Quantcast

ebay chinese carbon hardtail frames

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by chillindrdude, Aug 24, 2011.

1. chillindrdude Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    if you goto ebay, and search for carbon frames, a bunch of generic looking, non-decaled carbon fiber hardtail frames popup from chinese (usually HK) sellers. some of them state that they are OEM carbon frame manufacturers, and use 100% carbon fiber...blah blah blah.

i'm planning on building a cheapo xc hardtail to ride around pretty smooth/nontech offroad trails. has anyone gotten one of these? if so, how was the construction? durable?
  2. splat Nam I am

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !
    how much do they want for them ( I'm too lazy to go look )
  3. chillindrdude Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    range from 300-500bucks
  4. oldfart Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I think it is pretty likely that some of these are identical to bigger named manufacturers. Some may be what are called catalogue bikes where small bike companies pick models and have their decal stuck on a factory catalogue bike. Sometimes I think a factory gets an order for say 2500 frames so they make 4500 and sell off the extras unbeknownst to the party that designed and had the bikes manufactured.
  5. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    These are catalog frames. I doubt the quality is poor, but probably not quite on par with brand name. Also,no warranty. Pretty sure youd have to pay import taxes as well.
  6. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    also, for what you're paying, i've been considering it too. i just picked up a set of carbon mtb wheels from one of these factories for what a set of azonic outlaws cost.
  7. moff_quigley Why don't you have a seat over there?

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    There's a huge thread about these on the 29er board on eMpTyBeeR.
  8. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    link? what's the consensus? even if the quality isn't completely on par, you could get 4 or so of these frames for what a single brand name frame costs.
  9. moff_quigley Why don't you have a seat over there?

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
  10. golgiaparatus Out of my element

Rep  |  Likes:
    2   |   2
    True Story:

One of the local roadies here bought one of those frame/fork combos. The one that looks like a Pinarello. The steerer tube failed suddenly on a downhill section and he face planted... shattered the lower part of his face. It's been about 5-6 months and 2 surgeries. And he was just cleared to do light rides a few weeks ago. He now sports a beard to cover the scars.

It's just not worth it.
  11. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    True story:

i'm not a roadie.
  12. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    also, what's to say that failure wasn't one of those off-chance, one in a million incidents? which are, to be totally honest and fair, just as likely to occur with a brand name frame.
  13. moff_quigley Why don't you have a seat over there?

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    I seriously considered getting one of those ebay roadie frames...but I was concerned about using their fork. More than likely I would have bought an EC70 to use instead (which I did end up getting for my build anyway). Crap breaks though. Could happen to my easton as well.
  14. Arkayne I come bearing GIFs

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    spill the beans? I need a funky commuter wheelset and I wouldn't mind cheapy carbons. As long as it can handle manuals, I'll get one.
  15. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    i got it as a one time deal through a friend who picked up a set directly from the vendor at interbike and decided ultralight parts were too scary for him. these are mtb wheels, ridden 3 times on the road around the neighborhood.
  16. Arkayne I come bearing GIFs

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    lucky bastid. I'll have to check out the ebay offerings.
  17. Kevin Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   3
    In Holland sticking my finger in a dike...
    Picked up a 2011 Cube Reaction Carbon a while back and absolutely loving it...
    Cost me the same as a Trek 7000, with about the same XT parts, Fox suspension etc etc but the Cube is carbon.

A good carbon bike doesnt have to be expensive...
  18. SuspectDevice New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Many if not most of the China-direct frames have lackluster geometry and odd sizing. Remember, they aren't designed by bike riders. Who cares how well manufactured they are if they suck to ride?
    You have to remember that most people who buy bikes based on material and price are usually pretty clueless when it comes to fit, performance, manufacturing quality and handling. Do you see the builds on the bikes posted on MTBR? The too short stems, saddles pointing down, forks that are too short, etc. are all indicators that these consumers aren't worth listening to.

For $400 it makes a lot more sense economically and ecologically to buy a used frame of a known quality on this continent from a comrade who needs the money.
  19. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    which is why i opted to continue riding my my yeti.

also, book.
  20. maddog17 Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Ask George Hincappie about his Trek experience
  21. jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep  |  Likes:
    41   |   72
    Lulz. When i was a wrench monkey at a shop that used to deal cervelo (emphasis on used to), we got and order of frames in which 60% had pre-separated bb lugs.
  22. 3rdrail9er New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    based on my experience as a guitar dealer/buyer,

there are only a few Chinese factories building the guitars for all popular brands.

When we bring in the "no-name" versions of the popular models from said factories, we find that the difference is in the details. THe big names have really good QC and will reject any guitars that don't meet their tolerances. After QC, they then set up the guitars and put in their own electronics, generally higer end due to agreements between the different companies. No different than a frame company using Shimano as opposed to SRAM or what ever....

we find mistakes in the finishes and flaws in the wood and of course, they are not set up at all and are using cheap chinese electronics. And most importantly of all, there is no return policy. If we get a guitar that refuses all efforts to set it up and intonate it, we have to trash it.

I would hazard a guess that in buying a no name Carbon frame on ebay, you would be running the same risks...