe not, but stating that he raced with that mindset kinda turned me off a bit. He seemed to think that he would have a better shot at Ft. Bill and ended up with a mechanical.

I know the potential implications of what I'm saying, but I would rather see overall titles won by pure racing vs. tactical racing.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Accidental release is a problem for some riders on SPD's. That's why the Time and Crankbros stuff is on bikes- the lateral float on those systems nearly eliminates blowing off the pedals and it's why Shimano has made a few pair of extra heavily sprung DX pedals for some riders over the last 4 years.
Balls. A big hit to the foot/pedal will see you ripped out of Times just the same as Shimanos. I ran 2 pairs of Time Z Controls for around 10 years

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I should have made it more clear. I was refering to his performance and interview after VDS.
My point was; If you back off at all, or ride in fear of crashing, at one race banking on a better performance/outcome at the next (as implied in his interview), that can bite you in the ass.

Was it probable that he could have made up the deficit at VDS between himself and Gwin from qualis to race day? Maybe not, but stating that he raced with that mindset kinda turned me off a bit. He seemed to think that he would have a better shot at Ft. Bill and ended up with a mechanical.

I know the potential implications of what I'm saying, but I would rather see overall titles won by pure racing vs. tactical racing.
I hear ya, I just took his post-VDS comments as "I really didn't feel comfortable going much faster than I did, which was still faster than anybody else on the planet save Rock Jesus, and I'd rather not Kovarik myself into oblivion with 5 races to go in the season...I'm still tied with RJ after this result, and I think I have a legitimate shot at winning at most if not all the remaining venues...Hail Satan."

(all due respect to Mr. Kovarik)

I could be wrong, but I don't think we're going to see another VDS Gwinolition this year, and Greg (and a few others) are still well within striking distance.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
what? accidental release? I dunno about that man, CB was the absolute worst for being not clipped in when you thought you were....adjustable tension pretty much ensures you know exactly when you're at the end of your float. agree to disagree I guess....dx's are pretty much the only pedal on all my bikes...save truvativ flats on the dj/pumptracker
I'm with ya man, I've run Times (for a good 10 years) CBs and am now back on Shimano with 647s. I just find it interesting that the Athertons who are in all the Shimano ads and everything are not running Shimano pedals. I'm sure they've tried them and found a fault, real or imagined. I'm also thinking of how many iterations of road pedal Shimano went through so that Lance would stop running Looks.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Thought Brendan had a knock off G-Star jacket on then realized it said "troy lee"

Red Bull has thoroughly sanitized Rob Warner... pretty disappointing.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I found out the story on Gwin's tire trouble from Bontrager's tire development guy:

"Yep, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.70 (true size is 2.50) up front for Sat qualifying with Bontrager G4 rear 2.35 (same as Maxxis 2.50)... Aaron wanted a larger size front for all the rocks and we don't have our G4 2.50's ready yet. HOWEVER, Aaron struggled so much with front end traction in qualifying, he chose to go back to the G4 front 2.35 with our new G5 rear 2.35 (prototype - due out next year). He was so much more comfortable and confident- it showed on Sunday!"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I assume what slowed Beaumont down was the butt skid he did to get the bent rotor and not the bend itself. Warner mentioned it during the feed that he had a greasy kit.

I thought the biggest story of the weekend was how absolutely gassed everyone looked except Hill and Hart. Every other rider looked exhausted.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I assume what slowed Beaumont down was the butt skid he did to get the bent rotor and not the bend itself. Warner mentioned it during the feed that he had a greasy kit.

I thought the biggest story of the weekend was how absolutely gassed everyone looked except Hill and Hart. Every other rider looked exhausted.
they obviously didn't give it their all...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

It's nothing tactical. We all do it - ride a bit more cautious on tracks we feel less comfortable on. Have you never done that? Very few riders ride full speed all the time, even Sam in peak form did slow down on some local races. The only rider who goes berzerk on the bike 100% of the time if Smith but he just believes the canadian bacon fairy will reward him every time he finishes a run.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I found out the story on Gwin's tire trouble from Bontrager's tire development guy:

"Yep, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.70 (true size is 2.50) up front for Sat qualifying with Bontrager G4 rear 2.35 (same as Maxxis 2.50)... Aaron wanted a larger size front for all the rocks and we don't have our G4 2.50's ready yet. HOWEVER, Aaron struggled so much with front end traction in qualifying, he chose to go back to the G4 front 2.35 with our new G5 rear 2.35 (prototype - due out next year). He was so much more comfortable and confident- it showed on Sunday!"
Gwin said he had a 2.7 minion on for quailis. But I take all of everything else that was said with a grain of salt. Gwin has been on minions for the last two races. I don't remember pmb. But every pic has clearly shown sharpied minions on his bike.

I've been kinda curious why he hasn't been on the bonteager tires.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm with ya man, I've run Times (for a good 10 years) CBs and am now back on Shimano with 647s. I just find it interesting that the Athertons who are in all the Shimano ads and everything are not running Shimano pedals. I'm sure they've tried them and found a fault, real or imagined. I'm also thinking of how many iterations of road pedal Shimano went through so that Lance would stop running Looks.
Not that it really matters, but Armstrong never used Looks until very late in his career. He just used older Look-compatible Shimano pedals for a long time. It's not too uncommon for people not to change contact point equipment even when newer models are available.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
looks like a butcher. I bet he was running blacked out speci tires
Wrong again

The whole Team is allowed to run Bontrager or Maxxis and they have all been riding Bontrager the whole season.

They are not blacked out anything.

_DSC4147.jpg

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wrong again
He's kidding.

But these sure do look like the tire I've owned like a hundred of at this point. Them side knobs don't look like the bontragers.

embiggify for greater internet science.

All sizes | gwin final race run | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And these are definitely minYawns on the front, bontys on the rear (for the gopro.....when it counts)

All sizes | gwin full | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
edit: not that I really care that much......a mountain biker ate shlt on a gravely turn........ooh "news" But this guy has a pretty sick flicker page!

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Ok. Well in gwins bike check on dirt he had minions on the bike.
i think the confusion lies in practice/quali's and finals runs. nobody is disputing he's had minions on his bike, but for finals he looks to be using bonty's in all races so far.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wrong again

The whole Team is allowed to run Bontrager or Maxxis and they have all been riding Bontrager the whole season.

They are not blacked out anything.

View attachment 111259
I'm sure you've picked up on it now, but I was making a joke :)

Also, drawing a comparison between the new bontrager butcher and the specialized butcher.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I swear I'm gonna copyright all these nicknames. People are ripping me off so bad with "Butcher". No royalties either. I'm gonna buy a Santa Cruz Butcher and run a Bontrager Butcher and a Specialized Butcher and then hang out on the corner.

Then people will say"Hey, Bizutch! Nice Butcher and Butcher on your Butcher. Later Butcher!"