Quantcast

Dirt Jumper 1 Pressure

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Hey guy's I took my bike into the shop to check the pressure, and turns out it wasnt even on the chart. So I put 5psi in it. And holy crap it feels stiff now. I put 10psi in it and it was stiff as a board.... What do you guy's run in yours? and do you find the same thing? What do you run if you want to DH/trail ride?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
im guessing by what i know that it would be like reducing the forks travel to an extent(?) kind of like a suction cup i guess. but i doubt it would be too good for the fork itself.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mcA896 said:
im guessing by what i know that it would be like reducing the forks travel to an extent(?) kind of like a suction cup i guess. but i doubt it would be too good for the fork itself.

it wont harm the fork, i have heard about people doing this but not sure for how long it will work and if its really noticeable, i did it to a different fork a while back and after a ride the pressure was normal when the fork was at rest, i guess it sucks in air.
you can try anyway

and to the original poster, think of the air cap as a preload dial, if you dont want any preload then dont add air.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
So if I was going to take the fork trail riding or downhill, I could just let all the air out on both sanctions and this wouldnt hurt the fork at all right?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Leethal said:
as long as you have the right springs and amount of oilfor your weight....also known as not bottoming over every little thing

Well when it was "off the chart" before I put 5PSI in it, it felt a bit suishy but never bottomed. i'm about 190-195. I have no idea on the oil/springs. It's only a few months old. The bike was bought stock from the LBS. (2004 norco 4hun) Bike feels good with 5psi though on DJ/street so far. About a week ago after riding I noticed a residue on one of the stanctions that was like Burnt melted rubber. It took for ever to scrub off and I took it to the LBS. They just thought I got into something on a trail/street. Almost looked like someone held a lighter to the stanction and got some epoxy on it. I can't wait till I get to the point where I can do all repairs except true a wheel..... I am not trust worthy with the LBS sometimes. God bless forums. :thumb:

PS, is there a easy way to check what springs/oil levels? (the fork should be stock OEM DJ1) they come with dip sticks? lol