Quantcast

Cedric Gracia 2006???

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This damn forum needs some pro rider/race talk...growing tired of the which Kona Stinky Stab to buy talk.

Anyways, I got the new DIRT and there is a really cool interview with Gracia with some great pics. I have always had good times watching Cedric ride, hanging with him, seeing him put a good run together, etc...he is probably one of the most gifted bike riders on the circuit but to me has always been plagued by business problems (cannondale clusterfu@ks), getting caught up in being cool "I have 5 houses, a hummer...." etc....

Do you all think with Cedric's new Commencal deal and little bit more grounded life he will achieve results his mind and body are capable of (ala a championship)? Or will he just continue to have a good time, scoring a podium every now and then, scoring chicks, having fun? I really think and hope he will have his best season in years.

Debate and Discuss-Stik haters can stay out of this, just looking to discuss Cedrics upcoming 2006 season.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think it was Tomac who once said that Cedric would be damn dangerous if "he was ever serious."

The commencal deal I think will ground him a bit. That guy is just amazing, watching him ride really is a treat. I can't think of anyone that just looks so comfortable, and like they are having so much fun. He is hands down my favorite rider out there, along with Simmons and Rennie.

To me, it always seemed like Cannondale was in the DH game simply because it made financial sense. They never struck me as a company that really understood what the DH and 4x scene was all about. Look at what they did to poor lopes, effectively ruining his DH career.

You know that Commencal is in it for the love. Thier history, and thier bikes, scream race.

Personally I can't wait to see what he can do on that bike. The Dropmachine team is really excited to be on the bikes too, as it means we get to poach pit space at MT St Anne with them, and Crankworx too! Hanign with those guys and picking thier brains...man thats gonna be just killer.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
He will always have his Play Boy attitude. He is very gifted when it comes to riding. Back when he raced for Sunn he was probly the most grounded I have every remembered him being. Cannodale always let him be free " much like Shawn Palmer was". Now that he has a new ride things may change. You never know with him, that is why everyone likes him so much.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
no stick hatin here man.

wouldn't it be great to see him on top of podium after podium.
our sport needs guys like him. talent + personality.
not just another racerboy clone.

we'll see.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yeah really good interview, shows a lot about Gracia that a lot of people probably didnt know. And then some things everyone knew...
I think Max can motivate him enough to stay away from being a drunkass playboy. I think he has the capability and attitude to do it but its gonna be really hard (maybee a little too hard) to beat a guy like Hill, Peat or Minnaar.
But who knows, with a team like Commencal I think things will be on a whole other level then with Cannondale.
Should be an interesting season once again.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That article in Dirt was awesome. I have a whole new view of the guy now......his brain is definitely all over the map. Seems to have a serious case of ADD,has all kinds of thoughts in head. Most of them seem pretty well thought out when he goes to execute them and others just sound like day dreaming......almost babbling. Like the apartment building with 12 units each one representing a different country.....not sure that the smartest way to spend real estate money. Sounds more like a giant piece of art......

Anyway, i wish they would have shown some of the furniture he made and his artwork....that would show some of his other talents, show how his head really works...

I think the results are going to bear out this year what a hunk of junk he was riding the last few years.......i thinking he will do better and others on the bike are going to be struggle-city.

Also liked the Vanessa Quin interview........she was honest as hell.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Some of Cedric's comments on his Website led me to believe that he was kind of burned out with Cannondale. He was with Cannondale a long time, and I'm sure he needed a change. I think he will be a bit more motivated this season to get some race results; I predict more podiums for Cedric this season, as well.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You see burnt out, I see fed up.

Sounds like CDale told him what he was going to ride, rather then asking for his input. Just what I got from it anyways.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
He is probably my favorite pro to watch and he is a threat in any gravity race. He consistently stands out from the pack and gets himself and his sponsors good coverage in the media even when he doesn't win. But will he be as popular or get as much media coverage if he cleans up his act and starts acting seriously, yet doesn't score lots of wins?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think Stik could do much better then me.

Basically as I know it, Lopes was (and still is) a freakin pinner on the course, and was top 5 back in the mongoose days. He goes over to Cannondale, and boom, all of a sudden top 50. Most of it had to do with Cannondale being themselves, and forcing him to ride these terrible tanks with ridiculous crap going on all over the place. Bsically, they took him off a winning bike (M1) and stuck him on stuff that would fail constantly, didnt work right, and was all impossible to run.

So, he decided to ride 4x exclusively, probably figuring that its pretty hard to **** up a hardtail (but they tried) and that he'd be fine.

As far as I know, thats the story. As I said, Stik can lay in the real deal.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I remember when Missy G was on a Crack-N-Dale. I remember her in the pits yelling at her manager over how bad their old DH fork was "F"ing up way to much and she wanted to ride on a Boxxer.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cannondale was just full of empty promises-plain and simple. Jeff explains it pretty well with Lopes and Cdale, some people argue Lopes should have overcome the Cdale drama-well that was kind of hard when Cdale management would not even let him sign up for DH races and said "you are finished racing DH, go win us a dual title".

But back on subject...

