Quantcast

DH Seats

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I know....I don't spend much time IN the saddle but this is the 1 part on my bike that I can't decide on.

Flatted my WTB Silverado Pro that came with my bike on the 1st or 2nd day on the mountain.
Broke my Rocket V SLT after 3 years but don't want to spend $130 on a new one.
Have a Tioga D-Spyder which I thought would be perfect. Light, cheap and chromo. But the thing just hurts.
Have a T.H.E DH saddle which is perfect...except that it squeaks constantly.
Have a WTB Aviator Comp but the thing adds a pound to my bike.

Is there a light, strong, quiet, semi-comfortable saddle out there that won't cost me over $100?

I'm thinking about getting an original Selle Italia Flite because it is the only seat I have ever truly loved. Classy or showing my age?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
The Flite is classic, definitely a good look.

as for the squeaky THE, take some teflon, or waxy lube and drip it up into the interface between the rails and the plastic of the seat, worth a try!!!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If not D spyder than tioga mc light. Though D spyder fits my butt perfectly. You get used to it being hard.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Selle Itaila SLR TT is the perfect balance of size and padding with light weight. It may be just over $100 though. I use slimmer saddles on my other bikes but for DH I like tall sides on the nose to lean against and generous padding.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I know....I don't spend much time IN the saddle but this is the 1 part on my bike that I can't decide on.

Flatted my WTB Silverado Pro that came with my bike on the 1st or 2nd day on the mountain.
Broke my Rocket V SLT after 3 years but don't want to spend $130 on a new one.
Have a Tioga D-Spyder which I thought would be perfect. Light, cheap and chromo. But the thing just hurts.
Have a T.H.E DH saddle which is perfect...except that it squeaks constantly.
Have a WTB Aviator Comp but the thing adds a pound to my bike.

Is there a light, strong, quiet, semi-comfortable saddle out there that won't cost me over $100?

I'm thinking about getting an original Selle Italia Flite because it is the only seat I have ever truly loved. Classy or showing my age?
tree-bicycle-co-ergo-nomical-seat-2.jpgs780_og_post.jpg
Lighter cleaner. But less adjustable. I don't sit much.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
My wtb devos have survived a few seasons now i fair few crashes and what not. Still as good as new, really comfortable and they have generous support when leaning on them. Plus got them for 1/3 of the price on crc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Selle italia shiver was my favorite. It's a bit heavier and therefore burlier than the ultralight saddles, but it was solid for me, had good side support, and was easy to get back over. As a bonus, it has a cutout that looks like it would clear the tire for frames that have clearance issues.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Chromag. That is all.
Also some of the Ibeam set ups are dope but you can get into a bit of cash with them.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I used an old ti Flite for a while, but the cover rotted off and the edge was just a little to sharp on the thigh. Put that on my commuter and have been using this on my DH bike:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175332_-1___
I never thought I would say this but I really like that Nashbar seat because of it's price and weight. Even if it isn't that durable I could have 3 of those for the price of something else.
I'm going to try to remedy my THE seat with teflon but if that doesn't work I think I'm going with the Nashbar.
Thanks!

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
If not D spyder than tioga mc light. Though D spyder fits my butt perfectly. You get used to it being hard.
The D spider looks really cool and it's light, but it's really short and has no texture. It's difficult to stay on it and I know it's wouldn't be very forgiving on my inner leg in a crash.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
SDG Ti-Fly, black kevlar.
Thought the fabric covering would be timid stuff, but it holds up well, and it's not as slippery as the other types of covering.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I never thought I would say this but I really like that Nashbar seat because of it's price and weight. Even if it isn't that durable I could have 3 of those for the price of something else.
I'm going to try to remedy my THE seat with teflon but if that doesn't work I think I'm going with the Nashbar.
Thanks!
I've found that seats with points on the tail catch your shorts easily. Especially for AM and DH I look for a solid tail that tapers in and curves down.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've considered Chromag since all the cool kids are using them on the TV.
I built up my new rig with a Chromag Moon DT saddle, and it seems pretty good after the first day of riding. I tend to run a little higher saddle height than average, so not catching on shorts or bruising inner thighs is important- both seem ok so far. Weight is 270g.

And, yeah, all the cool kids use them, which is super important.