Quantcast

Cranks, cranks, cranks

UnabikeR

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
Green Bay and Marquette
I've had a set of Azonic 454's for a couple years and never had much trouble with setting them up or maintaining them (and everybody seems to hate setting them up). It's like the other dude said - some people are just more mechanically inclined. I just took a big leap of faith and ordered a set of Diabolis's, but that's just because I am fascinated with shiney new parts and I like being poor - my 454's will go on a hardtail.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
profro said:
It is relevant.

You are giving the opinion that BMX style bbs are too hard to setup and because of your experience someone might not try it out. I am saying that with the BMX style bbs I have tried from FSA and a generic company there isn't the problem you have with holding the cup while tightening the lock ring.
ahh sorry, I misinterpreted what you said there! I thought you meant along the lines of "I have ____ and it's totally different to what you have", which struck me as pointless. Sorry!

Whatever system you have, sounds good. Mine is a piece of crap and I hate it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd say get Shimano XT. They're REALLY light, the BB is really cool, and they're strong to boot. They are a bit pricey, though.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I don't doubt they're light, and i know the bb is cool, but how strong are they really and can they take any bashing? My hussefelts are still straight but have scuffs and gouges out the wazoo. Like I said (or didn't, I don't remember) the crank side of the spindle/crank interface has completely had it, it seems partly due to the way i weight that side of the bike or something. It didn't help that the crank bolt kept comming out through the lifetime of the crank; which lead to the slight deformation of the splines on the spindle and which now makes the crankset basically a write off because the new arm i got won't stay tight.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
thaflyinfatman said:
ahh sorry, I misinterpreted what you said there! I thought you meant along the lines of "I have ____ and it's totally different to what you have", which struck me as pointless. Sorry!

Whatever system you have, sounds good. Mine is a piece of crap and I hate it.
Cool, I thought that was maybe the way you interpted it. ;)

The thing is that you will have to probably spend a good chunk of change to get a nice set no matter what. I tried the cheap setup (Hussenfelts and Prodigys), but I had to keep replacing them due to poor BBs and bent crank arms. If it really is an issue, save the money and get something like the warrantied Raceface cranks, and the 4 bearing Truvativ BB or Saints or the RaceFace Diabulous or Profile Race arms with a Ti spindle.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Cool, I thought that was maybe the way you interpted it. ;)

The thing is that you will have to probably spend a good chunk of change to get a nice set no matter what. I tried the cheap setup (Hussenfelts and Prodigys), but I had to keep replacing them due to poor BBs and bent crank arms. If it really is an issue, save the money and get something like the warrantied Raceface cranks, and the 4 bearing Truvativ BB or Saints or the RaceFace Diabulous or Profile Race arms with a Ti spindle.
Is the 4 bearing Truvativ one called the Gigapipe? I had to throw the Gigapipe BB on my bike at Mt. Snow when I was in a pinch, and I was just wondering what is special about it.
I know I can't use my Isis BB tool on it which is weird.
Does it have bigger bearings or something?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
From my understanding the Gigipipe can have 2, 3 or 4 bearings depending on model. Other than that I don't know what makes it a Gigi as opposed to a non-Gigi.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Jeremy R said:
Does it have bigger bearings or something?
The bearings are spaced fairly wide, wider than most ISIS BB's.

Shimano XT are strong? Strong in the same league as tubular cromo and saint/diabolus cranks? No... I don't think so...