Quantcast

Broken thumb, caused by wrist wrap?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I took a fall at Mountain Creek at the end of June with my front tire sliding out on a berm.
It was extremely dry and dusty and happened really fast. My feet didn't even come off the pedals nor my hands off of the handlebar (I think). It resulted in a bruised thigh (landed directly on my phone), bruised shoulder, bruised ego, and a broken thumb (Bennet's fracture). I fell on my left side but broke my right thumb.??

Got the pins out and the cast off on Monday and am taking things slow.
However, I'm suddenly wondering if my 661 wrist wrap, the one with the strap that goes between your thumb and pointer finger may have been part of the cause.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Or any recommendations for recovering from a broken thumb?

Of course, my right wrist is now very weak but I'm wondering if I should ever put the support back on as a result of this injury...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's apparently so common that it's a Wikipedia mention, so you gotta believe no correlation. Leverage on that brace is in the wrong place and it's not a Leatt that re-distrbutes force to that area. If anything, you might could argue for that brace to put your other connective tissue at risk further up the arm, but not much of a theory there.

Mechanism of injuryThe Bennett's fracture is an oblique intraarticular metacarpal fracture dislocation, caused by an axial force directed against the partially flexed metacarpal. This type of compression along the metacarpal bone is often sustained when a person punches a hard object, such as the skull or tibia of an opponent, or a wall. It can also occur as a result of a fall onto the thumb. This is a common injury sustained from bike falls, as the thumb is generally extended while around the handle bars.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
It's apparently so common that it's a Wikipedia mention, so you gotta believe no correlation. Leverage on that brace is in the wrong place and it's not a Leatt that re-distrbutes force to that area. If anything, you might could argue for that brace to put your other connective tissue at risk further up the arm, but not much of a theory there.
That's what I originally thought, that the handlebar itself caused the fracture, from the force on impact.

But when thinking about putting the brace on to ride again. that strap is exactly where the break occurred and probably the last thing I want to wear at this point.

This lead me to think that the brace could have possibly been the cause of the break. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else that has worn this type of brace and had a similar injury as a result.

The purpose of the strap is obviously to keep the brace in place. I guess I need to look for a new brace (with no strap).

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I broke my thumb a few years ago.
Recovered really fast with this revolutionary physio method that i developped myself.
Its called "playing Call of Duty on your Playstation" but i think u can also use other games and maybe even an xbox.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
yeah, I was never into video games.

I was always busy outside riding my bike or skateboard.

I'm headed to physical therapy tomorrow. It seems a bit silly to me but until this accident, I never knew how useless my left hand really is.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
That's probably the reaction of most kid's these days.

Maybe they (and you) should get outside and on the mountain....wait I think I just said kids don't belong in DH in another thread a few days ago. I take it back! Get 'em outside and into the light!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That's probably the reaction of most kid's these days.

Maybe they (and you) should get outside and on the mountain....wait I think I just said kids don't belong in DH in another thread a few days ago. I take it back! Get 'em outside and into the light!
haha I was just thinking this as I was reading your post!

I am not a fan of wrist "braces" or any other sort of brace, I think they just further develop more weakness that can be eliminated through proper PT or exercise.

That said I know nothing of the 661 brace you are wearing.

I hope your thumb heals, it's a useful little booger.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I hope your thumb heals, it's a useful little booger.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the healing vibes! It's been a really long summer without riding or exercise.
My drinking has quadrupled as a result and I'm now watching reality television with my wife every night, bad reality television....like "housewives".

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Broken thumbs suck. When I broke mine, it took me out for almost the entire summer. I think I had a similar break to you too. I forget the name of the fracture that the doctor said, but he said it was similar to "gamekeeper's thumb" or "skiiers thumb".

I didn't have pins and wires though, that blows! All they did with me was push the piece of bone that was attached to the tendon back into place and form the cast around it to hold it there.

Now my thumb has an obvious bump where the bone healed. After I got the cast off, I had to take it slow. Not because I wanted to or anything, but because my thumb hardly worked. The range of motion was next to nothing and it felt incredibly week. Even now, two years later, I can feel weakness when I try to pinch things or if the thumb moves in a certain direction.

I would just get your hands and wrists extra strong through extra curricular activities and ditch the wraps. Gloves all the way.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Broke mine in Whistler a couple of years ago, range of motion still sucks :/

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yeah, I was never into video games.

I was always busy outside riding my bike or skateboard.

I'm headed to physical therapy tomorrow. It seems a bit silly to me but until this accident, I never knew how useless my left hand really is.
you'll get good with it. I broke my right wrist (also right handed) and its amazing how quick you pick it up. Now days i pretend its a trick shot when i play beer pong left handed.