Quantcast

for all you 5-Spot fans...well not exactly...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
here is my tried and true Kona Bear Dee-Lux, I have beat the crap out of her for well over a year now I think almost two if my memory serves me. I had to warranty the seat-stay once (tiny crack due to jumping etc.) but all things considered it has been bullet-proof! It weighs exactly 30# and has 4" rear and a TALAS up front. It also has dialed geometry and ample tire clearance for big tubeless Michi 2.5's. It ain't a 5-Spot but it cost half as much and works 90% (or more) as well! I know it's not a horst link but with 4" of travel it's really hard to tell. I have had many horst bikes in the past to compare to, including most recently a 2002 Specialized Enduro Pro. Next years model of "Dawg" (Kona's newer name for the Bear line) will be a full 5" so it will be even more of a rival to the Turner. I personally think 4" is plenty for this kind of bike. Anyway it might be boring to you fancy schmancy ( ;) )Turner owners but it serves me damn well! now if Michi only really made blue tires...instead of pink (red w/dust all over). I think the comp 24 lights are in the cards for when these wildgrippers wear out...

how it really looks with super sweet pink tires...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
wait, that's photoshop, right? man, it looks sweet with blue tires. Nokian makes blue tires. you should get some of those. you should get a blue salsa seat collar too
the best thing about not having a horst pivot is that there's no pivot for your derailleur to bang against every time you hit a big bump.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Acadian said:
Nice Kona...but you know you want one... :D
I saw a red one in the back of a pick-up and kind of drove off the highway taking in th view.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I heard that you can bolt the RFX rockers on a 5-spot to yield a 6-spot. Shhhh I was told it was a secret though....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
so what you're saying is that you're secretly bitter that you can't afford the shiny Turner and would love to have it instead for the sheer pimpness factor?.....but that you're perfectly content to settle for your current steed who makes you quite happy eve if it doesn't give you the coolness points down at the coffee shop that a 5 spot would.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
bizutch said:
so what you're saying is that you're secretly bitter that you can't afford the shiny Turner and would love to have it instead for the sheer pimpness factor?.....but that you're perfectly content to settle for your current steed who makes you quite happy eve if it doesn't give you the coolness points down at the coffee shop that a 5 spot would.
something like that, more or less...

No really my point was that everybody loooves the Turners but never mentions the Konas (Dawg, Bear) which are similar and much less dinéro. Mostly though, yup I just have developed a love for my (relatively simple) bike over time!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Bear/Dawg uses a 6.5x1.5" but the new longer travel one will be a longer stroke shock, not sure the specs yet...

Funny Luc, very funny! But that I-2-I looks more like 4.XX" to me maybe more... now for the stroke, you probably have that figure pegged!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
here's a picture of my 7 spot... Or should I call it a DHR?

What is today "pretend your bike is the bike you really want but can't afford" day?

JLP

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
Fremont, Ca
Acadian said:
Nice Kona...but you know you want one... :D
What hitch are you using? I have a wrx wagon as well. I have an aftermarket exhaust, I assume the hitch goes over the exhaust tip. How much clearance is there? thanks

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ill be supporting my teams sponsor on my non turner frame with these beauties i just did in CAD. Ill get them cut from vinyl sticker paper today.....

*edit: they are doubled up like that to do a papercut out to check the fit on my frame.....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Kornphlake said:
What is today "pretend your bike is the bike you really want but can't afford" day?
I just new if I posted "look at my Kona" no one would even open the page...BTW I have been told the word Kona in Portugese means the old love tunnel...you know the ummm, "fachina" can anybody verify this?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
JLP said:
What hitch are you using? I have a wrx wagon as well. I have an aftermarket exhaust, I assume the hitch goes over the exhaust tip. How much clearance is there? thanks
Factory Suby hitch...

if you do a google search you should be able to find info on it. Yes it does go over the exhaust.

I think www.subymods.com has some tech info on it (installation included)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
oly said:
Ill be supporting my teams sponsor on my non turner frame with these beauties i just did in CAD. Ill get them cut from vinyl sticker paper today.....

....check the link in my sig. Been messing with decal stuff & it is addictive :help:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
JLP said:
I just got an outback sport wagon (Impreza based as well) and have a draw-tite hitch (got it from ETrailer.com). Wasn't too hard to install; just bolted right up, save a slight awkwardness getting it to fit around the stock exhaust (plus they sent the wrong size nut to re-attach the rubber exhaust mount), and the Sportworks rack works really well with the car...although the 1 1/4 just looks small to me, and bounces a little on the road. (damn CA freeway surfaces set me up for that in places.) I'm amazed at how little the rack affects the handling, though. You can still really carve it up in the mountains...

Not much clearance from that little factory exhaust on my non-turbo 2.5L, though. Might be a problem with an aftermarket.

If you can, find a place that will make a custom hitch for your car and exhaust, and have them make it a 2" if possible (explain it's for a rack and not a trailer). If I had the choice or the forethought, that would have made the rack feel more secure to me than the 1 1/4" mount.

MD