Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know I'm way late, but members of the team I follow around have used the hillbilly with good success at Mt Snow and attitash. Snow is probably pretty close to Bromont. They seemed to really like the hill billy on the off camber face turns but weren't hindered on the granite slabs. I did hear a couple comments to the negative at attitash, which was very dry by the end of racing.

So, sounds to me like the hillbilly would be a decent all around tire for wetter or loamier climates. I'll stick with my butchers as they're good all around.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Anyone got any comments on the compound used in the new Michelin tyres? I think Maxxis are taking the piss with pricing now so I'm looking for a High Roller alternative, and the WildGripr Descent 2.5 seems like an obvious choice. It looks like from comments above that they use 55 duro compound, but how does that translate when riding, especially in wet mixed terrain?
I put a set of these on last night. I'll let you know how they work out.

I loved the DH 16's that I had before and these new ones don't seem any harder than the DH 16's. At least not to the touch.

The one thing I did notice is that the wildgripr went on the rim a lot easier than the old DH16's. The bead set easier too.

BTW the ones I got are made in Thailand. I think the old ones were made in France.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I put a set of these on last night. I'll let you know how they work out.

I loved the DH 16's that I had before and these new ones don't seem any harder than the DH 16's. At least not to the touch.

The one thing I did notice is that the wildgripr went on the rim a lot easier than the old DH16's. The bead set easier too.

BTW the ones I got are made in Thailand. I think the old ones were made in France.
Cheers for the input man, I actually just thought bugger it last week and bought a pair anyway, although I've not ridden them either, hopefully tomorrow.

I think the rubber is pretty soft as well, definitely not rock hard as mentioned above. I found they popped on the Mavic 721 I've got on the front fine, but the Sun MTX 29 on the back, ooft, utter whoor.

One thing I will say is that compared to a 2.5 Maxxis HR, the width difference is negligible, but the height of the carcass is noticeabley lower. Don't see it being a problem at decent pressures though.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
does anybody have any time on the Barons and Kaizers? I have been riding Minions all my life but am changing to conti but dont know which one to take. I mostly ride the Maribor bike park including the wc track, so not a lot of rocks but a lot of roots :D

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
der baron has a better shape, the kaiser is a little overly round IMO. the baron rides a little bit more like a minion than the kaiser as well. really really like the baron FWIW. great all around do everything well tread. jsut pump them up firm. the sidewalls are not that robust compared to maxxis.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Rode the WildGripr's on the weekend at Sunpeaks. They work great same as the old DH 16's. It poured rain on Saturday night so there was a few soggy and slick spots on the trails but they worked really well. They're definitely a good pick for intermediate conditions where you don't need a Wet Scream and a Minion isn't enough.

Everything you just wrote is wrong.:D
The 2.6 is the same size as the old comp 32. It always measured 2.6.
And the compound is the same as the old one as well.
The only all new tire Michelin is offering is the wildrock'r DH which comes with same compound as the rest of the DH tires.
The one change I heard that they made is on the old comp 16's...
Well, I had the both DH32 and new fancy name 2.6 mounted and ridden for quite some time. Also measured both with caliper and compared side-to-side on a same rim /ZTR Flow/, same pressures. The info from my previous post is first hand experience, not some hearsay:

Regarding the new Michelin Wild Grip'R Heavy Duty Descent 2.6. The newcomer has the same ERTRO (62-559) as the old DH32, but the tire is different

Smaller/narrower.
Less profile depth.
Smaller knobs.
Apparently different, harder compound too.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Here, read this.

It has a funny picture of brian lopes. (He's the champ)
Nice, agrees with my thoughts on 2.35 DTC single ply.

There are some situations where I find the BBG comes unglued, even in the dry. If I've got a steepish downhill with a slight off-camber and I hit the brakes, the rear will step out pretty easy because the side knobs aren't engaged. But it's still my favorite tire on a dry trail to rail corners.

How is it wearing in Stick-E? I thought it would fall apart considering how small the knobs are...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Out of interest, what's your source for saying that Michelins are 55a? All any of the Michelin sites I've seen say is "Super Soft" - I'd be curious to know the exact durometer, but not sure that I should believe the 55a quoted in this thread?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I've got a steepish downhill with a slight off-camber and I hit the brakes,
Stop doing that.

How is it wearing in Stick-E? I thought it would fall apart considering how small the knobs are...
I'm losing the little smaller knobs that are inside of the bigger sideknobs on the rear. The fronts are getting there.

What's kind of blown me away is how well the centerline knobs are (not) wearing. I don't know....they're soft compounds, they're wearing out. I do think kendas wear a little better than anything maxxis makes in softies. I just wish they had more good treads.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Just mounted up some Butcher 2.3s to replace my Minions and couldn't be happier. These things RAIL, and they roll super fast... the difference in rolling resistance vs Minions is really noticeable. Grip in corners seems at least a little better too. Rode them 1 day at Keystone and 1 day at Winter Park so far.

SX casing Butcher 2.3s are 1000g, but considering the low rolling resistance, I need some on my trail bike.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I agree I think the spec tyres edges provide more grip than maxxis. I've just thrown some hillbillys on (DH casing at 1200g) and they are awesome too. Insane levels of grip even in pretty sloppy conditions. Really very impressed with specialized rubber line up and is my goto brand now even over maxxis. Diddnt think I'd say that before!

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
Ah okay wouldn`t make sense if you would compare it with a normal Minion instead of the 3C ;-). Did you also change from 2.5 to 2.3 or were you running that size before? Asking because I`m also interested in the Butcher and running Minion F/F both in 3C so far.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What's the price difference of 3Cs and STs out in the US? In the UK 3Cs are prohibitively expensive and as far as I know barely anyone uses them.

£50 for a 3C in the uk, £39 for a ST. ($81/$63 respectively)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Just mounted up some Butcher 2.3s to replace my Minions and couldn't be happier. These things RAIL, and they roll super fast... the difference in rolling resistance vs Minions is really noticeable. Grip in corners seems at least a little better too. Rode them 1 day at Keystone and 1 day at Winter Park so far.

SX casing Butcher 2.3s are 1000g, but considering the low rolling resistance, I need some on my trail bike.
The Butchers I've fondled in person seem to have really soft shoulder knobs. Softer (and less stiff) than the Maxxis Super Tacky. Do your tires feel this way too?

It kind of worried me that they'd let loose in a hard corner...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Butchers I've fondled in person seem to have really soft shoulder knobs. Softer (and less stiff) than the Maxxis Super Tacky. Do your tires feel this way too?

I got about 5 runs in on a buddy's bike with some butchers. I'd honestly have had a hard time telling you they weren't minions DHFs if I hadn't looked down.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009

The sideknobs feel pretty similar to my 3c minion dhf... no need to worry about them letting loose because the knobs fold over.

It's pretty hard to judge them against the old worn-out minions I was running, but I do think they have a bit more grip in corners, and they also roll much faster than minions, so overall I like them better and msrp is nearly $20 less.

Another thing with the Butchers, they don't have as much of a "vague spot" between the center and sideknobs when leaning into a corner like the minions, they just grab and rail.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Some very hard to get tires came in the mail yesterday from Continental just in time for the 2011 US Nationals. The Mud Kings. Thought you guys would like a view at them. No reviews at this time, but will be sharing my experiences on all of Continental's tires this season soon.

Cecil:thumb:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Anybody have any real time on the geax neurons? A friend has them on his bike but we set up out bikes so differently I had a hard time getting a feel for them on the one run I made.

I run the normal dhf 3c front and rear

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
i have a question regarding the michelin WildGrip'r 2.50 ( C16 look alike)

running these for about 15 days in whistler right now tubeless setup works flawless with deemax ultimates and a tiny bit of stans sealant
overall i like them a lot, very predictable good grip only downside so far
the side knobs tend to "break away" at the bottom close to the actual tire on both front and rear...
and they start to feel "squirmy" in corners,

am i the only one having problems with that?

