Quantcast

Evil Sovereign Availabilty?

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Not be a pain in the ass, but do you have any pics of the green other than the Interbike ones?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
civilian said:
Not be a pain in the ass, but do you have any pics of the green other than the Interbike ones?
Not yet. Sorry.

And Moni, if you want to swap out that silver for a green, just call me up and we can arrange it. I think you'll really like the silver, though.

John P.
207-772-3132

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
John P. said:
Not yet. Sorry.

And Moni, if you want to swap out that silver for a green, just call me up and we can arrange it. I think you'll really like the silver, though.

John P.
207-772-3132
gotcha - much appreciated - thanks.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Jonas said:
Damn............Pimpoliscious.

Jonas - U ser du uz dem biig citi werds.

Kidding aside. I am jealous. I want one. Worst thing about this is that there are a bunch of these frames 20 feet to my left.

Michael

Evil / e.13

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
swiss said:
I want one. Worst thing about this is that there are a bunch of these frames 20 feet to my left.
So... I, uh, fail to see why you don't have one :D

"John... I think someone miscounted these frames. We only received 54, not 55. Better adjust the inventory numbers. And.. uh, don't look in the back of my car."

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
binary visions said:
So... I, uh, fail to see why you don't have one :D

"John... I think someone miscounted these frames. We only received 54, not 55. Better adjust the inventory numbers. And.. uh, don't look in the back of my car."
LOL! I was wondering why he hasn't been driving to work lately!

Dogboy - that's a GREAT looking bike. Can't wait to get mine built up!

--JP

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Here ya go you monkeys! Blizzat!

The green with silver decals actually looks like a street sign in natural light. It's a rainy, craptastic day here at the office, so the colors aren't too spot on under flourescent office lights.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dogboy said:
Here's mine. Setup for general trail riding, but it will metamorphisis from time to time for DJ and FR.
Oh, now that's sweet. Inspriring, even. Mine's going to be similar, though green and not singlespeed. 2005 TALAS up front, oldschool xtr cranks, long post and skinny saddle, E13 DRS, etc. Light Mavic tubeless rims to start with, but I have a 521-rimmed wheelset that might end up going on instead, if only for the rough days.

Given that I might one day find myself living somewhere flat, I may convert to singlespeed and throw a Kniffen Light fork on up front when the day comes...this thing looks so versatile.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Jonas said:
Here ya go you monkeys! Blizzat!

The green with silver decals actually looks like a street sign in natural light. It's a rainy, craptastic day here at the office, so the colors aren't too spot on under flourescent office lights.

That looks like one seriously thick coat of paint!

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
This color (or desired effect) requires more layers of paint than the other colors. That was part of the issue with trying to get the decals to work properly. We got things to work pretty well for this initial round, but for future applications we are working on reducing the number of layers of paint and yielding the same results.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
But like Jonas just said its thicker than normal, even for powder.

Id like to see when you guys get that result with fewer layers, will look much cleaner :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, question for all Sovereign owners...did the frames come fully prepped? (Chased/faced/reamed/honed) or did you need to do any finishing work?

Are the cable guides non-full-length housing on everyone's bike?

Thanks,

MD

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
Hey, question for all Sovereign owners...did the frames come fully prepped? (Chased/faced/reamed/honed) or did you need to do any finishing work?

Are the cable guides non-full-length housing on everyone's bike?

Thanks,

MD
.....well, I believe they were chased/ faced prior to paint/ powder. Definitely hone your seat tube for sure. Lotsa weld/ material around the TT junction. You can pretty much just use a sharp utility knife to remove any paint/ powder from the HT/ BB areas. All in all, buildup was a snap. My cable guides have the stops (bummer) so I am currently not running full length housing.

Here's another pic to help your 'jones'... :)

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
That's a beautiful setup, my friend. Black and Gold is my favorite color.

As far as facing and chasing. The only thing your should HAVE to do, sometimes, is take off a little paint around those areas where the masking didn't work too well. Other than that, the facing should be right on. Chasing frames is ALWAYS a good idea. It helps to clean out anything that's hard to see by eye (debris, etc.)

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
What should the center to center top tube length of a long Sovereign be when measured along the top tube (actual) and measured horizontally to the seat post (effective)? The Evil website lists the top tube length as 24.1". My "long" which arrived today measures 23” along the top tube and around 23.5" horizontally (see pictures). These numbers are what I would have expected from the regular length Sovereign.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
PowersUSA said:
What should the center to center top tube length of a long Sovereign be when measured along the top tube (actual) and measured horizontally to the seat post (effective)? The Evil website lists the top tube length as 24.1". My "long" which arrived today measures 23” along the top tube and around 23.5" horizontally (see pictures). These numbers are what I would have expected from the regular length Sovereign.
I got the LONG as well & those measurements are exactly what I just verified. I think the TT length is taken from the center of the ST/ seat post along a horizontal line parallel to the ground, to the top/ center of the HT. Either way, it allows plenty of length with a 410mm thomson. If you're planning on running bar ends, this may not be the frame for you.... :nope: :p :cool: :sneaky:

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
I just want to run as short a stem as possible while maintaining a trail appropriate cockpit length and upright riding position which I need do to an old neck injury. My build includes a Sherman Firefly Plus fork (150mm with 20mm axle), Magura FR tubeless wheelset, RaceFace Atlas cranks (with Diablo BB cups) and Thudbuster LT seatpost. This is hardly going to be a lightweight XC bike.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
PowersUSA said:

Its virtual top tube, so on a Sovereign thats measured horizontal to the ground with a 5" fork.

That long is a long bike (for me anyways)

Dave

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
Dave,

I have one suggestion. The top tube extension that acts as the seat stay yoke (for a lack of a better term) should get the same concaved end plate treatment as the chain stay yoke and or be mitered. This would provide for better tire clearance to match the clearance provided by the wonderful design of the chain stays. Attached are pictures showing the tire clearance of a 2.1 inch tire using the shortest chain stay settings ( 15.5", front dropout slot, dropouts assemblies all the way forward). I also tried fitting a 29er wheel and tire using the longest possible chain stay settings (it was just an experiment). The 29er fit nicely between the chain stays with room to spare but just hits the top tube extension. Is the chain stay design available to be licensed? If so I know it would be a perfect design for use on 29ers (which have longs stays and tire clearance issues).

Attachments

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
PowersUSA said:
....the tire clearance of a 2.1 inch tire using the shortest chain stay settings ( 15.5", front dropout slot, dropouts assemblies all the way forward). ....

FYI........the intended use of the referred to drop out is for a 24" wheel. Keep in mind, using a 26" there will alter the intended geometry....

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
Quote from the Evil Website:

" The frame's asymmetic monostay design allows for an incredible 15.5 minimum chainstay with a 26X2.3 tire"

15.5" translate to using the front dropout slot.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
jncarpenter said:
FYI........the intended use of the referred to drop out is for a 24" wheel. Keep in mind, using a 26" there will alter the intended geometry....
Not as I understand it. I am running my wheel (26") in the forward slot with the dropouts 3/4 of the way forward in the frame slots. This gives me a chainstay length of about 15.7". With a 2.2 tire, I have plenty of clearance. This chainstay length is one of the reasons I went with the Sovereign-my old frame had 16.5" chainstays. Also, the statement about altering the intended geometry is a bit misleading. The only thing it does is shorten the rear triangle. It doesn't alter the BB height, head angle, etc. I'd like to hear John P, dw, Jonas, or anyone else "in the know" chime in on this.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Dogboy said:
Not as I understand it. I am running my wheel (26") in the forward slot with the dropouts 3/4 of the way forward in the frame slots. This gives me a chainstay length of about 15.7". With a 2.2 tire, I have plenty of clearance. This chainstay length is one of the reasons I went with the Sovereign-my old frame had 16.5" chainstays. Also, the statement about altering the intended geometry is a bit misleading. The only thing it does is shorten the rear triangle. It doesn't alter the BB height, head angle, etc. I'd like to hear John P, dw, Jonas, or anyone else "in the know" chime in on this.
..........well, I was told on the phone (I believe it was Jonas) that the separate drops were for 24" & 26" wheels. He also stated that it would allow the different setups to be swapped out without changing the bikes geometry. I admit, the cautionary note above was my own conclusion based on the fact that running a 24" in place of a 26" will ordinarily drastically change the geo. for a given frame.....therefore, a frame (such as the Sovereign) with a drop out intended to offer a 24" wheel the same geo/ setup as one running a 26".......well, you do the math. I know from looking at the 2 drops it doesn't seem to be a big difference between them, however I was told by Evil that there are differences between the 2 & one is intended for the 24" wheel. Try them both yourself & see if it changes your geo.......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jncarpenter said:
..........well, I was told on the phone (I believe it was Jonas) that the separate drops were for 24" & 26" wheels. He also stated that it would allow the different setups to be swapped out without changing the bikes geometry. I admit, the cautionary note above was my own conclusion based on the fact that running a 24" in place of a 26" will ordinarily drastically change the geo. for a given frame.....therefore, a frame (such as the Sovereign) with a drop out intended to offer a 24" wheel the same geo/ setup as one running a 26".......well, you do the math. I know from looking at the 2 drops it doesn't seem to be a big difference between them, however I was told by Evil that there are differences between the 2 & one is intended for the 24" wheel. Try them both yourself & see if it changes your geo.......
Well, it's pretty simple. The 24" wheel decreases your wheel radius by 1", thus dropping your BB height, slacking your headtube, etc.

