Quantcast

Finally got my Avy on the Disco!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Thanks again to Brian. The older upper linkage plates ended up not working at all with my PUSH or the Avy. Shock ended up being too long? :confused: Were there any changes made in the swingarm throughout the years? Brian said that I definitely have a newer one. Ended up mounting the shock upside down. Craig highly advised against it since the hose has movement. At least I won't be blowin up the shock anymore :D Not having to run an 850lb spring is great too, though I'm not sure if that was the biggest difference between the PUSHed Fox and the Avy?

Have any other disco riders around here mounted the Avy upside down? Craig warned me that the hose would give out due to that movement. Guess time will tell.

Either way, stoked to finally get a $550 paperweight out of its box and on a bike for once. Two pics. Hopefully I can try it out at N* this summer :D

Attachments

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Have you removed the spring and re-mounted the shock, then cycled the rear end through its full travel? You should definitely watch and see where the hose moves and if it will get caught anywhere.

I would be very nervous mounting the shock that way with the hose moving. Just my 2 cents.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
What makes you think your Avy is too long?
Also on the older Discos, like yours requires a spacer kit from Avalanche.
Are you using this?
If not that might be why the shock didn't fit in the correct position.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Low_b said:
Your shock looks too short.
Whats the eye to eye and stroke on that shock?
It looks like you have the old sized shock with the new sized links.
Bryan, heres the scoop.............. That bike is a 99 and the guy Dlo got it from put Army links on it. I got some used links, bearings and modified axles from Jan (Yes non believers he took care of me in a timely fashion AGAIN) However once we got the links installed the shock didn't fit. Its right now a 7.5 shock i to i. You would think with the Army links it would need the 8.5, but thats not the case. The swing arm looks newer (like 2-3 years old) and may be the reason the old links didn't work. We installed the shock without the spring and cycled it through several times and I determined there shouldn't be any issues with the hose. There is only slight movement at the lower bend, but has no movement or stress and the fittings which were my biggest concern.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Yep, what he said! It was a warranty frame I believe, and Jan decided to try an experiment and use those Army links, not knowing the guy was going to sell it right back out. Can you see the lower linkage plates low b? Do you think those have anything to do with it too? We only got the uppers from Jan.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
Thanks Brian, I think the army links are longer than that years top linkage for Discos.
D'Lo
It looks like you should try an 8.5 shock because of the length of the top linkages.
I can't see the lower linkages. Do you have a pic of them?
I'll measure my 2000 lower linkages compared to my 2003 linkages and see if there's difference. If there is, that would make a difference using the Army links.
New links can still be purchased if you need them.
There's 2 swingarms that I'm aware of. A long one and a short one.
As far as I know you can use either swingarm with the same bottom linkages.
The newer version has IS brake mounts instead of 22mm.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Low_b said:
Thanks Brian, I think the army links are longer than that years top linkage for Discos.
D'Lo
It looks like you should try an 8.5 shock because of the length of the top linkages.
I can't see the lower linkages. Do you have a pic of them?
I'll measure my 2000 lower linkages compared to my 2003 linkages and see if there's difference. If there is, that would make a difference using the Army links.
New links can still be purchased if you need them.
There's 2 swingarms that I'm aware of. A long one and a short one.
As far as I know you can use either swingarm with the same bottom linkages.
The newer version has IS brake mounts instead of 22mm.
A longer shock won't work with this set up. I'm assumeing the older swingarm is shorter, which would have allowed the original links to work.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Oops, I forgot to attach the pic in my last post! For some reason, my shock bolts up properly with this setup.. so I don't think a longer I2I is the answer. It's got to be somethin with the swingarm then like you both are saying, if the lower linkage plate can be used with the short or tall one. I wonder if I can still get an older swingarm from Jan? I could end up giving my parts to Brian then if that's the case :eviltongu

I'll just link it. Let me know if you need me to find a closer shot.