Quantcast

Enduro vs Rune vs Yeti SB66 vs ?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
It can, and although it's not exactly the same, BMC has done it with 17.1" stays, close enough that I'd consider it in the "normal" range for sure. A true DW may take a little longer, but I have no doubt it will come. 1x11 drivetrains make front derailleurs obsolete, which frees up the area for linkages.
Didn't realize the 5 spot was closer than that, at 16.9". Might have to test ride one and see if I can feel the extra 0.4"...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I currently own an SB66 Carbon and came off an Enduro. The 66 is very similar in terms of geometry with the key exception of having quite a slack seat tube angle (not great for steep technical climbs, which is all we really have here in Whistler) and relies on having a travel adjust fork to keep the front wheel down. The 66 pedals more efficiently and is a lot more playful, but that playfulness comes from the linearity of the suspension and also means it doesn't have the same small bump compliance the Enduro has. The head angle is also very slightly steeper (with a 160mm 36 on both), but the difference there is so minor that I wouldn't say it's worth considering (and I'm a sucker for slack angles). The build quality of the 66 makes the Enduro (a very well-built bike) look relatively poor - even after 6 months of hard riding my frame doesn't creak at all, which I'm very impressed with. All told, I can't really find any serious fault with the Yeti unless you spend an awful lot of time in your 24-36 whilst still hammering away on the shifter hoping a lower gear will miraculously appear (which I do), and for some reason don't spring for a travel adjust fork after dropping $bazillions on the rest of the bike. If they'd just steepen the seat angle (and move the front derailleur mount forward a bit so it didn't rub in the big/big combinations so easily) it'd be pretty well flawless. For someone my size (220lbs right now) to have ridden it this long, in this place, without breaking it also says a lot for the construction. I think that overall, it's the most impressive bike Yeti has ever produced.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anoyed by the front derailleur grind. With the derailleur mounted at the correct height, the chain starts eating the top of the cage @ 50% of the way thru the shock stroke (This is w/ a 38t out front and 36t cog out back. I've fussed and fumed over this for long enough. So I did something about it. An adapter that moves the mount forward. I can fill you in on the details (and complications) if you have any interest in this.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Might as well add my 2 cents on the Yeti. I've been on the SB-66c since late June of last year. I'm 6' @ 170 lb. Size large, Fox Float 34 160mm, 60mm stem slammed as low as I can without shifter hitting the top tube.
I am really into the fit of this thing for a 6 footer w/ long limbs. Mine serves all around trail duty, but if it's role was to be pointed downhill most of the time I'd run a 50mm stem. I came off a series of Nomads, and I find SC cockpit space way too cramped for a given size.
The very linear suspension is both a blessing and a curse. Running the recommended 25% sag (stock Fox RP23 for my '12) I can bottom the thing with a sideways glance. This is with the largest volume reducer in the shock as well. A different shock, or a re-tune, could probably help. Otherwise I like the suspension feel. Not butter soft on small bumps if you are crawling, but with a head of steam it's well behaved over most everything.
I have had several quality issues unfortunately. On my second swingarm. I've got to say I feel the swingarm is a little underbuilt IMO. The first had a threaded pivot point unbond from the carbon. The new swingarm has several places where the outer ply of carbon is not solid with what's underneath. Push the locations with your fingernail and they feel "soft". I have not been getting good lifespan out of the large bearings around the outside of the switch. There are some other small issues - maybe mine suffers these because it was from an early batch? Dunno. The bike is so close to "just right", it's a shame.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anoyed by the front derailleur grind. With the derailleur mounted at the correct height, the chain starts eating the top of the cage @ 50% of the way thru the shock stroke (This is w/ a 38t out front and 36t cog out back. I've fussed and fumed over this for long enough. So I did something about it. An adapter that moves the mount forward. I can fill you in on the details (and complications) if you have any interest in this.

