Quantcast

Diamondback complete DH bike

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-diamondback-2015-db8-downhill-machine.html

Looks pretty awesome to me, with a smart parts spec. The only thing I would change would be the tires, but meh. I disagree with PB on the deore brakes. I think for the price, with big rotors, they're pretty sweet. Especially compared to the competition at the low price point: formula C1, avid elixir, etc.

I wonder if they're going to sell a high-end spec as well?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yep, that's a killer package for the $$$, and one I'd seriously consider if I was going to upwheel my DH ride. Interesting they're only offering 2 sizes, as the previous "large" version was *really* large based on the one dogboy had.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Yep, that's a killer package for the $$$, and one I'd seriously consider if I was going to upwheel my DH ride. Interesting they're only offering 2 sizes, as the previous "large" version was *really* large based on the one dogboy had.
I'm guessing just two sizes is to keep costs down initially?

I also like that they didn't rush it to market

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Check out Guerilla Gravity's GG/DH... not only AVAILABLE in the US, but also made right here... I'm betting they can top that build kit. Ridegg.com
great bikes for sure, but with a frame/shock price of $1925 you're gonna have a tough time matching a build spec for the total price of the DB. That leaves roughly $1500 for a build, and even a budget fork will eat up nearly half of it.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
True, but if you're looking at a Van RC, it gives you some room to work with. They have a budget park build for $3,500 and a budget race build for $4,000.

http://ridegg.com/ggdh-bike-park-build-kit

http://ridegg.com/ggdh-bike-park-build-kit

^^
I actually like the fork and tire spec better (on the race build), although I would have to get a wider steering rod.
The budget Race build is the appropriate comparison - and about $500 more. I agree on the tires, but Marz really doesn't have a value fork option that DB could have spec'd on the Goldilocks wheels.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
DB is asking $2500 For their frame and shock...so GG has them beat on frame-up builds...?
Considering that the DB comes with a Kashima DHX RC4, headset, seatpost, and spare hanger they are about the same. Nothing against GG (I love what they are doing), just pointing out a fair comparison.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
The budget Race build is the appropriate comparison - and about $500 more. I agree on the tires, but Marz really doesn't have a value fork option that DB could have spec'd on the Goldilocks wheels.

Good point. And FWIW, sounds like Marz has jettisoned the 888 model line in 2015 and will offer (at least) 3 different versions of the 380, with only the top model using the new "Expresso" stanchion coating and the others with the standard, "beighish" coating.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Considering that the DB comes with a Kashima DHX RC4, headset, seatpost, and spare hanger they are about the same. Nothing against GG (I love what they are doing), just pointing out a fair comparison.
Not sure about the shock, as its shown in the pics with a RC Van, and referenced as such in the article - but it also says DHX RC4 in the first paragraph, so there appears to be a typo.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Gotcha. Although, based on what I paid for a CCDB and headset on my MT, you'd be under $2,500 and I'm assuming you could get a seatpost for a song.
You can check it on the GG website. Frame is $1925 and there are dropdowns to add the shock, headset, seatpost, etc.. Once you add it up (and put paint on it) it's about $100 more. But whatever, there's good reasons to choose one or the other depending on your criteria.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I like it but I'd still buy a Status for less money over that.
The comparable status(II) is $100 more retail. For that you get arguably better tires and brakes, but I don't think you get the mini-wagon wheels yet, or a 150mm rear end for those that care.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/status/status-ii#features
But I share the sentiment with others, it's pretty cool to see some nice entry level stuff, maybe even some competition at this level.
Also cool that in most of these rigs, you can have the shock tuned, and drop a cartridge in the fork and have a more tuneable setup when you want it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahh yeah, it has gone up in price for 2014 and it looks horrible. I really like the 73mm BB and 135mm back end, the narrower all that stuff is the less you clip. People will buy a pedal because it's 2mm thinner than another but no one cares about how wide the bits that clip everything are, seems stupid.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Ahh yeah, it has gone up in price for 2014 and it looks horrible. I really like the 73mm BB and 135mm back end, the narrower all that stuff is the less you clip. People will buy a pedal because it's 2mm thinner than another but no one cares about how wide the bits that clip everything are, seems stupid.
Good point- I've had a couple of the 135x73 setups on specialized rowdy bikes, and I never felt that it was any kind of hindrance or overly flexy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Merida have also added a budget 650b DH bike, not sure on the price for the US but $3000AU is pretty good with a Marz fork and decent numbers-

Home
Mountain
Downhill
One-Eighty 6. 500
More features
TELL A FRIEND

One-Eighty 6. 500
Colorsmatt black (dark grey)
Frame Sizes
S
M
L