Quantcast

Deformed Maxxis casing

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got a 2.3 EXO DHF on the rear of my Megatrail. I was cornering hard, and burped it a little. Didn't lose enough pressure to make it unrideable or anything, so I didn't worry about it. Turns out the casing deformed enough that the tire is pretty lumpy and out of round now. It's seated correctly, and the wheel is dead true. Anyone seen this before?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yes, but only on Conti Rubber Queens/Trail Kings. Got a new one for 2 times, the second replacement is still untouched as I am back to Maxxis for their better casing, I thought... your story has me worrying right now. :banghead:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've probably had 30 of the Maxxis Exo casing tires and this is the first time I've done this. IT's not a super common problem.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I've probably had 30 of the Maxxis Exo casing tires and this is the first time I've done this. IT's not a super common problem.
Had the same happen on a 26" 2.5 EXO DHF running ghetto tubeless on an Enve 26DH. Riding through a rocky steam bed and scraped the side of the tire casing hard enough to make the tire burp. At first I thought the wobble was from the ghetto liner being bunched up under the tire bead, but when I got home and tried the tire with a tube, the wobble didn't go away.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I have seen it happen with EXO casings before. Mostly after slamming into a corner and holding it upright. It can be the downfall of awesome cornering powers on single ply tires.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have seen it happen with EXO casings before. Mostly after slamming into a corner and holding it upright. It can be the downfall of awesome cornering powers on single ply tires.
I think there may be something to this. Have a corner destroyer bro who'd warped at least 2 DHR2s, and now another friend who similarly janked up a DHR2 (although at least this particular tire was fairly old, unlike the other 2 which were pretty new). Per my frequently stated cycling philosophy, I think the key is go to dental school and slow (way) the eff down. Problem solved.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think there may be something to this. Have a corner destroyer bro who'd warped at least 2 DHR2s, and now another friend who similarly janked up a DHR2 (although at least this particular tire was fairly old, unlike the other 2 which were pretty new). Per my frequently stated cycling philosophy, I think the key is go to dental school and slow (way) the eff down. Problem solved.
Do you know which end they were running them on? Now that I think about it, I haven't actually used the EXOs as rear tires much. They've mostly been DHFs up front.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Pretty sure he had them front and back. Want to say it was mainly an issue with the back, but I will have to confirm. Maybe it's a sign we should all switch to fat bikes and stop rallying corners (or really anything for that matter).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure he had them front and back. Want to say it was mainly an issue with the back, but I will have to confirm. Maybe it's a sign we should all switch to fat bikes and stop rallying corners (or really anything for that matter).
Yeah. Rear tires get subjected to way more abuse in general, so that makes sense.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Per the local shop this is a common issue with Maxxis.

I have warranted 2 Specialized GRID casing tires for the same issue, both rears.
Specialized has a great no questions asked tire policy. With Maxxis I think you may be screwed....

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Don't forget that one should sternly chastise anyone with the ability to go faster. It's a pretty important part of tire preservation philosophy.
I actually have a long silver whistler and a UK police hat (what I refer to as a 'slowduro' helmet) so I can publicly shame and browbeat would be shredders, thereby preserving my own fragile ego along with other upstanding, heavy braking cyclists.

But to woodboogers example, I wonder if this is somewhat related to bikes/riders/suspension being so bad ass now days, that we're basically riding at a DH pace on DHish terrain but with singleply tires (i.e. more tear resistant sidewalls does not equal actual structural support or stronger beads)? Also wonder if rim dimensions significantly affect this issue? FWIW, I've not had this problem with my Wildrock'r2 on the rear, but again, I'm captain Slowduro.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Didn't encounter any trouble at all with all kinds of Maxxis ones. Wait a minute, nah, that's not true. I once had an Ardent which gave me 3(!) puntures in one run, first tubeless which didn't seal and then 2 snakebites. That tire learnt to fly, from the rim directly into the big garbage box. But still no burping to casing destruction desaster.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while and saw this thread. I have had this happen on several tires from more than one manufacturer (Bontrager and Maxxis).

Based on what I have seen/felt, I believe that the what is perceived as a deformed casing is actually the aramid bead sliding/shifting inside the tire. On one of the Bontragers I could actually vary the severity of the deformity by pulling on the tire near the bead with my hands; It is hard to explain, but I could feel the internal aramid bead slipping through the rubber carcass of the tire bead as I pulled it taught.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I head a customer complain exactly about this.

Schwalbe FTW.
Most of their tread patterns are still retarded.

I am tempted to try a Rock Razor in the back though, now that it's summer and everything is dry. I haven't run much Schwalbe stuff. Will the Snake Skin hold up as a rear tire for a fast/aggressive but not that big guy on a trail bike, or should I stick with the Super Gravity?

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
I had a set of Hans Ds, the sidewall were crazy tuff and I end up running then 10pis lower that I would a EXO maxxis to get the same feel.

But they sucked to fit to a stans or DT rims and they have to many tires that look like knob vomit.

Anyone know when the maxxis version of the rock razor is out?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Kinda amazing that Zoke looks to be finis, and yet Kenda is still making (and apparently selling) fucking Nevegals.
Nevegals have a cult like following among slow middle aged men in New England who are convinced that no other tire gives them better grip when the rock and roots get wet. I have been told they are "Mind Blowing" in the wet. I have 5 more years till I can try a set to see if I can get my Mind Blown.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Well, to be honest, I'm definitely in the slow & middle aged category, and my mind was indeed "blown" when I tried Nevegals several years ago. Maybe I was too young to appreciate all the mind blowing performance :confused:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City

I am tempted to try a Rock Razor in the back though, now that it's summer and everything is dry. I haven't run much Schwalbe stuff. Will the Snake Skin hold up as a rear tire for a fast/aggressive but not that big guy on a trail bike, or should I stick with the Super Gravity?
Stick to SG on the back.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nevegals have a cult like following among slow middle aged men in New England who are convinced that no other tire gives them better grip when the rock and roots get wet. I have been told they are "Mind Blowing" in the wet. I have 5 more years till I can try a set to see if I can get my Mind Blown.
The last time I rode nevagels was coincidentally the last time I thought about committing suicide

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer

If you are looking at the Rock Razor, go for the Speshy Slaughter in GRID casing instead.

I have used both, Razor Rock is slightly larger in 2.3, but wears faster.
Sidewall "feels" like it has more meat in Slaughter, plus it's cheaper and has the bomber warranty if anything happens (like your Maxxis issue).

Performance wise they are nearly identical.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you are looking at the Rock Razor, go for the Speshy Slaughter in GRID casing instead.

I have used both, Razor Rock is slightly larger in 2.3, but wears faster.
Sidewall "feels" like it has more meat in Slaughter, plus it's cheaper and has the bomber warranty if anything happens (like your Maxxis issue).

Performance wise they are nearly identical.
If they made a 26" Slaughter we wouldn't be having this conversation.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've done this twice to the 27.5 HR II version. Both from landing jumps slightly awkward. No flats or rim damage, but had to dump the tires as they were so far off they were wobbly at speed. Interestingly each time it was with tires that were getting later in their life. Could be related, not sure.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
If they made a 26" Slaughter we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Ooops, yeah that's a bummer eh?
From the company that said 650b wasn't worth it (2 years ago).....and that they would never make a 29er (10 years ago).
At least Specialized is predictable in their inconsistency!

Schwalbe for the win!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah maxxis has never made a tire that did that^ :rofl:

I've had about 20 exo tires since exo stuff existed and I've never had that happen......all of them run tubeless with some version of latex. If it's a 'maxxis thing' it's a new one. I haven't bought any exo tires in the last year so maybe they did something awesome (you know......like the griffon) and went cheap on something in their weave that now splits and lets the rubber expand.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I certainly don't think it's some sort of pandemic defect in maxxis tires. I saw the incidents jackalope is referring to because I was the rider in one and following speedy bro in the other. Both times were sideways landings with pressures that were too low (due to being lazy and not checking pre-ride). My tire was whooped so there is that as well. Basically I think if you're not running fatbike pressures and your tires aren't blown out, it's likely an uncommon occurrence.

Obviously the safest thing you can do is to take jackalope's advice, install 10 inch rotors, get brake lever extenders for maxxxium de-speeding force and just skid your way through life. For my part, I've got a new set of DHR2s to be installed this weekend.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah. I'll just chalk it up to "shit happens" and put a new tire on there.

#1orBust

Chimp
Jun 19, 2015
Yah just saw it happen last weekend.

Friend on a Brand New EVO MAXXIS DHF in the Rear.

He hit the wood step up at Snow Summit and land sideways. Wheel looks out of true but there is a big hop in the tire itself. He's sending it back to MAxxis for a new one.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I think I figured it out

Stop doing that
Look man. I enduro. Therefore I have two options when jumping: pencil air to head snap and sweet turn bar to sideways landing (with roost spray of course). I thought these tires were enduro approved--ie I should be able to do hackish sh!t on near XC weight gear with no adverse consequences. Maxxis needs to get with the program or everyone will be running fycking Hans Dampfs and Nevegals soon.