Quantcast

Bullshit or Innovation?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Since H2O is one of the most common molecular element structures, these will only become hyper-über-whore bath expensive demanding the most pure of metals. Plus any contamination entering the system will likely swell and clog the circuit, as opposed to oil being able to isolate any loose sediment.
One DH run (as they claim) to test boiling-points does little to sway me.
And some brake manufacturers will market bottles of "bake specific h2o" for $16 and a proprietary bleed tool for another $45.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
My local source for brake springs...I think the glycol is already included...:wacko:

These spring water will be much more special-er. "Bottled by scantily clad Iguanas, having crashed their Italian-jobbie spacecraft in 1866 after sicking-up Rootbeer on the C-Deck!"

...that last part an attempt at showing humor, but I'll stick with my last model HOPE brakes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Asparagus water filled brakes is still a better concept than this Padlock grip bullshit.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Water has an affinity for absorbing gas and by increasing the pressure of water you increase that affinity. Just go to any water faucet and pour yourself a class of water and let it sit overnight. It'll be full of gas bubbles in little time.

Also, a common method for degassing water is by running it through a silicone coil within a vacuum chamber since the tubing is gas permeable. Seems to me that by introducing water into a pressurized system, you're at risk of doing the complete opposite of that.

I'd be happy to be proven otherwise, but my gut is telling me that they should shelve this before sinking much more development time.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Water has an affinity for absorbing gas and by increasing the pressure of water you increase that affinity. Just go to any water faucet and pour yourself a class of water and let it sit overnight. It'll be full of gas bubbles in little time.

Also, a common method for degassing water is by running it through a silicone coil within a vacuum chamber since the tubing is gas permeable. Seems to me that by introducing water into a pressurized system, you're at risk of doing the complete opposite of that.

I'd be happy to be proven otherwise, but my gut is telling me that they should shelve this before sinking much more development time.
These brakes were invented by a 21 YO guy, if I recall correctly. He has been showing them around in EB and IB for some years now. They previously used mineral oil, and the reviews they got were much less than stellar (see PB and MTBR for examples). I guess he's still stirring the pot to see if he can milk that old cow a bit more by changing to a water-based system.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Well, just because it's been their approach for a decade doesn't mean it works. Do you know anybody that runs WTB tires? Me neither.
I've been loving their Breakout tire and I've seen a lot of other WTB tires on the enduro circuit this year. Their Tough Casing hits a perfect balance between weight and durability. I can run much lower pressures than with Maxxis Exo. That alone could be where the improved grip comes from but I'm also impressed with how fast the Breakout rolls.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Water wetter is also a bubble less soap. Breaks the surface tension so the water touches stuff more and transfers heat better. I used it in every radiator.