That's awesome, I was considering making something similar! Are you interested in selling me one?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
That's awesome, I was considering making something similar! Are you interested in selling me one?
Wish I could say yes. I pretty much just winged it. I'm an engineer, don't have a home computer, but I do have an ancient vertical mill in my home shop. Took a while, running back and forth between the bike stand and machine with calipers in hand. I you decide to go for it, you will need to cut off the top half of the rib on the back of the derailleur. This will render it unusable for the std frame mount.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just to update/conclude this, I went with the Rune frame, in an XL. The XL was closest to the L Enduro frame actually. Only 1/4" longer reach, which actually feels fantastic both when climbing and descending with the 50mm stem. The size L Rune was about 1/2" shorter reach than the size L Enduro.

Got a couple rides in on it, and love it so far. Stiff, stable, predictable, no weird build issues and the handling/cornering is just great.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just to update/conclude this, I went with the Rune frame, in an XL. The XL was closest to the L Enduro frame actually. Only 1/4" longer reach, which actually feels fantastic both when climbing and descending with the 50mm stem. The size L Rune was about 1/2" shorter reach than the size L Enduro.

Got a couple rides in on it, and love it so far. Stiff, stable, predictable, no weird build issues and the handling/cornering is just great.
have you found yourself doing any enduro riding?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Easy there buddy, I'd be real careful about using the "E" word thesedays, else you'll find yourself on the business end of a lawsuit. Rumor has it a name change is already in works for a recently created competition series:

World Timed All Mountain Bike Rally Series

Clementz is still the heavy favorite in 2014.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Easy there buddy, I'd be real careful about using the "E" word thesedays, else you'll find yourself on the business end of a lawsuit. Rumor has it a name change is already in works for a recently created competition series:

World Timed All Mountain Bike Rally Series

Clementz is still the heavy favorite in 2014.
i only recognize custom lawsuits

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
have you found yourself doing any enduro riding?
Well, yesterday I found myself at the top of a 3300' climb going through ice patches on the top of a mountain, and couldn't feel my toes, couldn't feel my fingers, my legs were whooped and had boogers running down my chin (the ones I didn't catch with my tongue and enjoy the deliciousness of), and at that exact moment I thought "Wow, so THIS is what the Enduro lifestyle is all about". I hit my dropper post switch, the seat gently pulled out from between my frigid sweaty asscheeks, and off I went...long live Enduro.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I've been annoyed by the der grind on my SB66 as well. I run 32t up front and an 11-36 cassette. In "big-big", I can't seem to get rid of the rub. Almost, but not quite.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Well, yesterday I found myself at the top of a 3300' climb going through ice patches on the top of a mountain, and couldn't feel my toes, couldn't feel my fingers, my legs were whooped and had boogers running down my chin (the ones I didn't catch with my tongue and enjoy the deliciousness of), and at that exact moment I thought "Wow, so THIS is what the Enduro lifestyle is all about". I hit my dropper post switch, the seat gently pulled out from between my frigid sweaty asscheeks, and off I went...long live Enduro.
It must've been a warm winter ride. Or maybe non-Reverbs work better in the cold.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It must've been a warm winter ride. Or maybe non-Reverbs work better in the cold.
It started off around 45-55 somewhere at the bottom, and probably around 30 at the top.

This was an X-Fusion post. Didn't notice any change with the temperature. I don't do RockShox so I can't help ya there.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
It started off around 45-55 somewhere at the bottom, and probably around 30 at the top.

This was an X-Fusion post. Didn't notice any change with the temperature. I don't do RockShox so I can't help ya there.
I guess you'd have had to have tested it at 2deg to be a good comparison. The Reverb worked, albeit slowly. Better at 12deg, and normally at 24deg.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I guess you'd have had to tested it at 2deg to be a good comparison. The Reverb worked, albeit slowly. Better at 12deg, and normally at 24deg.
You want me to go test a rammer post at 2 degrees F? I think you, good sir, can blow that out your ass.