Quantcast

Bullshit or Innovation?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
New bar/grip 'standard'; Padlock
Bars from SRAM, Grips from WTB, saw guide by Park so you can fuck up your own bars.

Having had my ODI lock-ons slip 0 times regardless of conditions, I personally see no need for this.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i can easily say ive never had an ODI grip slip even with a bunch of dirt under the grip itself and even when ive crashed. how those small dudes managed to get grips to slip is very curious. and $230 for the carbon bar? ouch.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe those guys are scared to crank down their grips on carbon bars?

I've never had ODIs slip either.

Someone should come up with a system to prevent unwanted seatpost rotation. That also never happens.

But it might!

I bet you can get thinner grips with this setup than with the plastic core ODIs. Maybe that's the real impetus.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't like lock-ons as I prefer thinner grips and gripshifters due to a fucked up thumb joint. However, evo silicone grips have solved any of my grip rotation issues.

I don't really see sharpening the ends of your bars as a very good idea.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I call bullshit:

“Both Jerome and I have had our locking grips completely slip on us when we need them most,” explains Moeschler. “We’re not big riders, which is the strange part. If it’s happening to us, it’s happening to others too. I’ve had serious crashes from twisting a grip, it was obvious we needed to change the way grips fit on bars so we developed the PadLoc system.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/24/new-wtb-padlloc-grips-handlebar-standard-keeps-your-grip-from-slipping-or-rotating/#more-108678

Anecdotal problems (if they even existed at all) is not a reason to extrapolate to the entire ODI grip group.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't like lock-ons as I prefer thinner grips and gripshifters due to a fucked up thumb joint. However, evo silicone grips have solved any of my grip rotation issues.
wow, someone else who also uses gripshift still? the ODI Ruffians arent thin enough for you to use comfortably?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
wow, someone else who also uses gripshift still? the ODI Ruffians arent thin enough for you to use comfortably?
A bad bout of psoriatic arthritis pretty much ruined the last joint in my right thumb and I am relegated to gripshift.

Moreso the hard aluminum clamp where I put my hand.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know there are people that don't like having the aluminum ODI ring under the outside of the grip, so I guess this is maybe for them? It's never bothered me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i'm surprised the 'problem' of aligning short stems with the front wheel hasn't already given us a keyed steerer tube/stem 'solution'.
I just mark the steerer to show the split in the back of the stem once I'm happy with the alignment, Makes it way easier to get right next time.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I switched over to ESI foam grips this year from lifetime of ODI Ruffian or Rouge grips. Now that my controls are all removable without pulling off grips the lock on isn't needed, and the ESI grips are MUCH more comfortable for me. I think there is zero chance of them slipping.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
“Both Jerome and I have had our locking grips completely slip on us when we need them most,” explains Moeschler. “We’re not big riders, which is the strange part. If it’s happening to us, it’s happening to others too. I’ve had serious crashes from twisting a grip, it was obvious we needed to change the way grips fit on bars so we developed the PadLoc system.”

Sounds more like a problem with bar/grip tolerances. I have never had a ODI or Specialized lock on grip slip in 15 years of using them on carbon and alloy bars.
Disappointing for WTB to be creating a solution for which there is no problem....plenty of others have that business model on lock down.

Weird Euro show so far with the $20 steel X Sync ring from SRAM, and $35 grips from WTB that require a new handlebar "standard"....seems like companies are switching roles!

SRAM gets cheap and sensible, WTB creates useless new standards.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
SRAM gets cheap and sensible, WTB creates useless new standards.
WTB worked with Sram on their new standard, so that explains that.

Ad me to the list of people who have never even heard of a properly installed locking grip slipping. Cut a chunk off my Enve bars just to ry a new grip and be dedicated to said grip for the rest of my days? Nope, not gunna do it.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i wonder if they actually tightened them once they put them on. the way SRAM thinks now a days, you never know. :busted:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you have to ask it's probably bullshit

Though I know one non bike related product where some people have trouble with slipping. Will the saw off kit work with the "bar" there?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ODI grip slip? Nope, not once in 13 years.

