Quantcast

Commencal Meta 5.5 -- any good?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have any experience with this bike? I'm getting a deal on a pretty stock one from 2010 -- Fox RP2, Float RL -- for about $1600. Wondering if I'm over-paying on this thing. Thanks!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I hated mine. Tall for no reason, and I'm 6'3. Wasnt' a fan of how it rode either, always felt like it was pushing me over the bars, and very much an "on top instead of inside" kind of bike.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
sorry semi grave dig.

opposite experience, i love mine.
I'm 6'2" and My XL has a static 67.5 deg degree HA but I run mine with 30% sag, so it slackens out a touch and has a low BB. i sometimes put a 190 x 50 coil shock in it instead of the 200 x 50 to get the BB really low, too low for general riding, good for mini dh though.
Good plush ride, despite the linkage making the rear suspension more progressive it's still a single pivot though and rides like one.
i had my shock valved for my weight and went to a bigger air can with a fox air shim, so it rides a little differently from when it was a stock shock.
Overall Good AM bike, not a great climber on long fire trails as mines heavy and the seat tube is slacker than others so you tend to get more of a rear weight bias, great descender, the rear swing arm does flex more than other bikes i've owned, but i'd don't notice it unless i ride my old bike.
2010's seem to be more robust than the '09's, which have had alot of frame failures according to various forums.
Price?, seems o.k, i guess compare it to other bikes- reigns,remedy's etc etc.

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had a Meta6 for 3 years, the slightly burlier cousin, and had mixed feelings about it. Climbing it was sub par; but once I started descending I was all smiles. It depends how much climbing you plan to do with it. I typically ride 1,000 to 2,000 vert trails so I switched this year to a Stump Jumper. The Meta was a bit better one the downs, but the Stumpy is far better on the up so overall I am happy with my switch.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I got one (Meta 5.5) when they were blowing them out on Hucknroll a few months ago. Couldnt' resist as I needed "a frame" to hold me over and nabbed it at $539 with free shipping (had a $60.00 off coupon..) Frame, headset and Thomson post! Cheaper than most used frames that I was looking at buying.
Anyway.... not trying to jack the thread...
Just got it together and haven't been out on it yet.

As mentioned, two things that I have noticed since getting it together the other day.... I'm a short rider. The tallness thing was the first thing that had me turned off and it is pretty heavy. Want to get out on it and see if it grows on me.

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Bumping to see if anyone has ever tried running offset shock bushings on one? Knew heading into buying the frame that the geometry wasn't quite what I was looking for. Looking to hopefully slacken the HA by about a degree and lower the BB some. I ordered the hardware from the ebay supplier in Poland. It arrived and looks to be great quality. Haven't had the chance to throw it on yet.