Quantcast

Canfield Crampons: Standard vs Ultimates...anyone tried both?

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some Crampons...but now there are is another variable in the mix...the new Ultimate model. They are a little more $$, but don't have the exposed shaft, or spindle.

Anyone used both and prefer one over the other??

Thanks!

jmartin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2005
Been riding the regular model for about 2 years now and love them. Might try the new ones when these are finished but that may take awhile,,, that's a good thing ;)

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
i have ridden both and just bought two sets of the ultimates. I prefer them for all the obvious reasons

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
The biggest difference between the two is the exposed spindle. Since the launch of our Crampons a few years ago we have wanted to produce a more "traditional" looking pedal, while still maintaining the our super low profile. The Ultimate's have upgraded seals to keep the crud out from the bushings and spindle and are about 53 grams lighter, (342 with Pins). Sizing and rock deflection are pretty much the same between the two. With the launch of the Ultimate's, we have reduced the Crampon price to $120 to ensure they are still a strong part of our line.
CramponGroupUltimate3.jpg
Ultimates on scale.jpg

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is there any chance you will make them in Green? It may be a season with very little dh riding for me but it also means I will have some spare cash and I want something to replace my twenty6's but for some crazy reason green is a forbidden color among parts mfg's.

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Is there any chance you will make them in Green? It may be a season with very little dh riding for me but it also means I will have some spare cash and I want something to replace my twenty6's but for some crazy reason green is a forbidden color among parts mfg's.
HAHAHAHAHA... there MIGHT be green Ultimates in the near future! We actually had a fair amount of requests for them!!!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm not surprised - many frames are green or with green motives yet only a handful components go in green yet a lot of them come in purple.