Quantcast

eBay Fuckery

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My road bike was stolen a couple weeks ago. My insurance came through nicely and gave me a very generous payout. I used that to buy a replacement off eBay.

The bike showed up today, and is two sizes larger than described in the ad. I contacted the seller who acknowledged the mistake and apologized, but claimed that he's already spent a lot of the money I paid him, and therefore can't give me a full refund. He offered to give me a partial refund, but did not suggest an actual amount.

Do I:

a) Wait to see what he offers, and if it's reasonable take it and deal with selling and replacing the bike
b) Dispute the transaction with PayPal
c) Dispute the transaction with my credit card company
d) Both b) and c)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks.

If PayPal accepts my dispute (and I have an email from the seller acknowledging the mistake, so it seems like they'd have to) what happens next? If I get my money back from them, what do I have to do with the bike at that point?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yeah, b) then c), if necassary.

i'd guess they'd bring action against the seller and hold the bike until he repays them in full? or they'll pressure him to refund you in full and then send the bike back to him?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
He's offering $300 on a full carbon, Sram Red equipped bike. Fuck him. I'm stuck with an XL bike that I can't really ride and is probably pretty hard to sell, what with it being sized for wookies.

Ifi dispute the transaction, I take it the best case scenario is that I get a refund, ship him the bike back, and just have to eat the shipping charge/hassle of dealing with all this bullshit?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Even if there is a small opportunity that you could get a portion of the refund and keep/sell the bike, I'd still just report and get rid of is ASAP.

You know it'll end up being a headache trying to get rid of it, plus the guy hosed you. He shouldn't get off free.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah I was mostly kidding.

PayPal dispute has been filed. Time to shop for a new bike, again. :/

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Next question: how long do I give him to respond before I raise my PayPal "dispute" to a "claim"?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I figured I'd at least give him 24hrs. It's not like I need the money right this second.
Even after you escalate it Paypal will sit on their ass for several days (a week?).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Even after you escalate it Paypal will sit on their ass for several days (a week?).
I'm sure. My thinking was just that I didn't want him to have reasonable grounds for complaining that I didn't give him time to respond.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You're going about this all wrong. Build the bike up with some old clapped out parts as a fixie without brakes and sell it to some rich hipster on Craigslist as a NeoClassic Vintage Town Bike. You could easily triple your investment.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I got the ball rolling on b this morning.

Next question, what are the odds of me actually getting a full refund in exchange for returning it? I found a frame/fork in my size that I could move parts over to, but I'm worried about throwing a wrench in the dispute process by cannibalizing the bike. It's probably safer to but the replacement complete, right?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Presumably, if I get a full refund. The PayPal dispute process also lets you ask for a partial refund though. I could just try to get enough money back that it's worth my while to deal with selling it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Presumably, if I get a full refund. The PayPal dispute process also lets you ask for a partial refund though. I could just try to get enough money back that it's worth my while to deal with selling it.
I know not the same, but my PayPal account was compromised a few years ago by someone in Mexico. Being a fool, I had it linked to my bank. Being a fool AND poor while in college, this Mexican asshat purchased a new Blackberry and pretty much drained my account.

I filed with PayPal and even though it took them 3-4 weeks, they did refund 100% of my cash. Just go for the full amount, I wouldn't settle for less. You didn't get what you paid for.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kinda a different scenario though, since I do have a bike to show for it. It's not the one I paid for, but it isn't worth nothing either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I get that line of reasoning, but at some point it's worth more to me to take a partial refund and keep the bike than it is to go for a full refund and return it, especially since I then have to deal with repacking and shipping it. Where that line is is a valid question.

Last edited: