Quantcast

Bro's with multiple wheel sizes in their stable

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Do you guys have any problems switching between wheel sizes? I have a a 26 dh bike and trail bike at the moment, and am toying with the idea of adding a dope-ass-swagtastical 27.5 trail bike to the stable. My trail bike sees alot more use than the dh bike. If I pick up a 27.5 trail bike, should I expect some "re calibration" in my riding when switching between the two wheel sizes?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
No problems at all switching between bikes. Except for the convenience issues for spare spokes and tubes thanks to our marketing overlords.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Sup, bro? Thx 4 askin bout my wheel sizes bro. They hella clutch. So goin from 1 to the udder, just smoke a fatty, and kill trail brah. Do it for enduro. Do it for life. #vanlife #hashtagssuck

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I actually do. It is always hard to ride the trails that I am normally using my 26" DH bike on with the 28" cross bike. I feel that the wheels don't make the bike hook up as good and I get out of control whenever I am not carrying the bike. Maybe I need to try a 27.5 bike? :D

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
This is me for past 3 seasons, Carbine 27.5 rocket ship for any trail I have to pedal up. 26" old Turner RFX for lift service days and fat bike around town and all winter. No issue at all switching btwn bikes, never rode a niner tho my fatboy tires are just as tall. Only issue I have is RFX is old, 2000! Has gen 1 Saint which is rapid rise/low normal. Always shift wrong way first couple run DH

My experience is marginal difference between 26, 27.5, and 29. 29" experience based on a couple of rental bikes ridden maybe a couple of hundred miles in OR and AZ.

A bigger difference is that bikes overall have improved greatly in suspension and handling.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I switch daily between 20", 26" and 700c.
Can't stand 27.5"... tried over 20 27.5" bikes and almost instantly just wanted to give each one back straight away..
Zero interest in owning a 29er but they do at least make way more sense to me (if that's your choice).

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I switch between 27.5 trail bike/26"dh bike/26" dirt jump bike...

Only thing I notice is , I'm sketchy as hell on all of them!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@gemini2k Cheers for the dislike :cheers:

if you can't tell any difference switching from a 2.35 to a 2.5 tyre on 26" rim then there's something wrong. If you can't tell the the difference between different circumference wheels there's definitely even more so.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
I didn't know that. Is it a pain to do? Or no issue at all?
No issue at all, actually. You barely notice it stretching and I'd be hard pressed to pass a blind test (as in no markings on the tube) comparison. If anything (could be my imagination - it's not like it is ever a problem with a 27.5" tube...), it is even easier with a 26" as it stays even more seated in the rim as you bend the tire back onto the rim.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I have 2.25 on my trail bike and 2.35 on my dh bike and they both roll as fast as I want them to. They both go over any logs any rocks and any obstacles in the trail plus I always have a big smile on my face when riding

I'll probably get dislikes and neg reps for this but

If I can't go fast enough or clear an obsticle I don't go buy bigger wheels I work on becoming a better rider

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have an issue with different brands of brakes on my bikes than different wheel sizes. My new Dh bike is 27.5 and so is my trail bike. My dj is 26. That is perfectly fine. I have shimano, Sram, and hope brakes on my bikes... That blows..

-Brett

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
@gemini2k Cheers for the dislike :cheers:

if you can't tell any difference switching from a 2.35 to a 2.5 tyre on 26" rim then there's something wrong. If you can't tell the the difference between different circumference wheels there's definitely even more so.
Yes, you should be able to tell the difference. But to say the difference is "OMG Get THIS BIKE AWAY FROM ME an extra 1" Fvcking SUXXORS!" Just make you a total idiot. The difference between 27.5 and 26 is subtle, and makes a marginal difference. A small change in tire pressure probably makes a larger difference. I've got 9 different 2 wheel machines (okay 2 of them are identical frames and 3 are motos). They all get ridden regularly (well as regularly as one with a full time job can ride 9 bikes). I have about 5 or 6 different wheel sizes between them, and none of it really matters.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have about 5 or 6 different wheel sizes between them, and none of it really matters.
Take all of them to a pump track of your choice and see which is the fastest when trying to milk speed from the terrain. 20" wins hands down. Just sayin' :D

And BTW: if it doesn't matter, why have different wheel sizes? Not hating, just wondering.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Take all of them to a pump track of your choice and see which is the fastest when trying to milk speed from the terrain. 20" wins hands down. Just sayin' :D

And BTW: if it doesn't matter, why have different wheel sizes? Not hating, just wondering.

Never! my 2007 26" cannondale chase rules supreme!

Why so many wheel sizes? That's just the way things worked out. No intentional.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If I can't go fast enough or clear an obsticle I don't go buy bigger wheels I work on becoming a better rider
Pretty sure almost no one bought a 27.5 wheeled bike for that reason. Its more a case of that being the only offering available from pretty much 90% of manufacturers these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Pretty sure almost no one bought a 27.5 wheeled bike for that reason. Its more a case of that being the only offering available from pretty much 90% of manufacturers these days.
that's why i'm gonna milk my 6 year old 26" uzzi as my "one " bike until it or its wheels explode, which will be never. it goes everywhere and does whatever i ask of it. i don't even need to worry about the big "size" debate and i don't need to shave seconds from my times on anything.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
that's why i'm gonna milk my 6 year old 26" uzzi as my "one " bike until it or its wheels explode, which will be never. it goes everywhere and does whatever i ask of it. i don't even need to worry about the big "size" debate and i don't need to shave seconds from my times on anything.
They won't ever explode because it is just hanging in your garage....you know...VPP, 26" wheels...unrideable! ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I highly doubt you'll feel the difference between 650b and 26. It's there, but short of running the same bike back to back on the same trail, I doubt you'll be able to tell. As the internet will tell you, 650b isn't that much larger than 26, only like 0.75-1", depending on tires. It's not truly 27.5.

As for 29, there's definitely a difference. Most of the "negatives" that people say are true (they handle slower, they don't like to turn as well, etc.) but they can be compensated for with good frame design and a rider that knows how to turn them into advantages.

As for switching from my 29er trailbike to 26er DH bike, it's barely noticeable. Wheel size isn't that big of a deal. I've got a slacker head angle, more travel, a differently tuned fork and shock, a bike that pedals totally different, a wider bottom bracket, wider bars, shorter stem, flat pedals, no place to sit...if you can really isolate the feeling of a larger radius wheel through all of that, then I'd be impressed. And this is coming from a guy that moved on from 26" trailbikes in 2010. If i had the opportunity to run a 29" DH bike at no cost, then I would, but only because it's better "on paper".

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't have two bikes that are similar enough to ride back to back to look for a difference.

My wife DH's on 27.5 and trail rides on 26", I can hear the world stopping everything she gets on her 26" bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sandwich, have a read of the contradictory bollocks you just typed in those first two paragraphs will you?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich, have a read of the contradictory bollocks you just typed in those first two paragraphs will you?
sorry, to clarify: the difference between two similar trailbikes can be felt switching between two wheelsizes. The difference between a downhill bike and anything else is big enough that you won't be able to feel the wheelsize.

to kidwoo: 27.5+ is one fad I'm not hopping on. All your nightmares about 29" wheels plus squishy sidewalls and zero sideknobs made for a sad fad with the krampus. That's the 15mm axle of wheelsizes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
27.5 on my trail bike, 26" on my DH bike, which rarely gets ridden these days. It's not much different than the usual adjustment needed when going from a trail bike to a DH bike. I wouldn't worry too much about it, and I definitely wouldn't let it stop you from getting a 27.5 trail bike.

That said, I personally think it's crazy to suggest there is no noticeable difference. Especially for admitted bike nerds who actually ride and pay attention to how their bike feels.