Quantcast

do you motocross?

Keyth

Chimp
Dec 9, 2001
Bend Oregon
How many here motocross? (asked this at mtbr and got alot of interesting responses, so..........) :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking of buying a dirt bike this year as there is suppose to be alot of good riding here (Bend, OR) -- do you ride motocross and what do you see as the key trade offs vs. downhill - in terms of bike handling, risk, and cost? plus what type of bike do you recommend as most fun: full size, mini, somthing in between like a expert size? please post pics of your bikes - thanks - Keyth

Attachments

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
For god's sake dont buy a mini. You might as well take your money and light it on fire. Dont get an expert either. Sure I'd love to have a little bike for fun, but it would be about the 4th motorcycle I would own. As for motocross, risk and cost are both high, fun is astronomical. Get one, use less throttle if you are scared at first.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Yep, woods and getting more in to MX. Traded in my old beater for a '06 CRF450r. Way to much power for me to handle, properly. Yet. I hated my old gutless bike, an under powered bike is only so fun. If I had to do it over again I'd get a proper bike off the bat.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Yeah, get a woods bike and you'll wonder why you don't DH anymore. :biggrin:

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I used to. I think the skill-set translates well - - that's one of the reasons I took up DHing, because it was mountain biking I could relate to.

Me at Startup, WA, ca. 1970 (the skinny kid in the full-face Bell Star):

I would look for a good used YZ 250.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Bought my YZ125 last May, been riding all my life. I love the YZ for trail riding. My average ride is about 40 miles or so of rocky and whooped out singletrack, complete with out-of-control fast descents through big rock gardens. I still can't use all of the 125's power, and I'm not afraid to admit that. I'm no pro moto guy or anything, but I do just fine, and the small light bike is so much fun on the downhills!

I was riding a TTR125 with a full BBR setup (150 kit, proper jetting, stiffer suspension, bigger bars, etc) and it SUCKED. Well, I could climb/descend anything, but whenever speeds got above 20mph, it was way too little bike, and horribly uncomfortable. Go for a full size bike.

The 250 4 strokes are a lot of fun, and they are very, very easy to ride. A 125 2 stroke will be just as fast, about 15-20lbs lighter (a lot!) and much easier and cheaper to maintain. However, a 125 2t is a much more difficult bike to ride than a 250 4t. If you're up for a challenge though, it's the cheapest way to get into either moto or trail ripping, and it'll force you to learn proper technique a lot faster than a 2504t.

Back to the original question, well, no. I can't stand motocross, it just seems pointless to me. I can only stand to go around in a circle so many times. It just seems too much like BMX, which IMO is also boring. Enduro racing does seem pretty interesting though... If you're training for DH, a combo of mx and trails would probably do you wonders.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Go Bend! I ride at 4 Corners and China Hat a fair amount. I live in the valley so it's fun to get over to the desert and dry out during the wet months. I ride a Honda crf250x, the hubby a KTM exc525. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time on the track, I'd go woods bike and nothing smaller than a 250 if you want to run a 4 stroke or 125 if your going for a 2 stroke. Mini's and midsize bikes will get old fast (and that's coming from a 5'4" chick).

In terms of risk, I have found that I have hurt myself way worst on my DH bike. I feel like I have better control with a throttle and it takes a lot more to really screw up your day on a dirt bike. As far as cost, well, dirt bikes can take up a lot of cash. The gear is fairly comparable to DH gear as most of it is almost the same thing, except for the boots and helmets. Get good boots. This will run you $200-$400 depending on how good you want.

The bike itself will become a money sponge. Oil changes, filters, fancy chainlube all add up and are basic expenses you can count of dropping money on regularly. Tires are also a big disposable item that you will need to replace at least once a year if your riding a lot. Chain and sprockets will also wear out at least annually and aren't super cheap either. If your running a new 4 stroke, plan on regularly checking your valve clearance. Learning how to do this yourself will save you tons of money.

Beyond that, after I bought my bike (roughly $6000 new) I dropped $800 on custom suspension (I'm well below the rider weight range most bikes are set up with stock) so figure $400-$600 for basic suspension work like springs and valving), bark busters and hand guards for woods, and at some point soon I will be getting ride of the entire stock exhaust system as they weigh a ton. That will probably run me around $300.

I'm not trying to scare you with the cost, but if your going to do it, you need to know what your in for. Dirt bikes need a fair amount of maintenance, and parts are pretty spendy. But if your already used to how expensive DH bikes are, dirt bikes aren't that much worse for what you get out of them.

Last edited:

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Get a 2 stroke, either a ktm 200, 250 or 300 if your riding off road, these are the bikes to get. It is often said the 300 rides much like a 4 stroke and has and endless amount of bottom end.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
You can pick up a nice used dirtbike cheap, though, especially a 2-stroke. A YZ250 was a great rec, one of the best 250s made. My KTM 250sx is a blast. I agree that a 250 4-stroke is a great bike but buying them used is risky. I think a good used 2-stroke is a cheap, low maintenance way into riding. You should be able to find a 2-3 year old 250 for $2000-3000 depending on brand and condition.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I used to. I think the skill-set translates well - - that's one of the reasons I took up DHing, because it was mountain biking I could relate to.

Me at Startup, WA, ca. 1970 (the skinny kid in the full-face Bell Star):

I would look for a good used YZ 250.

Nice man, love those old school moto pics!!

I started riding dirtbikes in 93 (first bike was a 81 DR125) & raced from 98-2003.

I don't think I'd race again (just too much time & money), but I'm starting to miss having a bike to ride, have caught myself looking at the classifieds lately for a nice used 2-stroke. Braaaaaaaaaaaapp!!!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've got a WR250f, and I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a newer version of the exact same bike. Because it's a 4-stroke and has head and tail lights, you can get a license plate for it in almost any state, and that's a huge bonus if you don't live right at a trail head, don't own a pickup, don't want to go through the pain in the ass of trailering it, or any/all of the above.

If this is your first bike, don't get anything bigger than a 250f or you'll be in way over your head. There's definitely a different skill set involved with dirt biking as opposed to DHing, but there's lots of overlap. Also, don't blow a bunch of money on a new bike. There are tons of good craigslist deals on lightly used bikes that were bought by retards who didn't realize the "no payments for 6 months deals" meant that you actually had to pay for the dam thing at some point.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Nice man, love those old school moto pics!!

I started riding dirtbikes in 93 (first bike was a 81 DR125) & raced from 98-2003.

I don't think I'd race again (just too much time & money), but I'm starting to miss having a bike to ride, have caught myself looking at the classifieds lately for a nice used 2-stroke. Braaaaaaaaaaaapp!!!
Thanks!

My wife wouldn't let me race, I'm sure. That's another reason I DH: it gave me back racing ;). But I'd still love to find an IT 490 sometime just to play in the woods.

Here's another pict from my archives just for fun. Not MX this time, though - - indoor short track at the Seattle Coliseum (now Key Arena) on the polished concrete (oh, how I loved indoor short track) ca. 1970 as well:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Because it's a 4-stroke and has head and tail lights, you can get a license plate for it in almost any state,
Oregon is one of the states where this is no longer possible. Unless the bike is designated as street legal from the dealer (and the certificate of origin specifies it was sold as a street legal bike) you can not plate it in Oregon anymore. You could at one time, but not anymore.

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
i would agree that the moto helps make you a better downhiller, the main thing i can notice is that my hands/arms get way less fatigued since i have been riding moto. i used to be able to ride at resorts for only a few days before my arms and hands felt worked, i just spent to weeks in whistler and my body feels great, if you ride woods it sometimes feels just like a mtb but a bit nicer on the up hills! personally i would start with a smaller 2 stroke as they are cheap and once you master them you will be able to jump on any bike and rock it. overall for woods and track a 250f would be your best bet, enjoy!

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
i would agree that the moto helps make you a better downhiller, the main thing i can notice is that my hands/arms get way less fatigued since i have been riding moto. i used to be able to ride at resorts for only a few days before my arms and hands felt worked, i just spent to weeks in whistler and my body feels great, if you ride woods it sometimes feels just like a mtb but a bit nicer on the up hills! personally i would start with a smaller 2 stroke as they are cheap and once you master them you will be able to jump on any bike and rock it. overall for woods and track a 250f would be your best bet, enjoy!
I disagree a 4 stroke is great for the track how ever for woods riding a 2 stroke wins hands down

Keyth

Chimp
Dec 9, 2001
Bend Oregon
Alot of really good info here - Sounds like there is agreement on a full size used bike but lots of debate on 250f vs 125? any more opinions??

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
250f, broader power, easy to ride, smoother in rough mid to high speed, engine braking (for better or worse)
125, lighter feeling, easy to mussel around, way more clutch work, cheaper

If you getting on the 2 stroke's for woods riding check the KTM 200. Best of both worlds, bit more grunt then a 125, but same general feel. I think it will be my bike this spring, or a 250f. The 450 is going to get me dead. One slip of the wrist on some fast single track...

