Quantcast

Cuba

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
WTF is all the outrage about normalizing relations with Cuba?
We forgave countries that did far more harm to the US (russia, germany, japan, canada)

My wife spent some time there years ago.
The poverty is hideous and the people are wonderful.
All because the Miami exile community is butt-hurt that Castro stripped them of their colonial, slave-based wealth.
I understand being pissed because Florida, but SUIP!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good rum, cigars and baseball players to come. Also opening up a market for American businesses...Repugnicans are just mad because Obama did it and not one of their lapdogs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good rum, cigars and baseball players to come. Also opening up a market for American businesses...Repugnicans are just mad because Obama did it and not one of their lapdogs.
not only that, from a diplomatic standpoint, he's forcing the republican's hand on this. if ever a future repub president tries to undo this, it will look, very very bad from an international relations standpoint.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Marco Rubio is such a fucktard
He threatened to use his new position as a subcommittee chairman on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to block the nomination of an ambassador to Cuba and the building of an embassy there, and he said the better policy would be to increase the Soviet-era sanctions.
at least he's consistent with the GOP's desire to go backwards not forwards.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Of all the confusing questionable foreign policies we have had, I have found this to be the most confusing and questionable. It makes absolutely no sense in the post cold war world, other than anger and a desire for revenge from the exile community. Now that Russia is getting all weird again it would make sense to open relations and possibly prevent any soviet style influence south of 'Mericas limp ding dong.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hell Florida was going to keep voting for the Elephants anyways so he figured what the hell might as well do it now and really piss off the exiles and the GOP. My cuban BIL is effing livid, of course he is a hard core anti Obamapihile anyways.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
in another vein this could be a brilliant move. Russia and Putin are heating up the old Cold War BS, russian economy is in the dumper. Cuba depended on Russia for cash. Take away the sanctions dangle the sawbucks and pull Cuba out of the Russian back pocket. Somewhere in the Kremlin Putin is issed

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Bugger, there goes my plans to visit Cuba before it gets fucked by hordes of American tourists. :(
Your average 'murkin won't go there until there's sufficient infrastructure to support a 20,000 cal/day diet and rascal tours.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was curious last night, so I looked at Cuba's military airfields on google earth. It looks like they have about 2 Mig 21s and a Mi-8 helicopter. They could have more airplanes in the open-bunkers, but most of the roads to them don't even look to be serviceable.

And could we make Cuba "S. Florida"?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
i never understood the obsession with cuba during the 3 horrible years lived in s. floridump. seriously, WGAF about that place?
Essentially you lot seem (from an outside perspective) to get monumentally obsessed and butt hurt about countries that successfully tell you to eff off out of their internal politics.
Iran
Cuba
Vietnam
Korea
Russia/USSR

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
True, but I guess I meant more that I didn't get why people there seemed so enamored of the place and were constantly so damn eager to try to visit, etc. I understand the whole political grudge thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Part of me thinks now that Obama has lost all support in congress that he is basically trolling the Republicans. Creating executive orders that he knows the republicans will fight, but have strong public support.

Now he needs to find away to drop a campaign finance bomb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Part of me thinks now that Obama has lost all support in congress that he is basically trolling the Republicans. Creating executive orders that he knows the republicans will fight, but have strong public support.
and will make them look even worse if they try to undo it once he's out of office

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If
and will make them look even worse if they try to undo it once he's out of office
If anything I think it could be a strategy for 2016. Make certain issues with popular support "hot topics" that will be in the forefront for the next election. Repubs will be faced with the dilemma of making their old angry racist base happy in the primaries with positions that are unpopular with the average 'merican, which will be more "Americano" than ever in 2016

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Essentially you lot seem (from an outside perspective) to get monumentally obsessed and butt hurt about countries that successfully tell you to eff off out of their internal politics.
Iran
Cuba
Vietnam
Korea
Russia/USSR
Hey dont lump me in with that lot...IDGAF if other countries succeed or fail without us. Doesnt affect my paradigm whatsoever...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hey dont lump me in with that lot...IDGAF if other countries succeed or fail without us. Doesnt affect my paradigm whatsoever...
Lump you in?
You ARE the Lumpenproletariat Americana!!!! :shakefist:
Don't deny it, we all know it's true.
Why do you hate the black man JohnE?
Why, just why. :cray: