Quantcast

Brooklynmachineworks

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've seen owner & posse at CHP and MCBP more recently than '12, riding Brooklyns... this year even.
Haven't driven by the shop in a while.

U NEED STILL FIXIE BRO?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
seems odd that there never was even a price tag to salvage it. Great people and what a plush riding bike!

A carbon fiber/650 version from wantia would be something more to drool over than that sunn proto!

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
true about the silencer.
Kid years ago at mtn creek had one set up as a lighter version. I'm guessing 2007? I think he claimed around 40 lbs.

The silencer only seemed to do one thing,,, silent the production and it has the wrong wrong brand identity. The Brooklyn logo was something marketable beyond people that ride. I thought they sold sweatshirts and t's in Asia?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
true about the silencer.
Kid years ago at mtn creek had one set up as a lighter version. I'm guessing 2007? I think he claimed around 40 lbs.

The silencer only seemed to do one thing,,, silent the production and it has the wrong wrong brand identity. The Brooklyn logo was something marketable beyond people that ride. I thought they sold sweatshirts and t's in Asia?
i also remember someone having a racelink built up super light. sounds about right in terms of weight / year.

brand identity was irrelevent, anyone who knew doc knew the quality of his bikes.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
It was something special to me every time I got to take a BMW for a run. I never owned one, car pooled with my friend who had one. That bike is in Hawaii now and the owner hasn't found a bike he likes better (carbon fiber trek had nothing on it to him;)..

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
i also remember someone having a racelink built up super light. sounds about right in terms of weight / year.

brand identity was irrelevent, anyone who knew doc knew the quality of his bikes.
I thought most of them cracked on the swingarm?

I would have liked one of these-

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I thought most of them cracked on the swingarm?
i believe there were a handful that did, but IIRC it was never a prevalent issue. I seem to recall that one of the first batches was built with a lighter tubeset as they were intended to be true race bikes, so that may have been part of it.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005

Dunno if this is the Race Link you were thinking of, but I was riding it at Creek a fair amount then and eventually managed to get her down to 42lbs. For some reason the lighter weight still didn't make it corner any better though hahahahaha

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
i believe there were a handful that did, but IIRC it was never a prevalent issue. I seem to recall that one of the first batches was built with a lighter tubeset as they were intended to be true race bikes, so that may have been part of it.
Yup, the original 14 were built with a lighter tubeset that also lacked the gussets found on the newer frames. My old RL was number 96/12 because the original front triangle cracked at the headtube. After I sold it though, it did eventually crack through the swingarm too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yup, the original 14 were built with a lighter tubeset that also lacked the gussets found on the newer frames. My old RL was number 96/12 because the original front triangle cracked at the headtube. After I sold it though, it did eventually crack through the swingarm too.
I had #17 which had the older headtube gussets and I presumed therefore the lighter tubeset. I didn't see a swingarm crack, but woodys minilink died that way, and I looked at another RL that had a cracked swingarm, so I passed. He always complained about his being so flexy. Not sure I'd go for a silencer without a traingulated swingarm.