Quantcast

Changing a wheel from a bolt to quick release?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Is this an easy conversion? The bike I bought recently came with Mavic Deetrax wheels. The front wheel is quick release, but the rear wheel is a bolt. Is it easy (or possible) to change the rear wheel from a bolt to a quick release? I'd like to not have to carry a wrench with me when I ride.

Ridemonkey search wasn't too helpful...

:homer:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
IAB - in addition that 12mm bolt on axle more than likely helps to stiffen up the rear end on your bike, so I'd leave it as is and get a Jethro Tule

I'll trade you for that Syncros seatpost as a matter of fact. ;)

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Well if the rear wheel is a 12mm through axle, your frame probably isn't made for QR. If it's a 10mm bolt on, then just call up Mavic and order a conversion axle kit (not the one for the DeeMax from Jenson, I dont think the DeeTrak and DeeMax have the same axle kit). MMcG is right though, switching to QR will definatley make your rear end flexier.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
If it's not a 12mm thru axle then DT makes their RWS system with a 10mm aluminum axle that would give you the stiffness and the QR and you wouldn't have to convert the hub.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
IAB - get a Surly Jethro Tule - it'll remove your rear wheel and pop open a beer for you all in one!
If you are offering to buy me beer, I accept.

Mavic will be at Pedro's Festival this weekend. I'll just bring my wheel to them and have 'em take a look at it.

BTW, my front wheel is not a QR. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. :rolleyes: It's a thru axle with a 36 Vanilla.