Quantcast

Formula brake bleed

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
So, I need to bleed brakes on my DH bike. I have Formula the Ones MY10. They are labeled DOT 4, however, the closest I could find is a brake fluid labeled for DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake systems. I emailed emailed Formula and they told me to use the best DOT 4 fluid I could find and absolutely not to use DOT 5, DOT 5.1 or mineral oil. So is the stuff I have ok to use?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So, I need to bleed brakes on my DH bike. I have Formula the Ones MY10. They are labeled DOT 4, however, the closest I could find is a brake fluid labeled for DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake systems. I emailed emailed Formula and they told me to use the best DOT 4 fluid I could find and absolutely not to use DOT 5, DOT 5.1 or mineral oil. So is the stuff I have ok to use?
does your LBS have any avid brake fluid?
and why wouldnt you be able to use 5.1 in the system? its essentially the same as 3 and 4

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
Further to this,

Is there any aftermarket lever options for the ones..?

I know twenty 6 made them for 09 but thats it!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have some avid fluid that is labeled DOT 5.1. Formula recommended staying away from that.
they should maybe change their site then. 5.1 will work fine
What type of fluid do my Formula brakes use and where can I get it?
Formula Brakes come stock with a High Performance DOT 4 fluid. We strongly recommend using DOT 4 when bleeding you brakes. DOT fluid is available from your local auto parts store, but if you want a better selection of High Performance fluids you may be better off checking out a Motorcycle store. Formula Brakes are compatible with any glycol based DOT fluid, which includes DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1. DO NOT use DOT 5!! It is silicone based and not compatible with the seals in your brake.
http://formulabrakeusa.com/faq/

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On this subject, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find DOT 5.1 that isn't at a bike store that will charge an obnoxious price for a tiny bottle?

I can't find the stuff anywhere here.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A lot of motorbike / motocross stores will carry DOT 5.1. Motul makes some.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If they are all compatible what's the difference between them then? Why they called different numbers?
They are different standards, which have different requirements for boiling point and viscosity. For example (if my memory serves me right) DOT3 has a lower boiling point requirement than DOT4, but also a lower viscosity requirement. DOT5.1 is designed for ABS systems and has a higher boiling point requirement than DOT3 but is also required to be very low viscosity to flow through the small ABS channels.

This is why the highest boiling point fluids (eg. Motul RBF series) are DOT4 fluids, as they don't meet the viscosity cutoff for DOT5.1.

I don't think it matters hugely what you use in bicycles as long as the bleed is good and there is no air present. Perhaps if you ride in the Alps or very steep and long trails, a high boiling point would be beneficial.

brownie1664

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
England
If they are all compatible what's the difference between them then? Why they called different numbers?
DOT 4 glycol based fluid has a higher boiling point (446F) than DOT 3 (401F), and both fluids will exhibit a reduced boiling point as water content increases. Viscosity of DOT 4 is more than DOT 3. Since DOT 4 fluids were developed, it was recognized that borate ester based fluids offered the potential for boiling points beyond the 446F requirement, thus came the Super DOT 4 fluids - some covered by the DOT 5.1 designation - which exhibit a minimum dry boiling point of 500F (same as silicone, but different chemistry).

When you've just replaced your brake fluid and the system has been properly bled, you are working at the Dry boiling temperature. Over time, water works its way into the system through age, heat cycling, through the hoses, etc. You are then working at your Wet boiling point for the fluid.

DOT 5 is completely different and is silicone based, it is not compatible with DOT 3 and 4 systems