Quantcast

Buying a bike from Canada to the US-duty taxes

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Does anyone know the approximate duty tax charged when having a bike bought from Canada and shipped to the US? I've googled it and found a few calculators that'll give you an estimate based on what your buying, what it's worth and where it was made. It was well over $300 by that estimate. I was just wondering if anyone's done this and what the actual duty cost was. I'm only 3 1/2 hours from where I'm buying the bike from, so driving up to pick it up is an option, but I'm guessing I'll have to declare it at the border crossing and pay anyway? It was suggested I throw some dirt on it and say I was up riding Bromont for the day. Which I'd love to actually do if I had the time.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Get it dirty in bromont, leave lift pass zip tied to bike, have car full of sweaty gear, profit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you able to go the used gifted route? Don't know if you can still low ball the reported value...

Why buy a bike from up here anyways? Everything is so much more expensive :/

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I don't get it, you're going to spend 7+ hours out of your day to go pick up a bike, but you can't spend an extra few hours to get it dirty? At least show up to Bromont to buy a lift ticket and attach it on your bike! If you can't go all the way to Bromont, you can maybe throw it around some dirt and just tell the big bad 'Murican border guard that you rode on free trails.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I don't get it, you're going to spend 7+ hours out of your day to go pick up a bike, but you can't spend an extra few hours to get it dirty? At least show up to Bromont to buy a lift ticket and attach it on your bike! If you can't go all the way to Bromont, you can maybe throw it around some dirt and just tell the big bad 'Murican border guard that you rode on free trails.
TRUST ME, I'd love to be able to hit Bromont when I'm there. The only day I can get free to drive up, I just won't have the time to go there. I'll just have to rub some Canadian dirt on it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
TRUST ME, I'd love to be able to hit Bromont when I'm there. The only day I can get free to drive up, I just won't have the time to go there. I'll just have to rub some Canadian dirt on it.
Where are you headed? If you go pick up a bike, turn right around and come back w/o spending some time and say you have nothing to claim, they'll want to know what you went up there for... especially if you're under 30.
Saying "i went up to bike at bromont" is much more easily understood.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
^
Dump is right. If you have a lift ticket, you'll be solid. I'm sure you know how a PITA it is dealing with US customs. I actually feel nervous when going through even though there's nothing for me to feel nervous about!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
^
Dump is right. If you have a lift ticket, you'll be solid. I'm sure you know how a PITA it is dealing with US customs. I actually feel nervous when going through even though there's nothing for me to feel nervous about!
Coming back from Whistler last year my buddy couldn't find his passport or ID as we were getting to the border. Luckily I had mine, they just let us go. I guess I'm legit looking enough. Going into Canada though we got the third degree. Searched the whole van. "Hey there are only two of you, why do you have 6 bikes". But yeah, you'll be fine. I think the Canadian's are more worried about you bringing in bikes to sell than the other way around.

Last edited:

kawasakidj

Chimp
Apr 23, 2014
Fresno, California
I'm not sure what I did or how the situation is different but I just bought a Norco 29er from Canada for 1900 USD through PayPal and had it shipped for 100 bucks. Didn't have to pay any type of fee? Was from a legit bike shop not private seller.

Last edited: