Quantcast

feeding the fox

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dammit, I actually kind of liked Race Face too, for their cool aluminum anno parts.

Now there'll be "Evolution" cranks and pedals. Solid iron cranksets and pedals with marbles as bearings. Cardboard chainrings. Solid rebar handlebars.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I think, we can rather expect RF and Easton carbon fiber technology implemented into Fox products
UsD carbon fork?! :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm happy because all of the major 35mm stem/bar producers are now one company. everybody else can continue with the same stuff that works just fine and is compatible with everybody else.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
This move reminds me somewhat of the Hayes/Sun Ringle/Manitou merge, which I think probably helped all parties in the end. Hopefully the same will happen with this, although the Easton/Race Face combo seems a little odd to me given they offer many of the same types of components. I guess the same could be said of Race Face and Fox's soft goods as well.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am sure both of them are in need of a capital boost to keep up with the competition. Both have good product and good brand names but being small is difficult I am sure.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
soon ... taichung fox 40s with easton carbonz 650b lowers and with free taichung race face 35 mm direct mount stem.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
So now you have 3 suspension companies merged in with other component companies: RS with Avid/Sram/Truvativ, Manitou with Hayes/Sun, and Fox with RF/Easton. So who's next? Maybe Tenneco adds FSA and Formula to the fold? Or maybe they start making Shivers & Monster again, then pick up Chromag and Atomlab to corner the Bro-tish Columbia market.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
In all seriousness, I have been extremely impressed with every race face part I have put on my bike in the last year.
Bars, stem, cranks, rings, pedals, the whole lineup is dialed. If Fox could get them cheap, that would be a no brainer for them.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^
This. I just installed a set of Next SL pedal rods, and everything about the whole package (cranks, BB, & spiderless chainring) suggests high quality. Same goes for my 35 mm Atlas stem and my former (31.8 mm) SixC bars. Heck, even the older Atlas FR cranks I just replaced never gave me moments problem - which to be fair, cranks probably shouldn't. Still, they'll likely be recycled onto a yet to be procured shit bike.

As for no one wanting Atomlab, I think Hukk Bikes might be interested

http://www.hukkbikes.com/

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
nobody wants atomlab
Didn't realize they were still in business.

----

Just for sake of conversation, what instances can you guys think of in the bike industry where conglomeration was good for R&D and progression?

----

!HUKK is SIKK! #hukknology

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just for sake of conversation, what instances can you guys think of in the bike industry where conglomeration was good for R&D and progression?
mmm after like 8 years of dismal bikes, GT is finally producing really nice DH sleds and some decent broduro bikes. Meanwhile schwinn has benefited from the same partnership with some really mediocre commuter bikes.

The RS/SRAM merger/conglomerate helped put hanebrink out of business, so that was nice.

To be real for a sec, I don't think any merger in this industry has ever really benefited progress, just the bottom line for the company who bought. They'll smash all the production into one facility immediately, start closing offices slowly, then dry up different brands little by little. Easton might become synonymous with XC, and Raceface the gnarcore little brother. Everything will get "just a little" worse, but you'll probably start finding super deals on these parts at steep and cheap or whatever.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
This is pretty hard to know without talking to people who were involved in product development at the same company pre and post merger.

Some companies that have put out better products since they became a part of a "conglomerate":

- Rockshox - Charger damper seems much better then anything that proceeded it.
- Fox Racing Shox - while CTD kinda sucks at least it's better then Terralogic was. I think most people will agree the damping is better in the 36/40 range then it was before they sold.
- Manitou - the Dorado is better then anything they'd put out in their last few years before the acquisitions.

How many of these companies would have done the same things if they'd stayed independent? I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet Rockshox has had a much higher R&D budget and access to athletes with SRAM then they would have on their own. Really it comes down to how well can the managing entity run multiple organizations, all of which is made easier by sharing the same customers and general product philosophy. In the case of Fox, Race Face and Easton cycling - all are high end cycling brands with a strong focus on both OEM and aftermarket sales. I think this has a pretty good possibility of turning out well for their future products if the management team understands how to merge the culture and processes.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've had good experiences with products from all three, including responsive and helpful communication with RF customer service to replace a defective spindle in a atlas pedal. i honestly wish 'em luck. they are gonna have to sort a number of points of overlap between RF/Easton in the cockpit area.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
It is expected that there will be a price increase on fox fork and shox once production is transferred overseas (taiwan) as parts moves back and forth across the pacific.

better buy now.

possible change in quality? Fox cannot bring all of their engineering, QA and production employees to taiwan, it's cheaper to hire locally.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
They are not going to assemble forx and shox on Taiwan (or where ever), but build them there. I would be even surprised, if they shipped components for assembling in States.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
It is expected that there will be a price increase on fox fork and shox once production is transferred overseas (taiwan) as parts moves back and forth across the pacific.
Actually its the other way round. Taiwanese companies cast the lower legs and manufacture the CSUs (as well as other bits) and they were shipped to the US where Fox assembled everything. Then most were shipped back to Taiwan to assemble as OEM.

Now Fox will manufacture and assemble everything in Taiwan and only ship the aftermarket products.