Quantcast

computer is dead - where to troubleshoot?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
JBP is right, make sure your cables, including the big one in the back are actually connected, and that switches are actually "on". Hopefully your plugged into a surge protector of some sort, so make sure that actually isn't Tango Uniform (is anything else plugged into it still working) if yes try another slot just to be sure, if you have another power cord for your power supply swap it out to eliminate that (though I've never personally seen one bad). Make sure everything inside your confuser is securely connected. Eliminating all those silly things, I'd go for a power supply.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As said above, the stupid stuff is the first place to start. Secure connections, obvious failure points, etc. Open your case and verify that the obnoxiously small batch of wires that leads from the front of the case into a tiny ~20 pin header into the motherboard is secure (not the USB one, the one with all the small individual connectors). I f***ing hate those wires.

One thing that fails sometimes and is a bitch to discover is the actual power switch on the front of the case. If you're feeling industrious, you can dig around on the case (might have to remove the faceplate, or it might be inside the case itself) and find the two wires that are running into the power switch. If you can jump those wires (just short them together if there's any exposed metal - a screwdriver works well for this, anything with an insulated handle), you can bypass the switch and see if that starts it up.

You can also jump them from the small header on the motherboard. The case power switch has a 2 pin connector on the aforementioned header, and it'll say "PWR" on it. Note the direction it was installed so you can replace it again. Again, a screwdriver across those two pins on the header will work great, just don't short it against anything else.

Most people end up replacing their PSU and motherboard before they discover that the little plastic $0.50 switch is the source of the problem.

If it's not the switch, the obvious culprit is the PSU but it could easily be the motherboard. I'd buy either locally or from Amazon (or another place with a good return policy) so if it's not the PSU, you can just return it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Try it again.

You did check to make sure the switch on the back of the power supply didn't get flipped to off? I hate that fvcking thing...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Try it again.

You did check to make sure the switch on the back of the power supply didn't get flipped to off? I hate that fvcking thing...
that was the first thing i checked, but it never changes position as the machine is wedged under my desk (unless somehow the cats managed to get at it). no dice. all other devices were still on via the power strips.

the machine was on two nights ago, so i can't imagine a switch just died...likely the PSU. i do have a tendency to keep it on 24/7, and it's almost 4 years old at this point...so, i guess i'll swap that out first and see what happens.

or i could to the apple store, where they sell failure-free hardware.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
or i could to the apple store, where they sell failure-free hardware.
No need to get passive aggressive. Just take it into a Microsoft Store. It's like an Apple Store, but with no customers...easy to get help.

Can I rant about PSU warranties? I had one die a couple of years ago, and the bastards wouldn't cross ship me one, even with a CC#. What good is waiting 2 weeks for my replacement warranty PSU? Bastards...

auzzy

Chimp
May 1, 2008
Victoria, BC
When was the last time you blew all the dust out? Chances are if it's stuck under a desk against the wall and left on 24/7 there is dust galore clogging up everything.

If you do decide to replace the power supply, check to see if you can RMA it. When mine died, I was able to do that despite it being a second hand computer (never doing that again!) and not having the original receipt.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
No need to get passive aggressive. Just take it into a Microsoft Store. It's like an Apple Store, but with no customers...easy to get help.
nothing passive about it. KonaJobs' recommendation was that i go to the apple store, where apparently they either sell components that have an infinite life cycle or if you buy the prohibitive apple care, they'll give you a new part.

btw, i have blown out the dust about a year ago when i installed a new drive, but i will try that.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've actually had a power cable itself die, of all things. Shorted out. They are very common and most are not made particularly well.

If it's the PSU, don't go overboard on a new one. Buy a basic one from a good brand (Antec, etc)

They are actually very easy to install. A few screws and a few connectors is all.

Other possibles:

The battery for the MOBO. (it'll look like a little watch battery)

RAM not seated all the way

RAM fried

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Depends mostly on your video card/hard drive situation. If you have a monster video card or a ton of drives, you might need a 500W PSU... but in reality, almost everyone has an over-spec'd PSU. 380W is a lot and would run any normal system (single CPU, normal video card, 2-3 hard drives and an optical drive).

I have a 500W PSU and have a beefy video card w/ two power connectors, 4x hard drives and an optical drive. And my CPU is a 95W CPU.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
nothing passive about it. KonaJobs' recommendation was that i go to the apple store, where apparently they either sell components that have an infinite life cycle or if you buy the prohibitive apple care, they'll give you a new part.

btw, i have blown out the dust about a year ago when i installed a new drive, but i will try that.

KonaJobs.......... I like that :thumb:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's a lot easier to find out what your problem is if you use a multimeter to back probe the connections on your mother board. At least then you could tell where the general area of the problem is.

When you turn it on does the hard drive spin? Does the CPU fan turn on? Does it beep? Do nothing at all?

[edit] Nevermind, I see you have already answered these. Just like the power on switch (there is also a power good signal that must be made from your mother board to PSU for it to start..), another simple thing that could happen is some power supplies have a switch on the back. Try flicking it if yours has one. I know one of my old computers had this and I could not for the life of me figure out why the computer would not turn on it. It was almost like a built in breaker switch.

My hardware professor has taught us that its just easier to replace crap than it is to repair it.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so i took a closer look at the problem w/ the panels off the machine...looks like the power supply is at least getting some power to the unit, as the back network connection jack LED and MoBo LED light up when the PS is on.

pushing the main power button makes the front drive LEDs flash momentarily, but fans don't spin up.

off to get another machine...my tolerance for troubleshooting PC problems is pretty fvcking tiny.

i did manage to pull off the cooling fan to check out the CPU and all the heat transfer paste was caked and dry, and it looked like there was some dust that managed to get in there...maybe i could try re-seating the CPU and reapplying the paste to see if that helps.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i did manage to pull off the cooling fan to check out the CPU and all the heat transfer paste was caked and dry, and it looked like there was some dust that managed to get in there...maybe i could try re-seating the CPU and reapplying the paste to see if that helps.
If you want, you can ship the machine to me and I'll see if I can resurrect it. Consider it payment for photographic services. (pull the hard drive before it ships)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
so i took a closer look at the problem w/ the panels off the machine...looks like the power supply is at least getting some power to the unit, as the back network connection jack LED and MoBo LED light up when the PS is on.

pushing the main power button makes the front drive LEDs flash momentarily, but fans don't spin up.

off to get another machine...my tolerance for troubleshooting PC problems is pretty fvcking tiny.

Unplug everything from the motherboard with the exception of the switches, the power supply, the CPU and the CPU cooler, and the RAM. Does it POST?

If not, move the RAM to the other slots. Try it now?