Quantcast

Empire VX8

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
every time that damn solid frame gets mentioned i think ya'll are talking about solid bmx... btw, its been a while since ive visited aaron, i wonder how the bmx life is treating him now-a-days. (probably not all that great)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
every time that damn solid frame gets mentioned i think ya'll are talking about solid bmx... btw, its been a while since ive visited aaron, i wonder how the bmx life is treating him now-a-days. (probably not all that great)
Why would it not be great? Seems like they're making some bad ass frames for a number of companies.
Even though slightly removed, I think the brand name being the same as a current bike company is cringeworthy. Kind of like rehashing the same shit-ass songs from other xtreme sports videos to be in your own. Oh hey, mountain bikers are great at that too!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I dont know aaron at solid all that well, but i do know some people who do.. i guess he has had problems with getting reliable welders/fab guys in the past, although i am not sure if that is the case today.

other than that, i wouldnt want to try and make a living in the bmx industry.. seems like it would be even harder to do than working in the mtb industry. kudos to him for doing it though!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I dont know aaron at solid all that well, but i do know some people who do.. i guess he has had problems with getting reliable welders/fab guys in the past, although i am not sure if that is the case today.

other than that, i wouldnt want to try and make a living in the bmx industry.. seems like it would be even harder to do than working in the mtb industry. kudos to him for doing it though!
Sorry kinda lost this one...
Not being able to find workers would suck... BMX does seem like it would be a tough place to make it. It still blows me away that a U.S. made frame can be had for less than $400. That's hardly (if any) more than 15 years ago!
Good news is that the overseas frames are starting to catch up in price with the U.S. frames, so that may help companies like Solid to get more volume, but still, those prices are too low. I don't know why the prices stay so low... Too many players willing to lowball get business? Kids who ride bmx too poor to afford a $500 frame?

Edit: whoa... From solid website:
OK. So we moved from Sacramento, California to Corvallis, Oregon. After 25 years of living in the same place I decided it was time for a change. But its not like I can just pack up my hatchback and hit the road. I have three kids, a wife and a shop full of machines, materials and tools. I had been spread too thin for too long trying to do Solid brand parts, frame, crank and handlebar production for other companies as well as running CNC machines making headtubes, bbs, stems, sprockets, etc. Can’t do it all, so I am officially out of the frame, crank and handlebar business. Downsized to a small shop with the CNC machines and myself. I am putting all my energy and focus into frame building parts and possibly stems and sprockets. Thanks for all the support over the last 19 years and am really looking forward to the new version of Solid.