Quantcast

DH Platform Pedals: Pins vs threaded screws

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
well basically the title says it all

i always avoid buying good reviewed/ sweet looking pedals that have pins

i have saints right now and i dont like them.. they feel small underneath my shoes

do you guys feel a difference between pin pedals and threaded screw pedals?

for the sake of the monkeys

pins

threaded screws

I rode various flats for years finding them all uninspired, pins or screws, until I wound up with a pair of Canfield Crampons, which use set screws. They stick to my shoes like they're welded; not sure if they're up to DH, that's not my bag. The one quibble I have is that it's easy to tear out a set screw if you strike a rock, but you then just get out the tap, clean the threads in the body, and screw in another.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

My first pair of Spank Spikes came with a set of the 1st screw in the picture, and it was good.
My second pair of Spank Spikes came with a set of the 2nd screw in the picture, and it sucked.
I replaced them with an inexpensive set of pins, and I like them the best. They give me the most grip (with 5.10 shoes) but they don't bite as viciously as the screws.

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
Get a pair of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/nukeproof-electron-flat-pedals-2014/rp-prod85858

Then go buy some longer screws, they aren't too hard to find and they are cheap. You will have a light weight, grippy, low profile pedal that doesn't catch on rocks for a very low price.

I have yet to find a downside to them.
I rock the Deity's which are the same and i have to agree that i haven't found a downside to them. I think the plastic shrugs off rock hits better than alloy pedals I've had in the past.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

I never seem to have any problems using these....

On a more serious note, I rode the saints and didn't love them, I have a VP Vice pedal that has held up very well to rock strikes/etc and has a mixture of threaded pins and standard pins. I've always felt they were plenty secure.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I have the atlases and really want to recommend them. the platform size and grip are great (some of the pins are angled back a bit, giving great traction when you push forward) but one of mine continually develops play, even after repeated servicings/mew bearing kits.

my 5yo kona wah wahs are still holding up strong, although probably due for a pin replacement. and they cost half as much.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Get a pair of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/nukeproof-electron-flat-pedals-2014/rp-prod85858

Then go buy some longer screws, they aren't too hard to find and they are cheap. You will have a light weight, grippy, low profile pedal that doesn't catch on rocks for a very low price.

I have yet to find a downside to them.
my buddy has the same ones and loves them and i also love the way ... he did strike a rock ( we build not so groomed landings in our woods :p ) and smeared one of the pins/ corner of his pedal
then again, any pedal would of done that

thanks for the recommendations guys, the nukeproofs are 34$... and that gave my wallet a hard on

the atlas's look great, but not a bone in my body wants to spend 160 for pedals

b.t.w iv been waiting exactly 15 days for my order from CRC... i think they dun goofed. i already emailed them asking where the shit my stuff is... i guess its time to fill out that form for a new order and maybe sneak in those electron pedals in
still waiting to try out @big-ted s part!!!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Last year CRC fucked up and sent my order to the shipping address on my paypal account, which I used to pay for the order but hand't used in years, took like 6 weeks to get my shit. I was thoroughly annoyed. Every other time it has been a very consistent 14-21 days since order time for the free shipping to the us. I just placed an order the other day....I guess we'll see when it finally makes it.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Wah wahs! Still my fave after some forays into retardedly expensive pedal land. Specialized bennies are a close second for me.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This. Straitline pedals suck. If not e.13, then DMR Vault or something else with set screws.
Yes, the only downside are the small socket heads of the pins. I glued a few of the pins, because they came loose often.
Guess what? Now I killed them pins on a rocky trail and cannot change them. :disgust:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think reverse entry screws with cap heads are the go. I've had top entry grub screws rip out on a hit, permanently ovalising/damaging the threaded hole. Having the cap head on the underside seems to prevent this, although the pins might still snap or bend, the pedal body doesn't get damaged. This might be contributed to by softer platform materials though.

After trying Saints (bent axle), Nukeproofs (bent axle, ripped pins out), Spanks (killed 2x bearing sets in a few months) I've ordered some DMR Vaults. Just chasing durable grippy flats that I don't have to service all the time, that don't weigh 600g like my old Flatboys.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
another vote for e13's. have a pair on my trail bike and my dh bike. dh bike gets mid length pins in the middle, with the longer ones on the leading and trailing edges. so much grip its fucking absurd. just don't slip a pedal, cut your shins to the bone. the igus bushings are awesome, literally no maintenance needed if that's your thing. personally i take mine apart to clean them and put a few drops of chain lube on the bushing maybe once/twice a year.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
Another vote for the RF atlas pedals. Decent sized platform with tall, grippy pins. I have them on my trail bike and love them. Might be able to find them on sale online with some searching.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Last year CRC fucked up and sent my order to the shipping address on my paypal account, which I used to pay for the order but hand't used in years, took like 6 weeks to get my shit. I was thoroughly annoyed. Every other time it has been a very consistent 14-21 days since order time for the free shipping to the us. I just placed an order the other day....I guess we'll see when it finally makes it.

CRC fucked me.... sent them money on the 9th of January ... (total of 124$; free shipping to US).. never got a shipping #... got lost in the mail.. had to fill out a "lost in post declaration form"... waiting for them to give me a new tracking number and order and hopefully they will ship it out this week

fucking headache

edit: not putting all the blame on CRC but someone dropped the ball

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That sucks. Mine took a while to sort out last year, but they came through. I have another order in route right now. I sure hope it doesn't get lost, I've had far too many other (outside of bike stuff) customer service issues lately, I would lose my mind.