Quantcast

E13 Crank issue...before I go rigging it

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
....tell me what I'm doing wrong.

2011/12 Turner DHR 83mm BB

My E13 chainguide and crankset have been on my bike for 2+ seasons with no issues. Had knee surgery in the winter and finally able to get back at it within the last few months. Somehow developed a bent tooth on the chainring misdiagnosed as a bent spider. Straightened said bent tooth, but there is now a distinct chain RUB against the guide now. I've changed nothing and consulted my E13 setup slip that shows that I'm not crazy and I've not left anything out this time.

Spacing was always flawless before now. So two possibilities come to my mechanically inept mind:
1. That plastic spacer between the BB shell the the bearing has been squished since it's plastic by me maybe tightening it too tight. Setup calls for 1 black 2.5mil on the drive side between the bearing and BB shell. Non-drive side calls for two 1mil spacers and a wavy washer. But it sure "looks" like it's not gotten any skinnier.

2. The lower pulley on the guide has been bent. But that sucker is not some ultra thin piece of sheet metal like days past. It is one stout mama jamma.

So what the frick is going on if I've not changed anything about my setup that my chainring and backplate of my guide are now too close?

It would seem like the obvious answer (but I don't trust my inept mind) would be to toss a second 2.5mil spacer in there making it 5mil.

Tell me what to do.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know they were designed by the patron saint of mountain biking, but the lower pulley on the lg1+ is really pretty flimsy, in my experience. I cracked one (that was set up wrong) on the very first ride, and I had another one disintegrate over time till the point it was replaced by a couple of stacked washers. My inclination would be to look there first and make sure that isn't wonky.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm about to pull the BB and pop a new 2.5mil washer on. The entire drive side crank and ring are definitely closer to the chain guide in the past and it's not the lower guide as it is both the upper and lower E13 guide that are too close. It's as if the 2.5mil washer is crushed. Nutty.