Quantcast

Crank Swap.. need advice

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i currently have FSA gravity lights... not sure what length

im looking at zee cranks.. for 99$ at jenson

anyone got any other recommendations? and what length cranks do you guys use and why

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
With a DHR I'd recommend 165 with the low BB. You can get away with 170, but wouldn't try 175. If you can't decide between 165 and 170, I believe longer cranks provide more leverage and better pedaling while shorter cranks provide more rock clearance. Pick your poison.

In terms of Zee cranks, go for it! Amazing price and plenty strong. Shimano BBs last forever and installation is stupid easy. Also, I think the Shimano crank/spindle interface is the best in the business in terms of durability.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Every time I buy anything except Shimano cranks I'm disappointed. I have two sets of RF Turbine Cinches right now. I've had the preload collar bolt on one of them fall out on the trail, and both need loctite to keep the main bolts from backing out and creaking.

So yeah, go for the Zees. 170 should be fine, just watch where you pedal.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I agree with yd35 on getting 165mm for the DHR, it's very low.

Zee are good, keep in mind that FSA are one of the few brands that use a similar interface design to Shimano so the FSA items actually share the same benefits. But if you need new cranks, then it's hard to go past Zee for $99.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Despite the killer price, I think you need to fire up the time machine and add a little flash to your DHR: Kooka FTW

Or go full Miami Vice

Just make sure to get some socks or something to protect the cranks from UV, otherwise, this could happen

Just to give you an idea of how much better rainbow colored Kooka cranks can make an already sick bike look -

And looky here, you can even stay within your budget with these off-set mother fuckers

There's even pre-twisted cranks available

But if you want the ultimate in light weight *and*ultra stiff cranks, you have to go Ti

Whichever crankset you decide on, make sure its square tapered, bendy/breaky, 5 bolt and 175 to 180 mm.
Keep in mind, I'm just trying to help you make the most appropriate decision for your bike.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Despite the killer price, I think you need to fire up the time machine and add a little flash to your DHR: Kooka FTW

Or go full Miami Vice

Just make sure to get some socks or something to protect the cranks from UV, otherwise, this could happen

Just to give you an idea of how much better rainbow colored Kooka cranks can make an already sick bike look -

And looky here, you can even stay within your budget with these off-set mother fuckers

There's even pre-twisted cranks available

But if you want the ultimate in light weight *and*ultra stiff cranks, you have to go Ti

Whichever crankset you decide on, make sure its square tapered, bendy/breaky, 5 bolt and 175 to 180 mm.
Keep in mind, I'm just trying to help you make the most appropriate decision for your bike.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
dood, I am disappoint that you don't know the only real answer:

Get more out of your bike with this unique and proven crank design.
The Z-Torque Crank is an innovative crank assembly made for all types of bicycles. This patented and tested crank technology provides riders many advantages, inluding
  • Smoother pedaling
  • More power to climb hills
  • Less perceived effort to pedal
  • Faster acceleration
  • Less affected by headwinds
  • Ability to turn higher gearing
Z-Torque has been scientifically tested and proven to provide more available power than a typical pedal assembly. Get more out of your bike. Get Z-Torque.
http://z-torque.com/

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I hate to shit on the shimano parade, but I guess I will. In this case, Zee sounds like a no-brainer to me, and between those and a pair of SRAMs equivelant (descendant?) I'd take the Shimano for ease of removal.
BUT I have had mostly sram/truvativ cranks on my mountain bikes over the years,usually OEM, and always work totally fine. No sloppy arm fit or wear, no exploding or excessively quick wearing bearings (except the ISIS years) or shit spindles.
I think cranks are like headsets, where it's pretty hard to go horribly wrong, and easy to point out how bombproof example A is when really, most are pretty good. /shit rant

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Gravity light 7050 / hollow forge cranks are still on eBay for 69 bucks!

I bought two pairs, but got them even cheaper. Bought one for my dh and one pair for my trail bike. They been working great!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dood, I am disappoint that you don't know the only real answer:

Get more out of your bike with this unique and proven crank design.
The Z-Torque Crank is an innovative crank assembly made for all types of bicycles. This patented and tested crank technology provides riders many advantages, inluding
  • Smoother pedaling
  • More power to climb hills
  • Less perceived effort to pedal
  • Faster acceleration
  • Less affected by headwinds
  • Ability to turn higher gearing
Z-Torque has been scientifically tested and proven to provide more available power than a typical pedal assembly. Get more out of your bike. Get Z-Torque.
http://z-torque.com/

Dood those cranks...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
if you're referring to the g-lights, paying anything at all for them is borderline a scam. there are probably more bent g-light cranks than crooked evil DH frames
Those cranks had a big following here in the PNW, being a local company with lots of gravity/fsa stokage/ sponsorship. The bending on the old ones was a problem, but I thought the later 7050 (higher grade than previous) solved it? Anyone confirm?

I think @kickstand has a point- that crimson horse seller's store is a POS, and he's "gone"?? looks sketch

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those cranks had a big following here in the PNW, being a local company with lots of gravity/fsa stokage/ sponsorship. The bending on the old ones was a problem, but I thought the later 7050 (higher grade than previous) solved it? Anyone confirm?

I think @kickstand has a point- that crimson horse seller's store is a POS, and he's "gone"?? looks sketch

maybe it was the old ones. here on the east coast a lot of people gave up on them after the first gen. they just couldn't handle east coast rox

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
he's got like 1400 positive reviews over a couple years. That's a lot of work to rip somebody off for $30.

My guess is that nobody rides 2x bash on an 83mm bottom bracket anymore, and all the bendies back in 2004 chased people onto real brands like Shimano.

Besides, they sponsor charlie sponsel, how desireable can they be?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I agree, the Zees are 6000 series non-hollow aluminum. you get the nice spindle interface, but the arms are nothing special.
The arms are not anything special, but the value at $99 is pretty good.

Though I've always favored dependability over "special arms" that look the same as everything else during my bike rides.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't google image search "Special arms" at work. Pretty sure I'm on some kind of list now.

Special arms to me means durable, light, and strong. If those are not good qualities, then my world is all mixed up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't google image search "Special arms" at work. Pretty sure I'm on some kind of list now.

Special arms to me means durable, light, and strong. If those are not good qualities, then my world is all mixed up.
you've got you're engineering confused. it's light strong cheap.

4130biker

May 24, 2007

you're a special arm :p