The 24" dropout would need to be approximately 1" lower than the 26" dropout in order to compensate. From looking at pictures, that's not the case - both dropouts look like they're the same height. Or am I missing something here?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
binary visions said:
Well, it's pretty simple. The 24" wheel decreases your wheel radius by 1", thus dropping your BB height, slacking your headtube, etc.

The 24" dropout would need to be approximately 1" lower than the 26" dropout in order to compensate. From looking at pictures, that's not the case - both dropouts look like they're the same height. Or am I missing something here?
Nope. Not missing anything. The 2 slots are at the same level. The only way to change the wheels from 26" to 24" and not change the geometry would be to run dual 24s.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I am sure that Jonas will reply with a more detailed response, but:

The dual dropouts were designed to give chainstay adjustability. The soverign is unique in that it can run a 26X2.3 at 15.5 CS. Most other bikes struggle to fit a 24X2.1 at that length. In 2003, when the bike was first debut, it was the only STEEL bike I had ever seen that could make that claim. (The aluminum prototype Imperials of 2001 went to 14.9 with a 26X2.1 but thats a lot easier to do)

The dual vertical dropouts let us use a shorter slot in the steel dropout and still havea lot of adjustability. This makes a stronger and lighter setup than if we did a singel very long slot.

The bike can use 26-26, 24-24, or 24-26. The 24-26 setup will change head angle, slacking it by a degree, which would be good for HT DH I would think. Then it would be closer to the Imperial SL geometry.

Powers, it fit, huh? crazy. I'll look into that miter for the next gen, Thanks!

Dave

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
dw said:
I am sure that Jonas will reply with a more detailed response, but:

The dual dropouts were designed to give chainstay adjustability. The soverign is unique in that it can run a 26X2.3 at 15.5 CS. Most other bikes struggle to fit a 24X2.1 at that length. In 2003, when the bike was first debut, it was the only STEEL bike I had ever seen that could make that claim. (The aluminum prototype Imperials of 2001 went to 14.9 with a 26X2.1 but thats a lot easier to do)

The dual vertical dropouts let us use a shorter slot in the steel dropout and still havea lot of adjustability. This makes a stronger and lighter setup than if we did a singel very long slot.

The bike can use 26-26, 24-24, or 24-26. The 24-26 setup will change head angle, slacking it by a degree, which would be good for HT DH I would think. Then it would be closer to the Imperial SL geometry.

Powers, it fit, huh? crazy. I'll look into that miter for the next gen, Thanks!

Dave
........hmmmmmmm, well..OK then. That is DEFINITELY a much different answer than I received when I called to specifically ask just that, but whatever. Like the others here mentioned, when I looked at the drops I couldn't see how it could do what I was told...but I figured DW to be some sort of bike design sorcerer :D

Thanks for the update....

J

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Sorry about the delay. I had a response all written up and our net connection failed right before I posted - I swear. It completely sucked. We just got back our connection. Apparently there's an accident on 95 with a big rig full of explosives and they're evacuating a whole town. Doesn't have anything to do with our internet, but it's still fun and thought I'd share.

Like Dave said, the dropouts are to provide a good amount of adjustability without creating an unstable assembly platform bewteen the slider and the actual frame's dropout plate.
Whether you run 24's or 26's the geometry will be the same in regards to head angle, seat tube angle, etc. The only two changes that occur are standover height and BB height. This is assuming that you are not intermixing wheel sizes front and rear.
Sorry if anyone was confused by the former information.

Werd Out