Quantcast

Bottom bracket for Saint M815 83mm cranks

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I just picked up a set of used Saint 83mm M815-1 cranks with no bottom bracket. Is there any reason I should go with one brand's external bottom bracket (Shimano, Raceface, FSA, MRP, etc) over another company's bottom bracket (excluding the high end $100+ bottom brackets)?

Right now I am primarily looking at the Raceface X-Type DH BB primarily because I can get a new one for $37 shipped. The cheapest I can find the Saint bottom bracket is $49 shipped.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
FSA bottom brackets have much worse sealed bearings than Shimano bb's, I'd avoid them.
And I have also heard similar stories of Raceface bb's, so I think your best bet is to use Shimano bb.

I replaced my seized FSA 83mm bb (not Quad bearing version) with Shimano XT 73mm bb, I just used the plastic tube spacer from the FSA and the cups from the XT, works wonderfully.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The Shimano unit uses better seals and bearings. I would spend the extra personally.

There is some detailed information in this thread and a good article here which will answer all your questions.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I'm pretty sure you can't use a X-Type Race Face bb on a shimano crank. Proprietary interfaces.

For 10$ more, stick with shimano, they make killer bb(s). I've had a saint bb for 4 years and its still going strong today. You can also go SLX, a bit cheaper. Only difference is the thread depth. Saint bbs have longer driveside threads in order to accomodate bb mounted chainguides and still maintain a deep thread insertion. The difference is marginal and not important unless you plan hucking bender like cliffs.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The Shimano unit uses better seals and bearings. I would spend the extra personally.

There is some detailed information in this thread and a good article here which will answer all your questions.
Thanks for the info. I do, however, find it hard to believe that the bottom brackets have not changed in the 6 years since that thread/article. Some more recent data would be nice.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've owned the Shimano offerings since before that article until now - the design has remained essentially unchanged, and lifespan seems to be consistent. I haven't owned RF offerings to comment on those.

In fairness, we're also talking about a $12 difference - surely not a huge deal. As suggested above, you can also use the cheaper XT or SLX offerings that are essentially the same aside from shorter thread depth on drive side, which I haven't found to be an issue.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I don't doubt that the Shimano hasn't changed much if at all (don't fix what isn't broke), but if the Raceface was that inferior, then they might have changed. Also, I can't go the XT route because I need the 83mm dust shield as well.

I agree with the $12 difference statement though...might as well just get the Saints.