Quantcast

Easton "Cully" Pedals

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
I would like to change pedals...and the e-thirteen models won't be available intil "Interbike"...on october :think:

Someone have infos about Easton "Cully" pedals ?

Thanks

red

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
connecticut
I have had them on my bike for 3 years and love em :) I like the low profile and they get great grip....but beware the pins are very skinny and bend easy so make sure you stop by a hardware store and get a small bag full.... I would buy them again in a heartbeat...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
yeah, the pins do bend really easily. they're super grippy though and low profile. i've had a pair for a few years and never had any trouble. one thing i really like is that they don't spin as easily as a lot of pedals, they stay really stable. they don't wiggle around under your foot.
the only downside is that sometimes you'll get your foot in the wrong position and it's kinda hard to reposition it because the pins really dig into your shoes. to change your foot position your have to take your foot off the pedal, you can't just slide it around. but that's a good thing, imo

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
they are awesome, but the needle bearings on my took a trip to the ****ter.

i dont ususally break stuff either...but, they are still aweoms pedals. i packed the bearings full of grease and kept on riding. they still work just fine.

~SGD

PS....forget about adjusting the pins once they have been smashed up and ridden on. those cute little allen key holes in the top of the pins work like...well, they dont. then again, you really dont need to move, replace or adjust them.

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Acadian said:
killed a few pairs....toasted the bearings! :( I have a pair on my DJ bike that are still going strong, but I don't hit rocks with those ;)
ok, but no pedals are indestructible :think:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Softy said:
That is the exact same pedal as the Kona Jack ****. Not close but exact.
Ummm.... no. Not close at all. In my experience, Kona pedals have semi-crappy bearings, and they're really tall too. And they have reflector mounts. Nice try though. I know the "all platform pedals look similar so they all must be identical" argument sounds pretty good at times, but it's rarely applicable.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Yeah, Easton pedals are nothing like Kona's...

I don't have the Cully's, but I have been using a pair of Flatboys for about 2 years with no problems. You do have to be careful with the pins, don't let them get ground all the way down into the pedals or they'll be hard to get out to replace. Also, you should keep an eye on the bearings, but this is pretty easy to do, and I've never had a problem with mine. So, they're expensive, but I think they're worth it.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
those pins would really be a good investement for the Cully's

aside from the bearings, the pins are the only weakness.

~SGD

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I have Easton Flatboys and have not had good luck with them, I broke my collarbone about a week ago as a direct result of the pedal bearing failing.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
squarewheels said:
yeah, the pins do bend really easily. they're super grippy though and low profile. i've had a pair for a few years and never had any trouble. one thing i really like is that they don't spin as easily as a lot of pedals, they stay really stable. they don't wiggle around under your foot.
the only downside is that sometimes you'll get your foot in the wrong position and it's kinda hard to reposition it because the pins really dig into your shoes. to change your foot position your have to take your foot off the pedal, you can't just slide it around. but that's a good thing, imo

Yeah man i had the same problem, they rock but once you put your foot down it is there to stay. Could be an advantage but i like to move my feet and correct a little while riding. to add to the problem i was riding intense shoes, basically it turns your setup into clipless cant move (must pick up foot and reposition)...But again that could be good for some people.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
S.G.D said:
aside from the bearings, the pins are the only weakness.
Heh. Um, so what you're saying is that fully 50% of the pedal's pieces (spindle, bearings, body, and pins) aren't up to snuff.

Then what makes these worth $100+?

If the pedals have the same bearing failure rate as any other set of pedals, and the pins that come with them just aren't that good, then IMO, save yourself $60 and buy a set of some cheaper pedals. Then you can put your fancy pins in those and spend the money you saved on some post-ride beer :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Intenseman said:
You prefer these pins ??(Woodman Spikes) :D ...use only with Shins guards :sneaky:

There isn't anything fancy about those you know. Both are simply track and field sprint spikes (err actually distance spikes to be precise). You can get them in ceramic if you are REALLY worried about weight. You can get them from 3mm to 9mm, in varying shapes and widths for indoor, outdoor, distance, jumping etc.

"DESCRIPTION:
Ultra lite ceramic track spikes manufactured by Omni lite industries,Canada.These track spikes help extend the life of the track and reduce injuries caused when a runner is accidentlally spiked.Ceramic material is 1/3 the weight of steel."

These are the thin 7mm sprint variety, in steel.