Quantcast

Enduro Coilshocks

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My number one motivation for running a coil shock on the trail bike would be to avoid performance changes due to heating. I'm more than happy with the suppleness/springrate on my Float CTD with Vorsprung Corset, but it sure heats up and gets stiffer when going for it over long descents. Fortunately I do sustained long descents once in a blue moon, so I'm not all that bothered.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
my SB66's CCDBA has been unridabruh ever since I huck-2-flat-2-shattered-femur'd myself at a dh race, so I took the time to make a compression lever for roads and flow trailz. I don't feel climb switches and all that jazz is really necessary with all the anti-skwatz and whatnot, but I'm bored outta my mind and thought "what the hell, why not". Found a keychain bottle opener and a long point1 steel pedal screw and got to hacking...
Nice work! Looks similar to what Specialized had on the DBAir when they first put those on the Enduro, before they had a CS. But the problem with those levers is you can't spin them all the way around, so you can only adjust a few clicks of compression, which doesn't give you a huge change.

So someone designed a cool angled lever that you can spin all the way around! I used that on my CCDB coil and loved it. Posted about it here:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/coil-shock-optimized-am-enduro-trail-bikes.270254/

You mean like this?

That LSC lever was designed by a guy on shapeways.com:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/905260/lockout-lever-for-cane-creek-db-air-db-coil.html?materialId=23

I think that one was originally designed for the DBAir (before the CS), and the knobs are slightly different on my DBCoil, so I had to get out the Dremel to get it to work, but after some tweaking that thing is a godsend. You can spin it all the way around, so it's easy to adjust multiple turns of LSC on the fly while riding. One turn is 6 clicks. I typically have it set to 12 clicks out from all the way in for descending. So, if I'm on rolling singletrack, I'll dial it in one turn; if I'm on fire road or pavement, dial it in another turn. Super easy and makes a huge difference, and takes about a second to do with one finger while riding. I've been running it all season and love it. This is on an Enduro Expert Evo, which I use as my do-everything bike, and this makes a noticeable difference on the long trail rides.

Oh, and you don't have to buy a new shock like you would if Cane Creek ever decides to put the CS on the DBCoil. Bonus.
I've since switched to an Ohlins shock. With the shock positioning on this bike the LSC knob is adjustable by hand on the fly, so I'll dial it all the way in for fire road climbing, back it out 4 clicks for rolling singletrack, back it out 4 more for DH. For technical climbing I usually have it in the "middle" setting. Makes a big difference overall.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
So someone designed a cool angled lever that you can spin all the way around! I used that on my CCDB coil and loved it. Posted about it here:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/coil-shock-optimized-am-enduro-trail-bikes.270254/
Thanks jimw. That spinny lever is far out. After I made that that compression lever I put a small zip-tie on the rebound knob and left a little tail so i can turn it all the way around. When i flip both, it makes a ghetto-CS that I can fine tune. I might try dual zip-ties to get moar adjustmentz.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA