Quantcast

Enduro thread

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The Keystone round of the NAET & BME had some gnar. So did the Angel Fire BME. I raced a V10 to 12th and 15th in Pro. I've overheard lots of discussion about the Winter Park courses and they really want to appease the Euros so it will be less focused on flow trails than in the past. Also no chainless and a standard final stage instead of the time staggered start.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No chainless ?! That sucks, it would have been cool to let pedalling take a backseat to skills for once...

Anyways, I just came here bring say how awesome the Parkins' edits have been. It's cool to see all the other edits, but the Parkin brothers really capture the event and the difficulties of the terrain. Especially that last one. Dan Atherton was totally motoring in that one section. Had I not known better i would have said it was Adam Brayton!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Sam Blenkinsop had a great day... "It's a good new sport, especially for the guys who used to race downhill. It's good for us, as it's kinda a back up plan. "
I'm not sure why enduro is gaining this reputation as a "back up plan" to DH racing...it's clearly just as dangerous and probably takes more fitness. Watching the euro videos is like watching them race world cup DH on trailbikes. Pretty awesome to watch but I'm not sure it's a safe or easy place to go retire.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
^Yeah, 2 years ago that was the case. You could go 4/5ths speed and win with consistency and hard pedaling. Now the level of competition means you have to know every corner and hit them like it's a DH run. Combine that with the fact that trail bikes have less margin for error than DH bikes and we're wearing little to no armor and half-shell helmets. Ross Milan calls it, "Racing DH in your underwear and styrofoam hats." It's still being ruled by 30 something DHers but a younger generation of WC DHers is already starting to take podiums (Joey Schusler, Blenky).

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
is that your choice or a rule?
Choice. Depending on the stage knee pads and full face helmets are sometimes used but rarely anything more. You have to consider the amount of pedaling involved.

Thoughts go out to Matt. 2 days ago he was racing with us in Keystone and having fun. F*ck Santa Cruz and its meth/homeless culture. Keeping it weird my ass. Maybe it's finally time to clean that town up.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
^Yeah, 2 years ago that was the case. You could go 4/5ths speed and win with consistency and hard pedaling. Now the level of competition means you have to know every corner and hit them like it's a DH run. Combine that with the fact that trail bikes have less margin for error than DH bikes and we're wearing little to no armor and half-shell helmets. Ross Milan calls it, "Racing DH in your underwear and styrofoam hats." It's still being ruled by 30 something DHers but a younger generation of WC DHers is already starting to take podiums (Joey Schusler, Blenky).
maybe in the us, but it's common now in europe for wearing full face helmets mandatory.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Is it allowed not to wear your full face or XC helmet while hiking with your bike or carrying the bike on your back going up?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Is it allowed not to wear your full face or XC helmet while hiking with your bike or carrying the bike on your back going up?
I heard a Pro talking about one of the Enduros in Europe having a rule that whatever helmet you wore during the timed stages had to be worn during the transition stages as well. He said he regretted wearing a full face for that race.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
EWS rules:

5.4: Equipment Requirements

Safety Equipment
All riders must wear a helmet during competition. The helmet should meet the regulations set by the EWS event organiser. The correct fitting, condition and suitability of the rider's helmet is the sole responsibility of the rider.

Specific body protection and helmet requirements may also be stipulated at each event, in accordance with that territory's national regulations. Any protection rules put in place by the EWS organiser must be followed by all competitors, no exceptions will be given.

Rider Equipment
Each rider must be self-sufficient during the entire duration of the race. Personal responsibility and self-sufficiency are a large part of the spirit of enduro racing and riders are encouraged to carry adequate equipment for operating in mountainous environments. Each rider should remember that they are solely responsible for themselves but should also help other competitors on course where possible.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
We had a pedal-up transition between two DHish stages at the Keystone Enduro. Everyone had a full face and we all hung them on the bar during the pedal up a dirt road.
Naturally this is what most people would do but at that Enduro you could be DQ'd if you were caught riding any part of the course timed or transition without the helmet you chose to wear. I did an enduro a couple months ago that I could have never ridden the transition stages with a helmet on my bars, the majority of them were tight singletrack with techy climbs that in some spots were just as hard as the timed sections. If I were doing an enduro at a resort where the climbs were mostly service roads I would probably use a full face to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We had a pedal-up transition between two DHish stages at the Keystone Enduro. Everyone had a full face and we all hung them on the bar during the pedal up a dirt road.
That's because you were in america and we are more free than anyone else.

I saw an eagle in CO once so it must be true.

The idea of the enduro racing format being most like how people usually ride bikes is true. I jump at the chance to pedal uphill in a fullface whenever I can.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The idea of the enduro racing format being most like how people usually ride bikes is true. I jump at the chance to pedal uphill in a fullface whenever I can.
I jump at the chance to wear one helmet while I carry a spare on my back.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I jump at the chance to wear one helmet while I carry a spare on my back.
Judging by some of the dumb suspension things that have (re)emerged, I picture bikes in 5 years with a two setting 'enduro' button.

