Quantcast

Boxxer R2C2 Compression Issue -- Shim Stack Question

Nixxk

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
compression.jpg

This is the Shim Stack i found on my 2011 Boxxer.
I changed for a lighter spring and notice that the compression nobs did not make a lot of difference...

Anybody took their fork apart that can comment on this ?

Anyways i will put the little guy where i think it should go...
Hopefully it will make a difference..

Oil height and weight is good.

Attachments

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
double the number of shims. MOOOOAAAAARRR.

but actually, seriously for real, doubling down works pretty well. Udi has a better guide with more specific shims, but if you can get ahold of another compression damper that works pretty well.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
As above, doubling some of the shims will probably work well for a start - or better yet if you have access to purchasing shims, replace some of the large shims with ones 2x the thickness. Like you said the adjusters do not make a lot of difference with stock valving, it is very light. Once you valve it heavier, the adjusters will make a more noticeable difference.

You can remove the crossover shim (small shim between larger shims) as it is a bit silly to have a dual stage stack when the HS adjuster is compressing the 'gap' that is created by a crossover shim. Removing it will simplify tuning in this case.

All the information you want and more is in this thread, there are some good posts by 'nybike1971' and others.