Quantcast

Dear UCI,now that you're about to lose an assload of money....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Reams of hilarious sh$t are going to go down soon with USAC as well. I give them about 14 months.

I can't see the current USAC administrators lasting through the year, personally.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
University of California, Irvine. Apparently they are about to lose a lot of money.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
You might want to start supporting the red headed stepchild of cycling.

I guarantee the only thing you gotta test for is alcohol,weed and for me..a whole lotta ibuprofen.

Gonna watch it all burn!
The UCI? These are the guys who got snowballed by Rockyroad despite overwhelming evidence it was a scam job. Corruption or stupidity aside, it says something about just how many f*cks they don't give about DH racing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The UCI? These are the guys who got snowballed by Rockyroad despite overwhelming evidence it was a scam job. Corruption or stupidity aside, it says something about just how many f*cks they don't give about DH racing.
they wouldn't care about road racing if it didn't make them buttloads of money. pat mcquaid is pretty much the king of the muppets.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
It sounded like Armstrong was going to start naming names, I guess that's what you guys are referring too.

Does anyone know what channel the interview will be broadcast on? Don't tell me it's the Oprah network... I don't even get cable, cancelled that crap a year ago.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Why would one choose to come clean on...Oprah?

Maybe he felt that she might be the only person that wouldn't reach over and strangle him to death mid-interview. Or maybe he wants to tap that?
Why Oprah? I would guess he's getting a lot of money. Seeing as all his endorsements are gone and he is facing multiple lawsuits, I would assume that money is no longer in great supply.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Why Oprah? I would guess he's getting a lot of money. Seeing as all his endorsements are gone and he is facing multiple lawsuits, I would assume that money is no longer in great supply.
With a net worth of aprox $125 million, he's got a bit of a cushion even if he has to pay back $12 mil or so in prize money/bonuses and fight a few more lawsuits down the road.

From Velonews: "A spokeswoman for Winfrey insisted Wednesday no question would be off limits and Armstrong would not be paid for a 90-minute interview that is due to air on January 17."

Why Oprah: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/millar-leery-of-stage-managed-armstrong-interview-with-winfrey_270837

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Question is, if this whole scandal brings down the UCI, will I love or hate Armstrong?

Two things I do know:

Trek should bring back the Lemond brand.
Trek should make a farewell video for Gwin.
Trek f#cked Lemond hard. They have parted ways.
I know there are a couple of semi-shuttered bike factories in the USA that would love to build some bikes for his brand though...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
With a net worth of aprox $125 million, he's got a bit of a cushion even if he has to pay back $12 mil or so in prize money/bonuses and fight a few more lawsuits down the road.

From Velonews: "A spokeswoman for Winfrey insisted Wednesday no question would be off limits and Armstrong would not be paid for a 90-minute interview that is due to air on January 17."

Why Oprah: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/millar-leery-of-stage-managed-armstrong-interview-with-winfrey_270837
You're way off base with the $125 million figure. I'd say he's $20 million liquid, and that he's highly leveraged. His finances are a complete mess based on how he's moved money and property in the past 18 months - and that's just the transactions which are public. He was already in a tough spot before the 2009 comeback.

Sure, he'll never be in the poor house. It's just that the $120+ million figure that's bandied about is far from accurate. You seem like a level-headed guy. Don't buy into the hype.

Cash flow and liquidity are his primary issues at the moment, particularly as he burns through an estimated $500k/month in legal fees.

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Also, yeah, if Armstrong does dish on the UCI and is truly open, then they're done. The breakaway organization will move forward with full IOC support at that point.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
You're way off base with the $125 million figure. I'd say he's $20 million liquid, and that he's highly leveraged. His finances are a complete mess based on how he's moved money and property in the past 18 months - and that's just the transactions which are public. He was already in a tough spot before the 2009 comeback.

Sure, he'll never be in the poor house. It's just that the $120+ million figure that's bandied about is far from accurate. You seem like a level-headed guy. Don't buy into the hype.

Cash flow and liquidity are his primary issues at the moment, particularly as he burns through an estimated $500k/month in legal fees.
I think you hit the nail on the head, highly leveraged. When your income of several $million per year stops, your liabilities don't just go away. And I'm guessing his liabilities are several $million per year as well. Sprinkle in a few lawsuits and the need for a full time security team and you suddenly have to change your lifestyle drastically AND go on Oprah.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2013
Also looks like he trying to cut a deal with Feds. They are going after a drug trafficking charge which carries a min of a 2 year jail sentence. USA Cycling is in this too. You know Bruynell is walking around in depends right now.

This will be great entertainment, probably better then most of the actual racing this year.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Also looks like he trying to cut a deal with Feds. They are going after a drug trafficking charge which carries a min of a 2 year jail sentence. USA Cycling is in this too. You know Bruynell is walking around in depends right now.
The federal investigation was shuttered last year with the help of Bill Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. It's unlikely (impossible?) that Birotte's office would reopen that case.

The open avenue now will be the Qui Tam case that Landis initiated.

Jan 15, 2013
The federal investigation was shuttered last year with the help of Bill Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. It's unlikely (impossible?) that Birotte's office would reopen that case.

Will try to find the link. Thought I read it on Velonews this morning, but I have not been able to locate it.

This is nice summary so far though - http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/must-read-justice-department-recommends-joining-armstrong-suit_271482

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Net worth isn't your liquid assets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Rumor I heard is that the doj is pushing for the federal case to be reopened, especially if he perjured himself (even if they can't specifically go after him for perjury)

Especially considering no reason why the case was shut was ever made public.