Quantcast

Formula The One plus Shimano olive/barb = ?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone ever try this? I have a Formula brake I want to shorten the hose on, and I have an assload of Shimano fittings sitting around. Visually they're the same design but I don't have a great way to check the dimensions and I'd rather not try it and then have a non-functional brake for a while when it doesn't work. Anyone have insight?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've run Avid olives on both Formula and Shimano brakes with success, so you'll probably be fine. I usually try to re-use the correct barb, as it can often be carefully recovered from the hose without damage (unlike the olive) - but as long as they're of similar shape it's usually okay to use the 'wrong' barb too.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I was gonna do this on a friend's bike but noticed his Formula barb had 2 o-rings while the Shimano had none. We played it safe and ordered Formula bits, $24 wholesale from QBP! These had 1 o-ring but are working fine. I'd love to use Shimano olive/barb in the future if it works.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I was gonna do this on a friend's bike but noticed his Formula barb had 2 o-rings while the Shimano had none. We played it safe and ordered Formula bits, $24 wholesale from QBP! These had 1 o-ring but are working fine. I'd love to use Shimano olive/barb in the future if it works.
The formula barbs do not have two orings. The olive settles enough to give the illusion of two orings. The seal on the Formula barb is a little thicker than a shimano. To recover a barb just clip the hose with enough left over to clamp in a vise. Then you can dremel off the old olive. Just cut it in two places and you can pull it off by hand. Use a sharp razor knife to cut the barb free from the hose layers.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
For anyone wondering why bother with all this effort to avoid Formula fittings, it's because Formula stuff is expensive! I think a kit to shorten and set up one hose is about 20-25 bucks retail. F1 prices for F1 performance, I suppose.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
F1 prices for F1 performance, I suppose.
the answer to this thread is goodridge lines and fittings.. had my stroker aces w/ GR fittings and lines on my dh, when i parted that out i kept the brakes as a temp thing for my trail bike. super easy to undo the fittings, cut the lines, and re-use the fittings :)

edit:
GR isnt f1 or anything, but i do know they use their fittings and lines on v8 supercars. good enough for me. :thumb:

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
GR isnt f1 or anything, but i do know they use their fittings and lines on v8 supercars. good enough for me. :thumb:
straight from their website

We are proud that our products are used in Nascar, F1, Indy Car, Moto GP, IPL, NHRA, WSB, BSB, Superstock, GT, F2, F3, Supersport, Thunderbike, WRC and many more.

I have their hoses on my Formula T1 and have no complaints

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
wow, i had only seen them on supercars. i didnt know they did f1 stuff as well (was playing it on the safe side), very neat.

i am still impressed to this day by the quality on their lines and fittings. will definitely be buying more when when i get another set of brakes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So this works fairly well- reusing the barb and a shimano olive? I have some formula brakes off my enduro going on another bike that need shortening and tons of spares for my shimano brakes. I was tempted to just buy another pair of xts but the formulas are fine.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So this works fairly well- reusing the barb and a shimano olive? I have some formula brakes off my enduro going on another bike that need shortening and tons of spares for my shimano brakes. I was tempted to just buy another pair of xts but the formulas are fine.
Yup.5