At the top of a hill, your shocks go into descend mode damping, your seat post drops, your fork jumps up, your tires drop 5psi, your chinbar drops down into place and your useless kneepads jump up from your shins back onto your knees.

You know......'mountainbiking'

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Judging by some of the dumb suspension things that have (re)emerged, I picture bikes in 5 years with a two setting 'enduro' button.

At the top of a hill, your shocks go into descend mode damping, your seat post drops, your fork jumps up, your tires drop 5psi, your chinbar drops down into place and your useless kneepads jump up from your shins back onto your knees.

You know......'mountainbiking'
You've got your pulse on the button of 'mountainbiking'!

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
1. What is the correct time format for enduro?

locally here, we do time in and time out, when you reach at the top, the race marshal, writes down your time out on your number plate for that stage, then you can rest, take a snack or check/repair your bike. When you are ready to go down, you approach the race marshal and he will give you your time in for release.

Another group conducted the enduro race with continous running time between stages. you are already assigned an expected time, you should reach the top, based on time of your release at the start. if you arrive early you can take a rest or do check ups, but when you arrived late you have to go down right away.

2. Will there be a come back/revival of 5 to 6 inch, 20 mm thru ax, stiffer triple clamp fork for climbing and bombing down? (spez enduro triple clamp)

or is the triple clamp not allowed, or riders dont use them due to weight.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone wear knee pads for trail riding? are there any that stay put, or do they all pretty much slip around after a couple of hours of pedalling?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
anyone wear knee pads for trail riding? are there any that stay put, or do they all pretty much slip around after a couple of hours of pedalling?
I usually just wear the neoprene part of my tld lopes pads for trail riding, and if I'm going to ride something rowdy will bring along the hard armour portion....bonus part for the full knee/shin combo is that it's great for keeping the shins from getting beat up when riding overgrown trails

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my kali aazis pads are pretty comfortable, and once you get a layer of sweat to get them to stick they stay up OK. They don't hold up terribly well, I had one set crack for no good reason, and this new set has already torn somehow. I ain't that fat.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
occasionally i wear my poc joint knees (original, not 2.0) - never had any issues with slipping after ~2 hours riding.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Raceface Amush knees, though they are my DH ones as well, but hella comfy,
Yup. That's what I've got too. The double strap system is ingenious

EDIT: mine are the Digs, not the ambush. Still like 'em.

I usually just wear the neoprene part of my tld lopes pads for trail riding, and if I'm going to ride something rowdy will bring along the hard armour portion....bonus part for the full knee/shin combo is that it's great for keeping the shins from getting beat up when riding overgrown trails
I used to do the same, but then SMASHED my knee on a steep loose trail that kinda snuck up on me. THE NEOPRENE! THEY DO NOTHING!

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks guys, I'll try and track down some of those Race Faces. Any idea if they fit large or small? I have thick but short legs. I just measured my thigh about where I figured it would sit at a little over 20" and my calf at 17.5"... But I have short lets: less than 30" trousers. any idea?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Those goofy looking Euro pads that are really slim and have the gel that gets hard are really popular on pedaly stages. The have a bunch of squares and trapazoids and the pad part is usually yellow or green.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
That's the one. I used to associate them with Euro Kooks but a lot of Enduros require knee pads on very pedaly stages so they seem to have found a proper place. Unless reqired I don't wear knee pads cuz they're for people who give up and drop a knee. I'm clipped in and trying to keep the drift going until my forarm and hip start rubbing the ground:)

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
I tend to strap my POCs to my bag, but we have a lot of big climb/big descent kind of trails. Up and down pedalling trails, I can't stand them.

Have many of you enduro guys drilled routing for a Reverb Stealth? I'm strongly debating drilling my Spesh Enduro as I hate my cable.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
thanks guys, I'll try and track down some of those Race Faces. Any idea if they fit large or small? I have thick but short legs. I just measured my thigh about where I figured it would sit at a little over 20" and my calf at 17.5"... But I have short lets: less than 30" trousers. any idea?
I refuse to give you measurements of my body.

But I don't have Shandro calves, and pretty short, and the smalls fit me well.

If you're thick calved, you'd probably go medium. Of course, there's always the internet.

I have the hard shell version, but they also have a 3dO version which are moar baller.

The part I like best is that you don't have to take your shoes off to put 'em on. Or take 'em off.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
These ones?

I keep a special place in my heart for my (unjustified) hatred of those pads. Think it's just because they're worn by so many mincers over here
I feel like I've never seen these before in my life. Maybe it's a Scottish mincer thing ;)