Solving a problem that doesn't exist.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Never had a problem with ODIs, but the last time I bought grips I got the Easton lock-ons and I prefer the grip compound's longevity (elastomeric polyurethane vs Kraton), clamping safety on carbon, and it's available in 30 and 33mm. They don't have a hundred different patterns to pick from but the thickness options are more important IMHO:

http://eastoncycling.com/product/lock-on-grips-2/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I punched a couple trees with my 800mm bars and WTB grips and they didn't rotate. Not sure what kind of torqu these guys are putting into their bars but it's got to be way more than clipping a tree at 20mph can do if they're getting their grips to slip...

this product reminds me of the screw-on odi bar extenders that nobody bought.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Never had a problem with ODIs, but the last time I bought grips I got the Easton lock-ons and I prefer the grip compound's longevity (elastomeric polyurethane vs Kraton), clamping safety on carbon, and it's available in 30 and 33mm. They don't have a hundred different patterns to pick from but the thickness options are more important IMHO:

http://eastoncycling.com/product/lock-on-grips-2/

How "grippy" are those Easton ones? I'm using Odi X-Trainers for 3 years now simply because they provide excellent grip even in the wet. But they could be a bit thicker, like the Rogues are.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I've had a grip slip, because I did not tighten it down enough. Torqued it down, no problems.

I did have a crash at platty where my bar stabbed the ground pretty hard and the aluminum ring was ripped off the bar, it still never slipped with only one clamp for the remained of the run down the hill.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I tried ODI Ruffian and Rogue grips and even a set of Pro's. The Pro's and one of the ODI's had no padding. I may as well have glued sandpaper to the bar. The other ODI had padding, but wasn't soft.
I purchased a set of GT grips that slid on, just because of the color. I. Figured that after a week of riding they'd fall right off and I'll put the lock ons back on. Instead, they lasted 2 years and I replaced them with the same grips.
Riding DH, my Carpet Tunnel didn't bother me one bit. But doing XC on my Remedy with lock ons killed me.
On my new build I couldn't find the GT grips, but instead found ODI slide on grips that were the same grip. These are one of the most common grips that it seems every company makes. They have like 100 vertical ribs on them. They're SUPER comfortable. As a matter of fact, I let this guy Anthony take my bike for a test run and he bought the same exact bike. Next time I saw him, he came over and asked about the grips and said that's what made the bike "feel" so good.
So, 5 years of using those old technology slide on grips and 5 years of being comfortable on a bike with never losing a grip or having it slide around is good by me!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How "grippy" are those Easton ones? I'm using Odi X-Trainers for 3 years now simply because they provide excellent grip even in the wet. But they could be a bit thicker, like the Rogues are.
I bought the 33mm in black two years ago and they've been fine, I haven't noticed a huge difference from the ODIs on my other bikes but I'm not especially sensitive/or noticing the grips even if I'm hopping on friend's or a demo bike. The only thing that would bother me is if a grip starts slipping or breaking down.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I can see how OCD dudes are gonna rotate the handlebars in stem just to get the color ends of their non-rotatable grips line up with other lines on their bikes.

I call pure BS on this one. Is there a running contest in the industry about how absurd ideas they dare bring to market?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I can see how OCD dudes are gonna rotate the handlebars in stem just to get the color ends of their non-rotatable grips line up with other lines on their bikes.

I call pure BS on this one. Is there a running contest in the industry about how absurd ideas they dare bring to market?
I'm thinking they might be laundering drug money as well. Stuff like this is pricey to develop and produce. Oh, and stupid.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I can see some of the board meetings now.
A bunch of dudes laughing their asses off saying:

"remember how absurd this sounded?"

"yes, but just look at the sales numbers!! These mountain bikers are clearly easier to get money out of than roadies!"

"so what's next years gimmick going to be that will increase sales?"

"I think we'll go with helium filled frames for next year"

"but sir, the frame is not entirely sealed, the helium will leak out through the headset, bottom bracket, seat post, water bottle mounts, etc."

"who cares, this idiots will buy anything"

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Why not vacuum filled frames? You could then sell vacuum pumps that would "bleed air out of frames", too. Or you could reuse the one that's already in your night stand.