I think another CG factor is that Girard is running the program there and he will be able to find a nice balance between 'party Cedric' and 'serious Cedric'. Girard coached my wife her last 2 seasons and he has an ability to create desire in a rider as well as get you fit.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
dropmachine.com said:
...forcing him to ride these terrible tanks with ridiculous crap going on all over the place.
speaking of which (random segway), there was one of these on ebay recently (what DO those extra chains do? the chain still looks like it runs off the standard right hand chanring):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7225538735

and back on track: lopes' recent win at the crankworx dh (beating peat, rennie, kovarik, etc) suggests he's still got the skills to be a dh contender.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Cedric is always entertaining and fast. He is in a similar situation as Travis Pastrana in being as much of an entertainer as a racer. Love to watch him race. And yes, I think Cedric is always trying 110% even if it does look like he is screwing off.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
stiksandstones said:
I think another CG factor is that Girard is running the program there and he will be able to find a nice balance between 'party Cedric' and 'serious Cedric'. Girard coached my wife her last 2 seasons and he has an ability to create desire in a rider as well as get you fit.
I think this is the most importanted part of his "NEW" career direction, Girard is running a top notch program with AC, Cedric and Saladini.

Cedric has hit the gym all winter, put on some muscle and lookin forward to "Racing" to win, he is not going to have to worry about his mechanics (yes he's hard to work with and didn't get along with some of the c-dales boys) and having proper parts in stock at races (yes I was in the booth beside him 2 yrs ago at MSA when he crached his swingarm and they didn't have any with them, they had to drive into Quebec City and take one of a dealers bike, which meant his day of trainging was done)and most importantly he is going to have a bike under him which "WANTS" his input, he lives 20 minutes down the road from Commencal's HQ in Andorra so you can't tell me he won't be over there all the time with revisions and ideas.
Commencal didn't sign a 5 yr program with him for his antics, Racing and Performance is the #1 driving force behind Commencal bikes and they will use his input to continue that direction.
Max has been working with Cedric since his BMX days when he was 11yr old, so he and Girard will make sure racing is priority one.

(but hey after all that it doesn't hurt either that he's quite the character)

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
As much as I would like to see a champ. season,I don't think changing teams will do the trick , but I hope I am wrong... he puts it on the line when he rides.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
stiksandstones said:
But back on subject...

exactly... if/when Girard finds the optimal balance between "party" & "serious" Cedric.... he'll be on fire! it'll definately be hard, there's a lot of serious competition out there -- Minnaar, Peaty, Hill, etc. but i think if he get's to his "true" form...he'll be mixing it up w/ all of them (including a ton of wins).

I've had a ton of discussions w/ him recently trying to key in on what his plans are for this season (as well as the future) in terms of racing , what he things of his new team, & other plans he has. Mainly i've been talking to him since I've just started to work with him (as well as a few other racers) this year as an "agent" for sponsorship outside of the mtb industry.

I firmly believe he will have a "breakout" season in either '06 or '07. He's really digging his bikes & honestly can't stop talking about them. if you ask him about one thing on his frame, he'll talk about every single detail of the bike. From previous discussions w/ him while he was on C-dale... he's been rather professional (to me at least) about talking about the bikes. His likes & dislikes...but he's mentioned disadvantages he's had w/ the dh bike & his style of riding...& why he's not beating guys like Peaty, Fabien, Minnaar, etc.. I think that now he's on a bike he truly can "be one with"...he'll be tearing it up again.

I know he won't ever give up his "party" cedric lifestyle...& i for one am glad he doesn't...as he is one of the few personalities this sport actually has...& therefore is extremely marketable. but i definatly think we'll be seeing him back in the mix for top podium!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
that cannondale on ebay is fake. there was only 2 or 3 of those and cannondale has them. i also miss the dual shock one too.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
DylanDeanDesign said:
From previous discussions w/ him while he was on C-dale... he's been rather professional (to me at least) about talking about the bikes. His likes & dislikes...but he's mentioned disadvantages he's had w/ the dh bike & his style of riding...& why he's not beating guys like Peaty, Fabien, Minnaar, etc.. I think that now he's on a bike he truly can "be one with"...he'll be tearing it up again.
I wonder how much of the "Gracia" he actually designed. was it a bike he actually had a big part in or just a bike they built and slapped his name on it? Also what kind of disadvatages did the bike have to his riding style....?

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I always think of the first time I saw Cedric race. I think it was the '95 WC at Ste Anne. We were all at the chalet at the top in line for practice runs and I look up and there is Cedric (still a Junior) coming down 3 flights of wet stairs while doing a one handed no footed manual Then in the race he blew his rear tire and still styled it up huge over a rock double and the rear wheel exploded on the landing near the end of the course. Couldn't believe how rad that dude was....and he was what...17 back then (sidebar: then he was piss drunk, half naked dancing on top of the pop machine outside the bar that night)? I think that with some new focus, fresh bike and with Max and Stephan in the mix, he will be podium hunting more.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
stiksandstones said:
Was not as honest as she could have been, but that's getting personal, so I will leave it at that.

I'm intrigued by that comment Stik, it is not like you to say so much and so little at the same time! Please enlighten me? I think VQ was very honest in her article, but hey lets not get personal here!!!:rolleyes:

Go on...go mad tell us what you really think of the 2004 World Champ?

These boards need some Draaaaaaama.

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
yeah an interesting interview (but also some stupid answers in it -> startgate training,....)

in 4X one of the most stylish riders has no longer a stupid looking bike ;) the meta4x looks great.....i think he will be stronger than ever in 4x this year (DH will be more difficult)