Quantcast

DH bike purchase - HELP

robk619

Chimp
May 12, 2015
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a new DH bike now that I'm living in Denver and close to Keystone & Winter Park before the season starts. Right now I'm on a 2006 Haro X7 which works ok but looking for a newer dual crown bike. I saw this one on another forum for sale. Any feedback on whether or not this is a decent/good deal would be appreciated.

Large Carbon Demo, Fox 40 w/ti M spring, DHX rear w/500# spring. Set-up for 170-180#
It's set up beautifully I might ad, the last year for the sprung 40. Rides excellent. Vet owned, it has 20 rides on it. E-13 Hive wheel set. Was purchased used (from PB) with a couple flat spots on the rear..(from previous owner).
Shimano Zee brakes and rotors, X-9 drivetrain, LG+ guide, Minions, Renthal bars and stem, Thomson/SDG post and saddle. Mint, solid, even machine. Sorry, no trades. Interested? I can sweeten the deal with some Envy carbon DH bars too!

Asking $3500 firm.

Attachments

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
someone else whose ridden a demo will chime in but i have seen a couple of KILLER deals on PB lately. maybe it will justify buying a big bike again. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's going to be a lot better than your haro. Do you really need a bike that nice? Not trying to be a dickbutt but that's a very high end racebike. You could probably save buckets of money by going for something a year older, aluminum, and slightly lower in spec.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
that's going to be a lot better than your haro. Do you really need a bike that nice? Not trying to be a dickbutt but that's a very high end racebike. You could probably save buckets of money by going for something a year older, aluminum, and slightly lower in spec.
Are you suggesting he buy a dentist owned bike?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Don't listen to him

If you've got the $$$ hanging around then go for it. There's nothing more satisfying than a nice shiny new (kinda) bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't listen to him

If you've got the $$$ hanging around then go for it. There's nothing more satisfying than a nice shiny new (kinda) bike.
he should probably buy an intense, huh?

i'm not saying don't get a nice bike...i'm just saying that a medium spec bike is going to knock the socks off that haro, and will be really fun to ride. This bike will be too, and if you're throwing around cash, feel free to send some my way...but there's also gear, lift tickets, gas money, etc....and buying too much bike cuts into that fund.

robk619

Chimp
May 12, 2015

i'm not saying don't get a nice bike...i'm just saying that a medium spec bike is going to knock the socks off that haro, and will be really fun to ride. This bike will be too, and if you're throwing around cash, feel free to send some my way...but there's also gear, lift tickets, gas money, etc....and buying too much bike cuts into that fund.

Thanks for your input. I actually already have all of the gear for riding DH already. Could you mention a few of the medium spec bikes you have in mind that would be good to look at? It's been awhile since I've looked at buying a bike so I'm not really sure what's good and what's not when it comes to all of the bike brands on the market these days. Thanks for your time and input!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Intense has 50% fewer chainstays so it's maximum awesomeness rating is proportionally reduced (too lazy to do the math and figure out the exact ratio). I'd stick with the Special S.

You don't have to convince me that saving money is more important than a top of the line spec. I just bought a 2014 bike running a 9spd drive train. Do you have any idea how much faster I'd be with one more cog?

Just saying that if he's got the cash saved up for a bike he might as well get what he wants.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
Think of it this way, find a nice aluminum bike, demo, glory, session 88, tons of not quite top of the line race bikes, save a grand or more, take the money and go to Whistler.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm with rocko and kazlx, make it rain with a fancy new bike...maybe even a simple, yet still fancy, aluminum bike which won't suffer from thousands of micro-fractures over time (i.e. the dreaded "flexy" crabon) -

http://ridegg.com/ggdh-park

Plus, I've confirmed mtg with Guerrilla Gravity is in fact pro-kittens and puppys (even the carbon ones)

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
If you got the cash, buy whatever the hell you want. Who knows when the next time you buy a new bike will be? That Demo will not disappoint.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks for your input. I actually already have all of the gear for riding DH already. Could you mention a few of the medium spec bikes you have in mind that would be good to look at? It's been awhile since I've looked at buying a bike so I'm not really sure what's good and what's not when it comes to all of the bike brands on the market these days. Thanks for your time and input!
well ya know, I went and looked on PB for DH bikes in colorado, and I'm not finding much under 3500 that is better or not significantly worse. I found a legend for 500 less: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1739576/ and a Pivot pweenix for 1000 less, but it actually looks like that's a fair deal on the demo. If you can afford it, then go for it! There are some very good deals on GT furies via Jenson and Pricepoint if you want to go new. Jenson has the full lineup and Pricepoint has a single example. There are also some good deals on frames if you're willing to build up your own bike.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Actually, this bike kind of is medium spec, he could upgrade the brakes, there's higher spec derailuers and shifters out there, there's more expensive fork options (like the newer not sprung ones), he could get carbon wheels, carbon cranks, carbon bars, carbon posts, etc.

While it's not a lower or even lower medium spec'd bike, it's a good price for a VERY nice bike.

If I was in the market for a demo, I'd consider that bike to be a VERY thoughtfully put together build at $3500.