Quantcast

DHi shock

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I want to improve the rear ride of my DHi frame without spending too much money. It currently has an RS shock with too light a spring on it. It didn't seem "quite right" in Whistler. Even on slow-ish rebound it'd still top out a bit it seems.

Additionally the shock seems to be 0.25" longer than it should be (9" instead of 8.75") which stops me running the frame in both of it's settings - I think this is something Tim could sort though I don't know at what price.

Should I spend some money getting this shock serviced/fixed by Tim Flooks and a correct spring (450 instead of 400), or should I cast it aside and buy a pro-pedal fox RC?

Does a shock need to be specifically tuned to work well with the DHi? Would a propedal work well off of the shelf or need retuning to compliment the DHi?

Cheers...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sell yr RS POS and get an avalanche.

the DHi does use a 9" i2i shock, which is unusual. the only other one i know of which uses the same is the Giant DH, which is why i bought one when my DHi broke, so i could throw the avy right on it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
narlus said:
sell yr RS POS and get an avalanche.

the DHi does use a 9" i2i shock, which is unusual. the only other one i know of which uses the same is the Giant DH, which is why i bought one when my DHi broke, so i could throw the avy right on it.
Yeah I just spoke to Tim and he agreed that it should be a 9" shock. Apparantly the 0.25" spacer on my shaft is common too, the bikes were bending doglinks in their original setup so they had to reduce the stroke.

So how much travel does my DHi have? All very confusing. The new frames appear to run a 8.75x2.75 I'm sure (will go and find something to confirm this now).

I can't afford an avalanche.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you have no choice but to run a 9x2.75, there are Romic shocks for sale that aren't too expensive. When they work, they work well!!!!

I heard getting your shock tuned by that dude you're refering to makes a world of difference. Something about him making an RS shock feel really amazing. I'd say compare the costs of getting a Romic shock, having your current shock rebuilt, getting a Fox RC (which won't fit perfectly).

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, having spoken to him I think I'll stick with the RS shock. We all know they have a tendancy to blow, but I think that when they're working they work well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Again out of my price range at the moment, I'll just stick with a service on the Pro. TBH for all I know it doesn't even need a service, but given that I got it 2nd hand I've no idea if it's performing at its best or not.

Since people reading this thread know a thing or two about DHis, do you think changing my chainring size will affect anything? The custom pivoting/rotating MRP makes me wonder... currently has a 44t ring but I'd like to replace it with a 38/40.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had a 36T on mine for a while and that worked out ok; got a bit of chain rub on the inner MRP plate but nothing big. i am not sure how much it affected the pedaling of the bike, as the avalanche took care of all that for me. ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What made you get rid of the DHi? How did it compare to what you ride now (what DO you ride now? ;)) Was it simply because it cracked as they all seem to end up doing...?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got rid of it because it cracked (but not on the swingarm like most, it failed at the top shock mount, both welds and the tube itself cracked). i really liked the bike; felt low, responsive, very good pedaller. i only rode it w/ the monster T but i would have liked to try it w/ a lighter fork.

i ride a giant DH now and *really* like that bike. the minor quibbles are top tube height, chain line, and weight, but really they are minor in comparison to how the bike rides.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
- seb, when did you change from your slimmed down orange to gt?? have i been inactive for too long? :confused:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I sold the 222 last year because it was winter and I knew I wouldn't ride it much. Plus I was bored of it, and needed some money to pay some bills... also whilst I loved 90% of the bike, the one part I'd never really got on with was the frame.

Sold that on eBay for £1820 last september, then bought my iDrive (www.raceshoot.com/gtdhi2.jpg) for £1140 this spring. For that sort of money I can overlook stuff like the 24" doublewides ;)

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
- seb said:
I sold the 222 last year because it was winter and I knew I wouldn't ride it much. Plus I was bored of it, and needed some money to pay some bills... also whilst I loved 90% of the bike, the one part I'd never really got on with was the frame.

Sold that on eBay for £1820 last september, then bought my iDrive (www.raceshoot.com/gtdhi2.jpg) for £1140 this spring. For that sort of money I can overlook stuff like the 24" doublewides ;)

i hope it wont break for you, i was also on my way to buy a DHi, but at the final moment i decided not to, all those broken frames scared me off..

good luck with it!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
grimm said:
i hope it wont break for you, i was also on my way to buy a DHi, but at the final moment i decided not to, all those broken frames scared me off..

good luck with it!
BETD.co.uk will weld up a broken DHi and reinforce it so it doesn't happen again. Only question is shall I get that done as a preventative thing or wait for it to break :)

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
- seb said:
BETD.co.uk will weld up a broken DHi and reinforce it so it doesn't happen again. Only question is shall I get that done as a preventative thing or wait for it to break :)
if they can really do that, and you can afford it, have it done, then you may save yourself a nasty injury in case it would break in the worst moment :nopity: