Quantcast

Fall food.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Apples. Pork Roast with Apples. Grape pies. Blueberries. Roast Beast. Chili. Mixed Garden Veggies. Pumpkin seeds. Buckwheat. Apple Cider. Schlosenberg Cheddar. Wax Peppers. Onions from Georgia. Bratwurst pieorogies. Summer sausage. All of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
last weekend i made smoked gouda mushroom risotto and served it over roasted butternut squash. topped with roasted hazelnuts and lemon zest. :drool:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Mmm... apples. I am eating 3-7 pieces of fruit a day right now. It is the best time of year for fresh produce! We haven't had a frost yet so we the fields still have veggies too.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Excuse the iPhone pic, but here's my favourite dish from this autumn:

Roasted rabbit loin stuffed with sage and wrapped in Parma ham. Served it on Guinness, rabbit belly & kidney and morel stew. Topped it with baby leeks, crispy leek & carrot crisps.

I love autumn.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Excuse the iPhone pic, but here's my favourite dish from this autumn:

Roasted rabbit loin stuffed with sage and wrapped in Parma ham. Served it on Guinness, rabbit belly & kidney and morel stew. Topped it with baby leeks, crispy leek & carrot crisps.

I love autumn.
How do you get Leeks so late in the season?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Never mind I got some awesome leeks, green wax peppers, and some muck grown Taters. I can't find any rabbit worth the cost so I am going to make your dish with pork loins. I am intrigued by carrot crisps and I wonder how you make them?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
brussels sprouts sauteed in garlic butter; pumpkin pie; for some reason, scallops; butternut squash soup; brunswick stew; STOUTS N PORTERS

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was a great year for veggies. I canned a ton of Tomatoes. With all the beans I bought we should be good for the winter.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So I had tons of Green peas to eat. I froze about 5lbs and still had 16 bags left. I bought 6 soup chickens. I decided to make some chicken chowder, Peas, Onion, Leeks, Cabbage, Potatoes (old ones I was going to throw away). Got the pot out and went to town. With the cartons of stock I made about 6 gallons or 24 mason jars full of chowder.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
we put that chit in gallon freezer bags and use as stock all winter long...

I am blessed to start November with a full freezer. I still have a bear permit, 4 seal permits, and any turkeys and deer we get to find somewhere store. Currently I have about 10 lbs of hake, 10 lbs of wild boar, and the same in Italian sausage in my freezer.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
where the eff do you live to hunt all that good chit? sounds awesome. we could prolly find most of it here in nc, other than seals and hake...
Western NY
Bear comes from PA, Quebec and Ontario. Hake (cod) comes from Maine and Quebec. Dear and Hogs from NY\PA. Elk from PA (rarely). Turkeys from MA and NY. Fish populations in NY are outrageous. Turkey populations have exploded in recent years due to the fact that nobody hunts them anymore. Venison from Southern Ontario farms are the tastiest you ever had. Seal comes from Quebec and is harder to come by as the Indians rarely let anyone get a permit. This year my cousin got a heritage permit.