Quantcast

BV's hometown overrun by squash thugs

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Some where in NH a father is realizing that his son merely attending Keene State was, in fact, not 'rock bottom'.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah... lovely.

The thing that frustrates me about the whole event is that there was really no connection to the Pumpkin Fest, despite headlines to the contrary. Virtually nobody even knew it was happening since it was well away from the actual festivities. Yet now this nice community event might go away completely because a bunch of assholes decide to flip cars and throw stuff at cops.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah... lovely.

The thing that frustrates me about the whole event is that there was really no connection to the Pumpkin Fest, despite headlines to the contrary. Virtually nobody even knew it was happening since it was well away from the actual festivities. Yet now this nice community event might go away completely because a bunch of assholes decide to flip cars and throw stuff at cops.
What does Pumpkin Fest mean to you? Clearly I am missing something.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What does Pumpkin Fest mean to you? Clearly I am missing something.
Well, I don't live there anymore but it was a really great community event that I went to for years. It brings a lot of money into the community and is an interesting, quirky little record that the city has been proud of.

As much as anything, I think this event is an example of two pet peeves. One is terrible journalism that values a catchy headline over real reporting - the event and the riots were only connected in that they happened in the same night, and most of the reports seem to suggest that the 'fest devolved into SWAT teams and pepper spray. The other is entitled douchebags - a bunch of idiots in a middle class city going to college who basically have nothing in their life to complain about and they go incite a riot because they're bored.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Well, I don't live there anymore but it was a really great community event that I went to for years. It brings a lot of money into the community and is an interesting, quirky little record that the city has been proud of.

As much as anything, I think this event is an example of two pet peeves. One is terrible journalism that values a catchy headline over real reporting - the event and the riots were only connected in that they happened in the same night, and most of the reports seem to suggest that the 'fest devolved into SWAT teams and pepper spray. The other is entitled douchebags - a bunch of idiots in a middle class city going to college who basically have nothing in their life to complain about and they go incite a riot because they're bored.
Massholes and cheap taxes and that don't tread on me pickem up truck mentality. Keene is fairly weathly. Nobody poor owns property there....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i saw danzig and metallica play in a field somewhere near there in the summer of '94-ish. glenn was fat and angry; metallica was in a post-"black" album identity crisis (from which it never recovered). Still fun. No cars were flipped. end /coolstorybro

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Having lived in Keene for 23 years, I assure you that "poor" people do own property there. While property taxes there are quite steep, it actually is not even in the top half of the most affluent communities in the state. If there was a list for communities with the most hometown spirit, however, I assure you Keene would near the top of the list.

Pumpkin Festival was started by a family friend in 1991 as the Harvest Festival - nothing to do with pumpkins, in fact. It was a chance for friends and family to gather together in one place, and celebrate one of New England's most beautiful seasons. Kids dressed in costume and trick-or-treated at all the local businesses on Main Street; local artists and performers showcased their talents, and wonderful autumn treats abounded. It started shortly thereafter as just a fun little thing to bring a jack-o-lantern, and grew into a world record attempt. In fact, the world record didn't even have particularly stringent regulations until last year.

It's really a disappointment for everyone in the community that it was overshadowed by the thoughtless, drunk antics of college morons this year (again, away from the actual festival), as it is really a wonderful celebration for the community. As BV said, it is fantastic for local businesses, who are not all wealthy merchants, and who don't see throngs of tourists otherwise. The 'fest creator has been a pillar of the community for over 20 years, and I do believe she started a truly special tradition for the small city. A large annual festival that brings so much joy to the families and that has put the town on the map is something worth celebrating. I hope they can continue to create pumpkin-filled memories for years to come.

Sincerely,
The [gourd-loving] skin suit

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Having lived in Keene for 23 years, I assure you that "poor" people do own property there. While property taxes there are quite steep, it actually is not even in the top half of the most affluent communities in the state. If there was a list for communities with the most hometown spirit, however, I assure you Keene would near the top of the list.

Pumpkin Festival was started by a family friend in 1991 as the Harvest Festival - nothing to do with pumpkins, in fact. It was a chance for friends and family to gather together in one place, and celebrate one of New England's most beautiful seasons. Kids dressed in costume and trick-or-treated at all the local businesses on Main Street; local artists and performers showcased their talents, and wonderful autumn treats abounded. It started shortly thereafter as just a fun little thing to bring a jack-o-lantern, and grew into a world record attempt. In fact, the world record didn't even have particularly stringent regulations until last year.

It's really a disappointment for everyone in the community that it was overshadowed by the thoughtless, drunk antics of college morons this year (again, away from the actual festival), as it is really a wonderful celebration for the community. As BV said, it is fantastic for local businesses, who are not all wealthy merchants, and who don't see throngs of tourists otherwise. The 'fest creator has been a pillar of the community for over 20 years, and I do believe she started a truly special tradition for the small city. A large annual festival that brings so much joy to the families and that has put the town on the map is something worth celebrating. I hope they can continue to create pumpkin-filled memories for years to come.

Sincerely,
The [gourd-loving] skin suit
My friends from Rindge say that during pledge week everyone invites their friends up from home to party at school. It just so happened that week fell on Pumpkin Fest. Keene like Hanover and Rindge are wonderful towns. No slight intended.....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Aw man. I went to Pumpkin Fest once and it was pretty cool. It's a shame to see people tarnish its name with such unrelated shenanigans.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i was gonna say, when i first saw the headlines i thought "da fuq kind of harvest festival is this?" i mean, i can see rioting after a guns n' roses show (when axl beats everyone to the all you can eat buffet and leaves nothing behind), but squash?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man, white people.

what is it about new englanders that makes them love rioting so much? Hey, the PAHTS won the super bowl, let's flip a car! Hey the red sox lost the super cup, le'ts FLIP A CAR

edit maybe it's the traffic.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This couldn't be a complete shocker as CNN reported that 140 arrests were made last year. I never understood the 'lets fuck up others peoples shit' mentality, especially among those who don't have much to gripe about.

Sounds like a similar issue to what ruined/ended the Boulder Mall Crawl. That went from a quaint event of people dressed in costume while tripping balls to a magnet for rednecks and gang bangers looking to beat on hippies and get loaded. Eventually it just ended when the cost of enforcement outweighed the benefits.