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I've run Kenda Nevegal in the past in a 2.35 and switched to Maxxis Minion dhf 3C's in a 2.5 which seemed to be the same in size.

Maxxis is said to be on the smaller size of their measurements, but does anyone know how they compare to the Butchers? Will a 2.5 Butcher be much bigger than the 2.5 Minion or should I drop down to 2.35 Butchers?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I've run Kenda Nevegal in the past in a 2.35 and switched to Maxxis Minion dhf 3C's in a 2.5 which seemed to be the same in size.

Maxxis is said to be on the smaller size of their measurements, but does anyone know how they compare to the Butchers? Will a 2.5 Butcher be much bigger than the 2.5 Minion or should I drop down to 2.35 Butchers?
2.3 Butchers are a hair smaller than 2.5 Minions... but REAL close to the same size, the 2.5 Butchers are a bit larger than 2.5 Minions.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
2.3 Butchers are a hair smaller than 2.5 Minions... but REAL close to the same size, the 2.5 Butchers are a bit larger than 2.5 Minions.
Yes.

And I will say that I "accidentally" bought the 2.5 Butcher, but ended up loving it as a front tire. I think the large channel between center and side knobs is part of the reason. I have never tried a 2.7 DHF, but would be interested in checking that out too after my experience with the Butcher.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes.

And I will say that I "accidentally" bought the 2.5 Butcher, but ended up loving it as a front tire. I think the large channel between center and side knobs is part of the reason. I have never tried a 2.7 DHF, but would be interested in checking that out too after my experience with the Butcher.
I just picked up a 2.5 butcher, and will try and mount in before the weekend. It will replace a 2.7 Minion DHF. I will measure both and post up results....

edited to add:
OK, so on my Mavic 721, my 2.7 DHF measured 56mm (2.2”) at the casing and 62mm (2.44”) at the knobs. The Butcher 2.5 measures in at 55.55mm (2.18”) at the casing and 61.5mm (2.42”) at the widest part of the knobs. All in all, pretty darn close.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Freeride fool, I have no time on the nueron but I picked up a set of Geax Datura and they are possibly the fastest rebounding rubber this side of an xc tyre. If i rode some really loamy soil they would be awesome, but on any hardpack or rock they were completely unpredictable. They were however the fastest rolling mud tyre I have ever ridden. I think you could make a pretty good assumption by twisting a block and seeing it how fast it comes back.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Freeride fool, I have no time on the nueron but I picked up a set of Geax Datura and they are possibly the fastest rebounding rubber this side of an xc tyre. If i rode some really loamy soil they would be awesome, but on any hardpack or rock they were completely unpredictable. They were however the fastest rolling mud tyre I have ever ridden. I think you could make a pretty good assumption by twisting a block and seeing it how fast it comes back.
I actually have datura's as my mud tire... Cause when i really need a mud tire im usually riding in straight slop so traction on rock and roots is at a minimum anyway. They do roll really fast for a mud tire.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Here's my tire question: Haven't gotten a chance to ride the Specialized Butchers, but I'm looking at replacing my Conti Der Baron's with some a little faster rolling and with a lighter duty casing. I'm looking at the Conti Baron, which is the 2.3 version with a slightly lighter casing, but I'm also eyeing the Butchers as I used to love my Minion DHFs (wore too fast/got too expensive) and my Specialized Clutch SXs. Do I go Conti Baron's on both ends, or should I go for the Specialized Butcher SX or Clutch SX? The whole point of this change is to get something lightweight and fast rolling while still keeping some sidewall integrity for support in corners.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
now that winter season is coming around, i'll be riding areas that can slightly muddy (i dont ride if it rained too hard the day or two prior), with slick rocks and roots.

originally on 2.4 big bettys...should i step up to muddy marys or excavators?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think I forgot to ask in the mail - were you at least paid for it? Also that means zero credit for you?

Any monkies have usefull contacts?