Or for less coin and slower to mid speed trail riding dig up a KDX 200 or 220. Sweet starter bike, if there ever was one.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a KTM 200 and it an awesome bike. I had a CRF150f and out grew it in about a month. I was wanting a 250f, but even used they were just a bit out of my price range. So I looked for a good used 2-stroke and found a killer deal on the 200. It hits pretty hard in first and second and requires a lot of clutch work to excel in the tight and rough. But when ridden aggressively, the bike is soooooo much fun.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
KTM 200 is a great compromise. A bit high strung but much more torque than a 125 at about the same weight. All KTMs have very adjustable powerbands, the 250 even more than the 125/200. They have multiple power valve springs to speed up or slow down how fast the motor comes onto the pipe and then you can adjust with a screwdriver if you want it to hit sooner or later.
250f probably is the best all-around bike but look around in dirt bike forums at how many people buy them used and end up with huge engine repairs. With proper maintenance they will last but many don't get the service they require. 250fs run to around 14k rpm and have tiny valves. It doesn't take much to go wrong and when it does it is $$$$$.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
no bottom end torque for the two smoke
HAHHAHAHAHAHAAA

Test between a stock 1991 CR500 and a 2008 CRF 450! Should test the above 500 against the 450!
Q:WHICH ONE IS THE FASTEST?

A:First and foremost, our concept of faster is gauged by the ability to ride the bike faster—not just hang on and pray. The CRF450 turned faster lap times because it has a controllable delivery. It was less violent under acceleration and less chuggy under deceleration. The versatility of the four-stroke outweighs its shortcomings at peak horsepower. No contest.
But, and this is a big but, if you have the skill to pull the trigger, the CR500 would actually gobble the CRF450 up in deep loam, rough straights and steep hills. The big two-stroke was a rocketship when it had a rocket man at the controls.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Fouling plugs may happen with a 125 smoker but I haven't heard of many people having that problem with the bigger sizes. In that test they used 3rd gear the whole way around the track including starting! Just feather some clutch on the smaller guys if needed. And no I have not ridden a 500 but would actually maybe like instead of the 4 stroke I have now.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
How many here motocross? (asked this at mtbr and got alot of interesting responses, so..........) :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking of buying a dirt bike this year as there is suppose to be alot of good riding here (Bend, OR) -- do you ride motocross and what do you see as the key trade offs vs. downhill - in terms of bike handling, risk, and cost? plus what type of bike do you recommend as most fun: full size, mini, somthing in between like a expert size? please post pics of your bikes - thanks - Keyth
I ride motocross track and trail. Had a 4stroke race bike (honda250), RM250....bought a street legal moto 2 years ago (Husqvarna TE250) and its the best thing I ever bought. I still have a crf150 for messing around but ride that about never now a days, its the wifes bike. I put up with a lot of grief from my friends when I bought it because it was not a cool japanese bike, but since then, 3 of those goons have bought Huskys.

I find the mini's, medium bikes (150's etc...) get old real quick. Street legal high end bikes like mine, KTM or the newer yamahas are so multi purpose, you can not go wrong. I can roll out my garage, head over to the track, do some laps, go ride on the trails, run over to the post office, etc.
I have found whenever I ride my moto, especially on trails, when I ride DH I feel more in tune with speed and reading terrain.

I am tall and skinny-little strength in these arms and this bike is easy for me to handle. Mine is this model, I have 2000 miles on it now and it has run perfect.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Fouling plugs may happen with a 125 smoker but I haven't heard of many people having that problem with the bigger sizes. In that test they used 3rd gear the whole way around the track including starting! Just feather some clutch on the smaller guys if needed. And no I have not ridden a 500 but would actually maybe like instead of the 4 stroke I have now.
just out of curiosity shouldnt the 500 run against a 4 stroke 1000, instead of a 450?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i ride trails sometimes, not nearly as much as biking.. i ride my dads drz 400 but he doesnt ride it lol... so i guess in a way its mine.... all i can say is dirt bikes are FAR more nose heavy! and much easier to whip around imo

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you're fouling plugs your jetting is waaaay fat, or you're running a weird needle/clip position.

Wallygator

Chimp
Sep 6, 2008
Albany, OR
I would also say to go with a 250 four stroke, The Honda crf250x would make a very good trail bike. The only thing I can say about the 2 strokes is that going into a corner will be more like a mountain bike because there is less compression braking than with the 4 stroke bikes.

There are great trails around Bend, any local motorcycle shop can help you out. I use to ride a KTM 300, Great 2 stroke with "good" low end power. I would not recommend it to a beginner.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
get a ktm 200.. 125 size frame and weight, but with almost as much power as a 250. With a bit of head work (100 bucks) it will have crazy bottom end