Quantcast

first new bike in 12 years tire-kicking questions

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
sup monkeys

still riding my 2002-ish Cove Stiffee FR 26" hardtail w/Marz Z1. I've replaced parts over the years: Easton Havoc wheels, SLX cranks, etc.

I'm probably about a year out from a new bike purchase, but am just starting the research phase. Pretty overwhelming with all the new choices in the last 10 years (carbon, full suspension, wheel sizes).

My riding is mostly cross country-ish Maryland riding (Patapsco and Rosaryville, almost exclusively). I've never ridden a full-suspension bike in my life. I imagine pedal bob would drive me nuts.

So what's out there? I'm 6'1. 180-190lbs. Been riding since 1998. I'm thinking a 29" full suspension (that pedals well)? My local shop is real sweet on Stumpjumpers.

I'd say 4k would be an absolute max. Closer to 3 is way better. Thanks for any insight/thoughts on things i should check out.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
A 29" or 27.5 " full suspension (Stumpjumper) will do you right and a good fit for Patapsco. Bikes have come a long way since '98. Just make sure you clear your schedule after your purchase.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
A 29" or 27.5 " full suspension (Stumpjumper) will do you right and a good fit for Patapsco. Bikes have come a long way since '98. Just make sure you clear your schedule after your purchase.
thanks for the info. those bikes are on the demo list.

sitting around last night, i was wondering if i could put together a titanium 29er hardtail with used frame/fork/wheels for similar money. Always wanted ti hardtail...wondering if that would be a good option compared to an aluminum full suspension bike. I do hate creaks/noises. 1x11 sounds really appealing too.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Creaks/noises are so '98. Been riding full sus since '02, haven't ridden a hardtail since.
Why put together a frankenbike from the 90's when you can have a modern marvel of ingenuity for the same cost? Unless your into classics.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
thanks for the info. those bikes are on the demo list.

sitting around last night, i was wondering if i could put together a titanium 29er hardtail with used frame/fork/wheels for similar money. Always wanted ti hardtail...wondering if that would be a good option compared to an aluminum full suspension bike. I do hate creaks/noises. 1x11 sounds really appealing too.
Make sure you demo some new full suspension bikes before you decide to go down that route. modern geo full suspension bikes are just so good, it would be hard for me to pick a hardtail over a fully as my only bike..

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Creaks/noises are so '98. Been riding full sus since '02, haven't ridden a hardtail since.
Why put together a frankenbike from the 90's when you can have a modern marvel of ingenuity for the same cost? Unless your into classics.
that's great to hear. thanks for the reply

Make sure you demo some new full suspension bikes before you decide to go down that route. modern geo full suspension bikes are just so good, it would be hard for me to pick a hardtail over a fully as my only bike..
will do. local shop does the demo-towards-purchase thing, so i'd like to try a more XC frame and a trail frame. I have a late 90's bias against Specialized, but I'm hearing good things in 2014.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
29ers are so 2006. :D

You should def try out some full sus bikes and see if the bob *does* drive you crazy. If it does, full carbon blingy HTs are WELL within your price range.

And SpecialEd does make nice bikes - but they are an a$$hole company and you should avoid them.

With all that said - I wouldn't touch a HT with a 10-foot pole. But I'm old.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Doing my research, it looks like my slack, early 2000's freeride hardtail is not drastically different from the current slack geometry trend. I was thinking I might want to go with a steeper head tube angle, but if there's one thing I love about my bike (67 degree HT angle/26" hardtail), it's how happy it is on a fast downhill. I don't want to lose that handling characteristic.

Is a Stumpjumper Evo, Bronson, etc too much for what I ride?

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
more or less..
Spesh Stump = Trail riding
Spesh Enduro = All Mountain
Bronson = AM
Solo = Trail

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
looks cool. what's their build quality like?

also liking the looks of the two Canfield 29er offerings.
ive heard good things, and bad. i think the bad was from a hard tail. i dont remember 100%, its been a while.

the guys in the video looked like they were having fun on theirs though. they were shreddin!