Quantcast

Credit card dispute

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I booked a flight online a couple days ago. It's to China, so we're talking ~$1600. I looked at my credit card statement and saw that I'd been charged twice. Called the booking company up and was told that they'd reverse one of the charges, but that it would take 2-3 weeks to process. I don't need the credit limit space but I'm kind of tempted to dispute the charge with my credit card company just to be difficult about it because this seems like some bullshit. Thoughts?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cheapoair.com, found through Kayak.com :rofl:

Their reviews do, in fact, suck. Never again.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Indeed.

They were the only search that reasonably pieced together a flight from Seattle to Hanzhong (which is so fucking tiny there are only 2 flights per day in/out :rofl:)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just curious, how long can you even delay before disputing a charge? Does it conveniently fall into that time slot after the 2-3 week period, where you'll probably find that they don't respond to calls, emails etc etc?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
is this for work or is this a new vacation spot?

if work...why are you paying for it?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i always put as much work travel on my cc as possible...with costco amex i get between 1-3% cash back at the end of the year. i pay it off each month, and easily make 10x+ the annual fee for the card each year...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
well, the annual costco membership fee. no annual "card fee" per se...if you go w/business/corporate membership there's an additional fee, but you have to spend moar to make it worth it. as it is, we get almost $1k back per year...if only I could put my mortgage on it... :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
well, the annual costco membership fee. no annual "card fee" per se...if you go w/business/corporate membership there's an additional fee, but you have to spend moar to make it worth it. as it is, we get almost $1k back per year...if only I could put my mortgage on it... :)
Ah... gotcha. You guys are in the same boat as we are. Amex pays us. Costco pays us. We makin' MONEY just on livin'.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Annual fee? :confused:

Our Costco Amex has no such fee... :think:
Totally, Amex annual fee is for suckers. I have a free Fidelity Amex with no fee and 2% cash back on everything I buy. Then it rolls automatically into an IRA tax free. I have not found anything that can beat that deal.

Booked once with ceapoair and had no problems. They do have some good deals.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That wouldn't work for those of us who participate in employer 401(k) or 403(b) plans and can't deduct IRA contributions.

I have an Amex Blue Cash that has no fee and pays 0.5/1.5% and then 1.5/5% on everything/gas + groceries before and after $6,500 in annual purchases, if that makes sense. In other words, by about March I get 5% back on gas and groceries.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seriously hope you've contested it with your CC company/bank. Puts the ball in the retailer's court, they have to prove why both charges were legit to the CC company. Don't wait.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
is this for work or is this a new vacation spot?

if work...why are you paying for it?
Citi Double Cashback card. 1% immediately and another 1% when I pay it off, which I do monthly. It's free money.

Seriously hope you've contested it with your CC company/bank. Puts the ball in the retailer's court, they have to prove why both charges were legit to the CC company. Don't wait.
Done.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Credit card company called me earlier, turns out cheapoair refunded the money within 24 hours without the card company having had to intervene. By the time they looked into it the charge had already been reversed. No idea where the 2-3 weeks number came from.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Credit card company called me earlier, turns out cheapoair refunded the money within 24 hours without the card company having had to intervene. By the time they looked into it the charge had already been reversed. No idea where the 2-3 weeks number came from.
this provides no entertainment value.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
this provides no entertainment value.

I know... If he had only gone down to the bank branch and made it rain deposit slips. Then made a great oration on how the banks are screwing us over by kiting our money on top of the managers desk. Then they cleared up the problem and bought you lunch at Burger King. That's what I would have done....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That wouldn't work for those of us who participate in employer 401(k) or 403(b) plans and can't deduct IRA contributions.
Incorrect. You can contribute up to $17500/year into an employer sponsored plan and an additional $5500/year into an IRA . There are income limitations to pretax IRA contributions,but you can definitely contribute to both.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Incorrect. You can contribute up to $17500/year into an employer sponsored plan and an additional $5500/year into an IRA . There are income limitations to pretax IRA contributions,but you can definitely contribute to both.
You'll note that I threw in the word deduct there deliberately. Contributing to a traditional IRA without being able to deduct said contributions is of little utility, IMO (although one could use it to back-door Roth, I suppose). Phaseout for deductibility for married filing jointly ends at $110k:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/retirement/03/011603.asp

#firstworldproblems if one can't deduct, indeed

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Within a couple days, yeah. So I'm fine with it, I'll take the credit card rewards and run.
you can always tell them to stuff it on a trip if you haven't been reimbursed.

story time: at one of my previous jobs i was a consultant and they required frequent travel. they refused to issue me a corp card, so i made it clear that i wasn't going to book another trip until i was reimbursed for the previous trip. 4th or 5th trip rolls around and i didn't get reimbursed quickly enough (my boss neglected to approve the expense report on time). so i didn't book my next trip. they were furious (a product launch was actually delayed by a week because of it), but then i reminded them of the agreement (re: my personal CC). my expense report approvals were always expedited after that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I run a lot of business related expenses on my personal card. Reimbursement cycle is faster than the credit card cycle so there isn't any short term risk, but I am not sure what it does to my credit rating when my monthly credit card bill is 3 times what it would normally be. I get the points but the company is sitting on a few weeks of cash based on employee credit. On the other hand I have heard a lot of stories where employees go apeshit with company cards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as long as you pay it off there should be little effect on your credit rating. if anything it should help your score.

also something interesting i found out: it takes MUCH longer for a outstanding debt on a corporate card to negatively effect your credit score compared to a personal card.