Quantcast

Deemax Ultimate issue

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Whats the secret to getting the tire bead to set in the rim? Im running UST and have deflated and refilled the tire numerous times but I can seem to get it in there.

Also...the booklet says dont use a tire lever to get the tire on there, how else can i get in on? I guess my hands are too weak...

Any suggestions :confused:

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Whats the secret to getting the tire bead to set in the rim? Im running UST and have deflated and refilled the tire numerous times but I can seem to get it in there.
Soapy water and hit it with a compressor up to 65psi. Should POP right in.
Also...the booklet says dont use a tire lever to get the tire on there, how else can i get in on? I guess my hands are too weak...
Any suggestions :confused:
Power thumbs. Start workin out.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
you're probably not getting the bead into the center channel very well. Start on the opposite end of where you're having a problem, and pinch the tire from both sides and push it towards the middle of the rim (and in towards the hub) and go around the entire tire that way.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
As others says above, get it in center channel, use lot of soapy suds, and either compressor or plastic levers (may scratch if not careful) if necessary. Will pop a couple of times if done right.

Greg

Chimp
Apr 27, 2011
Norway
You have to pump tires to max pressure and you should hear loud pop.
I ride only maxxis tires (both standard and UST) on deemax/ex823 rims and always have to pump them to max pressure to properly set bead on the rim

Aug 4, 2008
Not only you can but in my experience (and other guys too) Maxxis, Schwalbe and Conti non UST tires all work better than Maxxis UST.

Maxxis UST is a pile of poo.

Supposedly Michelins Nagesti are awesome and in my experience Hutchinsons (UST) don't work at all.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So I can run non ust tires tubeless??
With dh tires, you absolutely can. A little sealant is all you need.

Crank your compressor up to 90psi. Put some safety glasses on and give'r. :)

Something you can to do since they're burly wheels: Find the spot where the bead is not seating, and hit it on the ground (holding the wheel with two hands, non seated part facing the ground, the farthest away from you).

Aug 4, 2008
Crank your compressor up to 90psi. Put some safety glasses on and give'r.
Don't do this, ever. Inflating DH tires over their maximum pressure threshold WILL result in an explosion. Ask Worship Mud. :D

Something you can to do since they're burly wheels: Find the spot where the bead is not seating, and hit it on the ground (holding the wheel with two hands, non seated part facing the ground, the farthest away from you).
Don't do this either, because you will dent the wheel or destroy the bead on the tire. Just buy some tires that work with DeeMax/823

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't do this, ever. Inflating DH tires over their maximum pressure threshold WILL result in an explosion. Ask Worship Mud. :D
Yet I've probably done it a hundred times and never had it happen. I know it's possible but it seems like it's always a non-ust component involved.....rim or tire.

With UST rims and a UST tire, he'll be fine. More than likely it'll pop into place long before the pressure gets that high.

Don't do this either, because you will dent the wheel or destroy the bead on the tire. Just buy some tires that work with DeeMax/823
Dent the wheel? You're hitting the tire, not the rim. And I'll give you a hundred bucks if you can smack a dh tire hard enough to rip the bead. And you smack the tire where it's NOT even on the bead.....that's the point, remember?

It's funny to sit here and listen to things I do all the time that work very well (and hence the reason I mentioned them) being chastised as ineffective.

Aug 4, 2008
Dent the wheel? You're hitting the tire, not the rim. And I'll give you a hundred bucks if you can smack a dh tire hard enough to rip the bead. And you smack the tire where it's NOT even on the bead.....that's the point, remember?

It's funny to sit here and listen to things I do all the time that work very well (and hence the reason I mentioned them) being chastised as ineffective.
Well you are not hitting hard enough, I've seen it done before. But it was a combination of Hutchinson Bulldog tire and a hardcore Mountain Dweller Redneck.

He managed to destroy two tires in my presence.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well you are not hitting hard enough, I've seen it done before. But it was a combination of Hutchinson Bulldog tire and a hardcore Mountain Dweller Redneck.

He managed to destroy two tires in my presence.
Well you're buddy's probably not too bright for wailing on it that hard.

Plus we're talking about a REAL tire company here, not some crappy french xc tire.

Come on man, think about it.

Watch 2:27 in this vid.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Untitled,8397/Root-Rider-TV,2859

That kind of thing happens all the time to dh tires and wheels every time somebody lands sideways. A 160-190lb rider moving at 20-30mph landing sideways.......

You can hit a tire that hard with your arms? I know I can't. And you'd be kind of a dumbass to even try. I'm not talking about hulking out on the thing, just give some moderate whacks. It does work. If it didn't, even your buddy wouldn't have been trying it.

Just because you saw it happen once with a shltty tire from someone beating the living piss out if it, doesn't mean someone with some common sense can't do it correctly.

Last edited:

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Applying Pedro's Bike Lust frame polish the rim works wonders when seating tubeless tires on Mavic rims in my experience. After many fearful rounds of inflating tires up to more than 80 PSI I decided to try Bike Lust because of the super slippery coating it creates. I simply took a rag, sprayed some Bike Lust on it, wiped the inner surfaces of the rim, and let dry for about 5 minutes. Then mounted the tire and pumped it up. Generally it now fully seats at around 40-50 PSI using a standard floor pump.

Aug 4, 2008
Just because you saw it happen once with a shltty tire from someone beating the living piss out if it, doesn't mean someone with some common sense can't do it correctly.
I agree, for somebody with some common sense there is no need to destroy their wheels/tires or pump their tires to 90 psi. Things fall into place waaay before. :)

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
I wish I would have known non ust tires worked better.... :think: I just bought 4 new maxxis ust tires. I almost broke my thumb trying to get one on the wheel.

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007

It is THE loudest bang I've ever heard. I blew a Maxxis UST DHF off at about 70 psi with a floor pump after (i think) I compromised the bead putting it on, but no way could I get it to bead. I've done a ton of tubeless tire installs both motorcycle and MTB but this was a first for me.
I stood in shock for about 10 seconds, then checked my body for holes, then waited about an hour for the ringing in my ears to subside.
They should bead by~50 psi IMO.