Quantcast

Ferguson failfest

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So, what the hell is really going on there?
young black man shot six times.

protests.

fires.

looting.

police spin.

race baiters stirring the pot.

more riots

more looting.

another shooting.

militarized police.

the sky is falling

probably missed some stuff....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So ...

What do you guys think about police filming everything while they're on duty?
I think there is SO much to gain from having a record of every little thing, every conversation, every confrontation, stop n frisk, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So ...

I think there is SO much to gain from having a record of every little thing, every conversation, every confrontation, stop n frisk, etc.

100% support. someone posted in another thread about a PD dept that started using cameras. police brutality down 60%, complaints against officers down 88%. seems like a win-win to me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So ...

See my post in Eff da popo, brutality goes down as does complaints. I have actually talked to officers about how to strategically park the cruiser so the dash cam only sees SOME of what may or may not go down. If they were a gopro or Google Glass, there aint a lot to dispute.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So the cops say he stole cigars, when he actually purchased said cigars.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08/18/ferguson-pd-busted

WTF?
But but but but black men are scary! He must have done something terrible!

So ...

The public only will benefit from this.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
100% support. someone posted in another thread about a PD dept that started using cameras. police brutality down 60%, complaints against officers down 88%. seems like a win-win to me.
I would guess patrol car masturbation rates plummeted.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's where I disagree. The Police stand to benefit if they can document what they do / have done and it can be used to show that they acted lawfully.
No, they don't. They do not need any actual evidence to support their version of the story at courts nowadays. What the cop says is always true and trusted by the jury. Did you see the video of a cop yelling "do not take my gun" at a guy sitting in his car with his hands up, just to make sure he has audio recording justifying his abuse of power? They lie and distort reality and they always get away with it. Well in the Ferguson case, almost always.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
A picture is worth a thousand words. Video of any interaction WOULD provide more than any sworn statements or eyewitness accounts. It protects the public and law enforcement alike.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
That's where I disagree. The Police stand to benefit if they can document what they do / have done and it can be used to show that they acted lawfully.
I think you read my post wrong. If it keeps cops honest/accountable, and can show when they aren't, everyone wins. Cops have documentation for when they are right, the public has documentation for when they aren't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think you read my post wrong. If it keeps cops honest/accountable, and can show when they aren't, everyone wins. Cops have documentation for when they are right, the public has documentation for when they aren't.

this. the police are protected from bogus complaints, and the public is protected from police misconduct. or at least there would be evidence proving this.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My point is, cops do not really need this protection today. Their word wins in 99.9% already. On-cops-cameras are a game changer for the better for the public, not for the cops.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Well played Egypt, well played.

Egypt said:
The Foreign Ministry spokesperson stated that we are closely following the escalation of protests and demonstrations in the city of Ferguson and the reactions to them. He pointed out U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s statements, which reflect the international community’s stance toward these events, especially what the secretary general mentioned in regard to restraint and respect for the right of assembly and peaceful expression of opinion and his hope that ongoing investigations shed light on the killing of the American youth and that justice will be enforced, in addition to him urging authorities to deal with the protests according to American and international standards.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
deal with the protests according to American and international standards.
No, no, no. Those standards are only for other countries. We don't actually believe in upholding American ideals of rights, justice, or peace, in this country. It's more of a "Do as we say, not as we do", sort of thing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stereotypes....

Walking along West Florissant Avenue in Ferguson, Mo., last night, watching the slow retreat of that evening’s protest march, I was suddenly blindsided by a racial stereotype that hit me right in my social conscience.

It happened in an instant.

A young white woman in shorts and a T-shirt, who had been walking with a small group on the sidewalk nearby, paused for a moment to take a photo.

She held her cellphone out between two thumbs and two forefingers, the way we do nowadays, and framed the shot.

Whoosh! Like a trout rising to a fly, a black teen appeared out of nowhere, reached over the woman’s shoulder, snatched the phone from her fingers, and raced off into the night.

"Nooooooo!" wailed the poor woman with a sound that began as outrage but quickly spluttered into a whimper as she accepted that the transaction was final.

Less than a minute later, something like it happened again.

1 of 16
The victim this time was a white man in his late twenties or early thirties. But in this case, there was no fleeting escape. Instead, there was a showdown.

"Gimme back my cellphone!" screamed the white man.

A tall, skinny, black man sized up his screaming complainant, then punched him in the face and walked away.

Done.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
no dur
A federal judge ruled on Monday that some of the tactics employed by the St. Louis County Police Department in Ferguson against demonstrators were unconstitutional. U.S. District Judge Catherine Perry issued a preliminary injunction ordering the county police force to stop its blanket use of the “keep-moving rule”—also known as the “five second rule”—that required protesters to continue moving during demonstrations or face arrest. “Neither the public interest nor the interests of the [police] favor restricting the core constitutional rights of assembly and speech in the arbitrary and vague manner caused by the keep-moving rule,” the order reads.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/10/06/judge_finds_st_louis_policing_of_ferguson_protests_was_unconstitutional.html