Quantcast

Emmeline Ragot's Mondraker had a steering damper in 2012?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I know right?!

This was on their site too... (it was the second google result for ragot+steering+damper)

A personal touch on Ragot's bike is this moto inspired steering damper. In heavy cornering, it stiffens up the steering feel of the bike. Zero offset stem for the Summum.
source

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks like a Hopey. Haven't thought about them for a long time.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I just let my two year old pressure wash my bike...a few weeks later you get the same effect when your lower headset bearing rusts out...works great and its only about a .0125 of a gram weight penalty

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looks like a Hopey. Haven't thought about them for a long time.
I've wondered if these will start to come into play as courses/rider get faster. I have one, though I've never used it, and I've wondered if you could go for a steeper head angle (for the woods) but still have high speed stability, or keep a slacker HA that goes up without wandering (on a trenduro bike).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think a steering damper would help a lot of women riders, especially novices, due to body type differences vs men.

We may laugh at how 2002 a Hopey is, but I haven't ridden zero offset bike, nor do I ride as fast as Ragot. I am gonna say that because of her size she's gonna have less leverage to work with than I do at 6'; on the flip side she's probably stronger :(

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
there was a time when steering dampeners where the rage , there was several manufactures producing them and tons of riders using them . like all other trends and fads weather they work or not they disappear and are reborn .

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there was a time when steering dampeners where the rage , there was several manufactures producing them and tons of riders using them . like all other trends and fads weather they work or not they disappear and are reborn .
who else made one besides Hopey?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I tried one of those Hopey dampers a couple years ago just for the hell of it, since I love the Scott's damper on my dirt bikes.

I took it off almost immediately. Not only was the headset tightening mechanism retarded, but it didn't even stay tight for more than the length of my driveway. Additionally, you had to have the damper almost completely locked out to have any real effect in sections that would actually take the bars out of your hands (sand, off camber hits, etc) and the adjuster knob wouldn't even stay in one place.

Nice idea, terrible execution. Still looking forward to seeing a legitimate one.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
who else made one besides Hopey?

off the top of my head i can,t truthfully remember , there was lots of little start-up companys getting into the new downhill scene when long travel triple clamps , and 6"+ travel bikes became the standard . i do remember there was several variations from several companys when they 1st started coming out .

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Nothing New To See Here!

Riders were using these back in the late 90's early 00's on the DH scene, if you weren't all fan boys of 16 years old you'd know this!

SCARY

Not long enough
I've run one on every bike I've built since 2002.
They're friggin awesome in the rough stuff (which is all we have here)and keep the bike from getting twitchy and let's you focus on your line instead of your wheel shaking side to side.
It's a severely underutilized piece of technology.
Let the flaming proceed

Shimz? Pretty sure on a steering damper a faster input meets a geometrically higher resistance. Unless my sarcasm understander is broken, an oil port is great for that, except for fitting the curve.

Scotts dampers have a little paddle that goes back and forth inside swishing the oil through a bypass circuit. When the velocity is high enough the circuit can't flow anymore oil and the paddle, connected to your hand controls, has to work harder. I'd think on a mountain bike you would only want to damp super fast (bars ripping out of your hands) inputs, and everything slower than that turn freely. That's a steep knee late in the curve.