Quantcast

Bone VPD Leg vs Alpinestar Moab

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by intensified, Feb 23, 2013.

1. intensified Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   1
    Going to mix it up and swap back to flats when im feeling it and need to protect them shins. I narrowed it down to the POC or Moab and have used fox launch with good luck and 661 before that when I used flats about 7 years ago. Since then its just been covering up the knees.

Anyone tried both of them? The 2013 moabs get great feedback.
  2. norbar Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    I own 2011 moabs and I like them but after trying poc I wish I had them.
  3. dbozman New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Conversely, I owned the POCs but not the A-stars. I really liked the POCS, but only wore them for DH; I couldn't imagine doing pedal rides in them (which may or may not be what you're talking about).
  4. intensified Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   1
    ill be using them just for dhing with the lazy lift getting me to the top :thumb:

How is the protection on the back of the leg with the pocs? it mentions that they have a pad you can remove. i am sure i will tear up or the back of my leg since it been a while since running flats.
  5. Marius New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I ride the Moab and I`m really happy with it for DH. At first they they might fit a bit weird at the knee but after getting used to it they are perfect. The first ones which don`t move around and during a crash they exactly protect where they should.
  6. nelsonjm New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I use the Poc Bone VPD and will be moving away from them.

The good:
    - Excellent protection above the knee
    - Optional pads on back let you slam your pedals against the back of your calves without any fear of bleeding out.
    - No knee chafing due to the kneecap thing that is separate from the lower part of the pad (a really smart design here)

The downside to them is they are:
    - The number one issue for me is they would always shift to the outside of my leg. I have to re-position them after every shuttle run.
    - HOT oh lordy.. I couldn't imagine pedaling in these things, unless it was winter.
    - The pads don't sit flush against your shins.. that's kinda OK for breathability, but it let lots of dirt get trapped between your shin and the pad.
    -Perhaps it's me vs the pads.. but even after washing them, they seemed to hold their funk pretty well.

Other comments:
    The VPD component of these pads stayed hard until they have been sitting againt your body for a while and have the chance to heat up.
    If you have thick calves, it will take a while to stretch them out.
    For sizing info: I'm 5'7" and use the medium. If anything, they are slightly too large for me.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. intensified Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   1
    thats awesome info, no such thing as the perfect pad. the Moabs look like they go on very secure and would stay cooler. I totally dig the sound of the back of the leg protection on the VPD, the Moab looks like it will get filleted back there with the materials its made of. I do expect to look like i got into a fight with a cat til this whole flat pedal things comes back to me, its usually when i am just pushing the bike that i get attacked more often than not.
  8. dbozman New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Fit is so subjective, based on body type. I'm tall with long legs and pretty skinny calves. The POCs fit my legs perfectly and didn't move at all. I live in Arizona, and didn't notice them being hotter (or cooler) than anything else I've worn.

The only thing I didn't like was the white color.
  9. norbar Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    I have fat calves and they still fit me great. Imho better than moabs.
  10. nelsonjm New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I forgot to mention that in both pairs of POC VPD pads I got, the orange square (it's a piece of rubber that connects the white kneecap to the white shin plastic) gave out pretty quick (a few months). Fishing line will fix this.
  11. sethimus Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   4
    154146_1358678745450_901896_n.jpg

these poc ones do what they are supposed to, knee straight into a sharp rock, hidden under the snow...
  12. karpi New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I use moabs and gonna keep using them until the dont make them anymore. By far the best knee pads ive ever had period!
  13. intensified Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   1
    I wonder if that VPD pad cracked due to being cold if you were riding in the snow. Still better than you knee
    sethimus

Karpi good to hear a vote for the moab, are you running the 2013's?
  14. nelsonjm New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    :blink: DAMN! I have no doubts the pads worked.. but I really can't imagine anything causing that much damadge to them. Very impressive. I hope you kissed your kneecaps after that.

So the cold will make the VPD hard (less pliable might be a better term), but that shouldn't affect their protective abilities.. and the part that broke there was the hard shell.
  15. sethimus Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   4
    only the plastic cracked, the vpd is still fine, as was my knee. i may have used them outside the usual temperatures as i rode them in -20°C on the kaunertal glacier in austria last winter (not with the bike, but with the snowscoot)