Quantcast

cannondale prophet

I tMt I

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
So right now im riding an 08 cannondale prophet its all stock. Its mostly geared towards cross country right now. But i was wondering if its possible to build it up with a bigger fork and beefier parts and turn it into an all mountain free ride bike, and even do the occasional downhill mountain. Ive really just been riding it for cross country, but i want to get back into free-ride and downhill with out buying a new bike if possible.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I suppose you can.

Mill the headtube to take a 1.5 headset, slap on a 160mm single crown fork, replace the shock with a coil.

The Prophet didn't come with ISCG holes, so no real chain guide thoguh.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
sure... this is what happened to my moto after 3 months of use with a "bigger fork" and "beefed up" components.

broke on a wallride. it was my very first mountain bike, and it lasted 3 months .. i didn't know the whole terminology of bikes and thought "all mountain" was a literal term. no warranty - i bought it 2nd hand off a doctor who rode it maybe 2 times on pavement.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I suppose you can.

Mill the headtube to take a 1.5 headset, slap on a 160mm single crown fork, replace the shock with a coil.

The Prophet didn't come with ISCG holes, so no real chain guide thoguh.
There was a regular and MX version which had tabs and 12mm axle, rest of the tubeset is identical to the regular.

2008 JrX Plattekill champ raced one all season (and for a few years before) with coil shock and 160mm fork before he got a 8" travel rig.

dhmatt

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
New Hampshire
I set my old one up with a coil and a chain guide and it worked great. I even kept the lefty on there you would be surprised at how much abuse the lefty can take. I am not sure what wheelset you are using but you may be able to get a rear axle to work on there. I know the Outlaws have a step-down axle available for there wheelsets.
I used mine for "all-mountain" mostly but, I did use it for DH days as well from time to time.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
There's no need to mill the headtube, it already will accept a 1.5 headset.

The mx version is beefier, but I've been rocking the regular for a while now with no issues for the frame.

It currently has a 36 float at 160mm on it and works pretty well although I feel like I'm pushing my luck with how old it is now. Gonna retire the frame this year. Here's a shot of a buddy of mine borrowing it:

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I just had a mint 2005 Prophit frame! I built it up & rode it 1x.It was too small for me but i was going to use it for trail ripping & 4x.It's a fairy lightweight frameset so i wouldn't push it too hard.Although it looked extremely well designed & would probably handle alot more than you think.
I have a NEW Manitiou Swinger 4way coil (in classifieds) that will go right in the Prophit.I had bought right away for the Prophit i had built up,but never got to use it.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Wife has a prophet she used as her first lift serve bike. Worked well for the Season, until she went to a DH camp and rode a full on DH racebike, so she brought it home.

It's for sale if anyone wants a nice XS small prophet for a dh starter bike for their significant other or 5'1' grom

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hey ustemuf, I was thinking of replacing my 160 mm fork on the moto with a 180mm one but I'm not sure about it after seeing your pic. What was your setup?
from what I've heard from people and read online, that might not be such a good idea. They seem to crack easy.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
I am not too sure that a coil would work so well with the regressive shock rate of the prophet.. It would just blow through the last part of the travel unless you have a super progessive shock setup.

Uncanoonuc

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
NH
I tried that too. Put on a 160mm fork, chainguide and a 2.25 coil shock and to be honest it was pretty mediocre. Really it's an xc bike and it's OK for that. You can build it up and use it for DH but it's not going to feel like a bike designed for DH. Get rid of the QR in the rear too that'll stiffen it a bit, but I'd just bite the bullet and get a bike designed for what you want to do...

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Wife has a prophet she used as her first lift serve bike. Worked well for the Season, until she went to a DH camp and rode a full on DH racebike, so she brought it home.

It's for sale if anyone wants a nice XS small prophet for a dh starter bike for their significant other or 5'1' grom
Would said Prophet still be for sale? Frame only possibly?